Some Carbon Arc Videos

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
Just saw this online thought i would post it up

Bit noisy with the massive generator running in a small space but eventually they get it lit up :)

also video of generator 56kw IIRC used to power a pair of the lights

better video of one actually outside and working 150cm German light 24kw :)

Also found a vid of the 80inch carbon arc which is on top of the city hall (university city, missouri) which still works although now using some of the insides of the 60inch ww2 lights rather than its original configuration
[h=1][/h]

Last edited:

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing can beat the throw of those. they are the kings of throw. I wonder which one holds the crown for king of throw. I though i saw somewhere that one of these old lights did upwards of 4 billion cp or something like that.

now I want that throw in a handheld light please lol

Magio

Enlightened
From what I have seen most of the vintage 60in carbon arcs were rated at about 800million candlepower. Thats pretty intense, however even these have been outshined by the current king of throw, the 60in NASA zArc M7 which has a max beam candlepower of about 23billion.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have seen most of the vintage 60in carbon arcs were rated at about 800million candlepower. Thats pretty intense, however even these have been outshined by the current king of throw, the 60in NASA zArc M7 which has a max beam candlepower of about 23billion.

holy crap. 23 billion. Thats is a stupid amount if throw. What does 23 billion cp translate into miles of range?

PolarLi

Enlightened
however even these have been outshined by the current king of throw, the 60in NASA zArc M7 which has a max beam candlepower of about 23billion.

I was on their website, and i'm sorry, but their cp claims are BS.
1.46 Billion cp in a 16" reflector using a 850 watt Emarc lamp. Right...
It does say in fine print their candlepower ratings are based on a "proper NASA formula"
whatever that means.

sven_m

Newly Enlightened
[...] better video of one actually outside and working 150cm German light 24kw [...]

I was attending that 150cm (60") show. And I was able to get a glance at electrodes with arc through a welding glass:

I had a luxmeter with me but unfortunately there was no way to illuminate an accessible point in 100+ m distance to measure illumination.

[60in NASA zArc M7]
I was on their website, and i'm sorry, but their cp claims are BS.
1.46 Billion cp in a 16" reflector using a 850 watt Emarc lamp. Right...

I agree. The big one might be built with 7 x 18" reflectors, each allegedly having 3.3 GCP.
That would require a light source with (3.3*10^9)/(9"^2*pi)/.9 =~ 22000 cd/mm².
HID sources currently max at 1000-2000 cd/mm².
I haven't found Emarc luminance data and it might be a good source, but it's just an HID.
An educated guess (even optimistic) thus would be 1000cd/mm²*(9"^2*pi)/.9 * 7 =~ 147 Mcd * 7 = 1 Gcd for the big one.
As expected: No big difference from a carbon rod searchlight with the same "diameter".