Some questions on Streamlight 4AA Luxeon

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, sure did. But I inherited a couple of LEDBeams, and I use the C's in those lights now. And if you're not going to be using them on a frequent basis, the primaries will probably do fine. After all, the cost of 3 primaries doesn't even equal the cost of a single NiMH C sized battery, and you'd have to go through about 4 sets of alkalines (many lights get lost before that point) before you even break even with using NiMH batteries (presuming you already have the charger, otherwise add 5 more sets.)

Dawg said:
Nice catch. You obviously had first hand experience with the C cells not working. I would be perfectly content to use only primary cells as these lights will be pressed into service in a place where they won't be used every day. NIMH are not good for anything but regular use appliances, IMHO.

veleno

Enlightened
How does lithium batteries work with this flashlight? May I have a longer runtime with the same output that I have with alkaline batteries? I'm not expert about batteries... so better alkaline or lithium for the Propolymer?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does lithium batteries work with this flashlight?>>>>>>>>

It is my STRONG impression that the 4AA Lux is driven quite hard with alkalines. It's all right with me, it just makes it a bright, useful light.

I put it in the same catogory as the PT Surge. Also overdriven (although an incandescent).

I'd stick with alkalines on this one.

I DO use Lithiums in a lot of my lights (Fenix LOP, L1P, etc).

Lordy, I'd give an arm and a leg to have a Fenix L1P, or L2P this bright.

BB62

Newly Enlightened
CHC said:
I also have the DB-3W, but I've "misted" the reflector to produce a W-I-D-E F-L-O-O-D lighting pattern, and I don't remember what it looks like prior to that since it's been awhile now. But more than likely, what Dawg said...

CHC,

How did you "mist" the reflector?

I just bought four SL 4AA PP Luxeon (gee, one ought to have a license to have something with so long a name!) from Fox International ($24.95 per) and am THRILLED!!

The amount of focused light is simply amazing. I am astounded. I put Energizer NiMh (2100 mah) in mine and it works quite well. I have not left one on for a few hours just to see how it does, but I will be doing so later today.

I am interested in your "misting" method, though, as I could see some benefit to it.

THANKS to all here and Flashlight Reviews for the info. I changed my selection from a Princeton Tec Impact XL to the SL and am VERY impressed.

BB62

Last edited:

Donovan

Enlightened
JohnK said:
How does lithium batteries work with this flashlight?>>>>>>>>

It is my STRONG impression that the 4AA Lux is driven quite hard with alkalines. It's all right with me, it just makes it a bright, useful light.

I put it in the same catogory as the PT Surge. Also overdriven (although an incandescent).

I'd stick with alkalines on this one.
No need to worry about using Lithiums or rechargables in the 4aa lux, it accepts these just fine. It is not just a simple boost circuit but fully regulated one. Lithiums will not drive the LED any harder than any other battery type and makes absolutely no difference in brightness.

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_propolyluxeon.htm

CLHC

Flashaholic
BB62 said:
How did you "mist" the reflector?
Greetings and Welcome!

The "mist" (frosting) on my stock reflector is on my Maglite and not on the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon. Although I think it can be done if one takes precautions to not damaging the "domed" LED (by taping off) and scratching the reflector's walls.. :thinking:

I used the clear RUST-OLEUM Specialty Lacquer High Lustre Coating. It took a few minutes of trial and error at first on a practice "blank" before I got enough confidence to do it. I simply sprayed intermittently (in bursts) from about waist high onto the reflector, allowing to dry in-between coats until I got the desired "mist" on the reflector. That's it.

Enjoy!

BB62

Newly Enlightened
CHC said:
Greetings and Welcome!

The "mist" (frosting) on my stock reflector is on my Maglite and not on the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon. Although I think it can be done if one takes precautions to not damaging the "domed" LED (by taping off) and scratching the reflector's walls.. :thinking:

I used the clear RUST-OLEUM Specialty Lacquer High Lustre Coating. It took a few minutes of trial and error at first on a practice "blank" before I got enough confidence to do it. I simply sprayed intermittently (in bursts) from about waist high onto the reflector, allowing to dry in-between coats until I got the desired "mist" on the reflector. That's it.

Enjoy!

Interesting!

I presume it changed your light from a strong thrower to more of a balanced throw/flood?

BTW, the results of my "test" yesterday was that using the aforementioned batteries, the light stayed at a constant (or perceivably constant) brightness for 4 hours, then dropped off quite a bit. It was still very usable, but there was substantially less throw and flood.

Again, I am impressed!!

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing back from you.

BB62

CLHC

Flashaholic
BB62 said:
I presume it changed your light from a strong thrower to more of a balanced throw/flood?
Yes Indeed it Did! And that's what I was intending with my 3D Maglite outfitted with the DB-3W Diamond LED. Nice Smooth Even round [flood] light (SureFire like) with no dark spots (after twisting the bezel to find that sweet-spot) to be found.

Maybe I should try that out a little with the next Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon—:thinking:

Illum

Flashaholic
Personally my SL PP 4AA luxeon is a powerful tool for throw...but its a lemon as flood...

as the parabolic smooth relector goes, the light travels foward, not outwards...and since the parabolic arch of the reflector is deepened, what you wind up getting as output is a angry dot of light projected up to over 50-100 feet range with no flood to light up the surrounding...

Im told this is normal for this light, so I use it hand in hand with my inova XO, which can double as a "semi-spot-flood" if necessary.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not all that different with a high powered incandescent light (e.g. Mag Charger or Streamlight SL-20) that is focused to a spot either. You'll get usable sidespill at shorter distances but as the distance increases the spill diminishes or becomes nonexistent as the lower light level from the spill falls off.

Illum_the_nation said:
Personally my SL PP 4AA luxeon is a powerful tool for throw...but its a lemon as flood...

as the parabolic smooth relector goes, the light travels foward, not outwards...and since the parabolic arch of the reflector is deepened, what you wind up getting as output is a angry dot of light projected up to over 50-100 feet range with no flood to light up the surrounding...

Im told this is normal for this light, so I use it hand in hand with my inova XO, which can double as a "semi-spot-flood" if necessary.