Sooo I bought a few extra Fenix D01 keychain lights and gave one to my brother ....

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well there's the LD01 and there's the E01. Looks like a typo either way. :shrug:

No biggie.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your most likely correct but since all the other replies where as if a D01 exists, I'm just curious if there's a Fenix model I don't know about.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another angle on smart phone an using as lighting, its usually needed at the end of the work day when the phone is wearing down from the day's usage, now you need light too out of what's left of its battery.
It may be enough, it may not.

Also hard to grip with your teeth an use light at same time in less then ideal environments where you'd never set down a expensive phone.
Also easier to drop if jostled when using as a light source.

Last thought on them, if you loan a flashlight, you never have to worry about others snooping through your stuff while out of sight.

I'm guessing op meant LD01.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a coworker make one decent point to using a phone flashlight one time and I couldn't really argue with him. He has an iPhone in an otterbox and carries it in the belt clip holster with the back/flashlight side facing out. He said there have been times when he needed his hands free to do something and with it being belt mounted he could slide it over his belt buckle and have hands free lighting. While I carry a headlamp in my edc bag, it isn't a bad idea if its just for a short time I reckon.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
Gosh I like flashlights (yea think!) but he does have a point. The iPhone light probably does much of what most people require. I sure as heck wouldn't want to depend on one in the woods, bad weather or during an extended blackout but for many applications it works fine.

Well, the thing is; what if there was a bad situation and you needed a light, but too, you needed communication! Would you drain your chances to make phone calls or text so you can see? Most people have room on their keychains for a little AAA light, it's really not a big deal. I run a Fenix E05 and use it at least once or twice a day for something or other.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the thing is; what if there was a bad situation and you needed a light, but too, you needed communication! Would you drain your chances to make phone calls or text so you can see? Most people have room on their keychains for a little AAA light, it's really not a big deal. I run a Fenix E05 and use it at least once or twice a day for something or other.
Well at least it tail stands and I've never heard a soul say they don't like the tint of its light.
Not that I've been looking for that myself, but around here I've never read that☺

If I see a friend of mine doing that with his phone, using it as a light, I'll call him a couple times ☺

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

I totally agree with you and said as much in my post. A bad situation hopeful is the extreme exception not the norm which again I said in my post. Here take a look again.

Gosh I like flashlights (yea think!) but he does have a point. The iPhone light probably does much of what most people require. I sure as heck wouldn't want to depend on one in the woods, bad weather or during an extended blackout but for many applications it works fine.

Perhaps my words didn't get translated as I hoped. One of the problems with communication only using the written word. Still what I said stands. For many applications the phone light works just fine. I EDC a flashlight in addition to having a light on my phone but totally understand why your brother said what he did. It's not my way and clearly not yours but it's not an irrational or crazy thought.

1DaveN

Enlightened
The only light I'm never without is a little UST zipper/keychain light that cost about $10 including an extra set of coin cell batteries. I'd never criticize anyone for using a phone light when I'm walking around with that :)

(I do bring more serious lights along when I'm outside my immediate neighborhood, and I'm getting ready to upgrade my car light. Fenix Store says there's a new E15 coming, so I'll probably wait for specs on that).

Learningtobeprepared

Newly Enlightened
It bugs the heck out of me to hear that. I have had people ask me why I carry a light, I ask them if half of the day is dark and of course they say yes and I tell them that's why. Their answer is they have a light on their phone to which I ask what they will do when the battery goes dead and they have no light or phone, normally I'm met with blank stares.

LOL. "...I'm met with blank stares". Awesome.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Eh...let it go.
If he's happy with a phone light...so be it.

At some point he may use it. But you cannot force your will onto others.
Besides...most people can't be reached.

At some point give a light to somebody who needs it...
We can't save those who don't want to be.

My brother and I wasted decades trying to impose our will onto each other. One day we stopped.
Amazingly we share habits and hobbies off each other better ever since. Seems like when we stopped acting like two little hitlers we communicate very well anymore.

Last edited:

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
Wyh would you need a fenix d 01 if you already have a 500$ cell phone light?

1. To reserve your cell power in an emergency.
2. To be able to talk in the dark while aiming the light to pin point something... and yeah, you can do this on speaker phone, but it sucks extra power.
3. A Fenix E01 is good for about ... ohhh how about 50 some hours? I'm just guessing and how long will an iPhone battery last if the light is on?
4. An E01 is small, compact and easy to carry .... waterproof too. Go ahead and use your iPhone in a pouring rainstorm and see how it holds up.
5. This space is reserved for another really good reason.
6. The Apple store may not be open if your phone battery isn't holding a charge very long, but you can buy AAA batteries anywhere.
7. If a giant Solar flare hit the earth, all the iPhones and their functions would be down, but your E01 will probably still work.
8. If Zombies from outer space attacked the earth, the first thing they would do is collect up everyone's cell phones but they would never EVER think of grabbing peoples keys or flashlights, especially if they were all dumped in a big pit... I mean what good are keys?

Those are a few good reasons, I hope that helps ....:)