SOS and Strobe

Beastmaster

Enlightened
[babblemode]

...besides, I think it may have something to do with the processor having more room for a little bit more code that's not hard to add. Why not, as has been said - rather have it & not need it than to need it and not have it.

Believe me there are indeed many scenarios where that extra "photonic bling" comes in handy (especially up here in Alaska!).

I'm speculating the extra "bling/gadget factor" probably appeals to "Joe Average" citizen (Indiana Jones wannabes?) as well? :thinking: How many people really don't need a Hummer, but it's the "cool" thing to drive?

[/babblemode]

Hehe....I've driven a Hummer way before it was a cool thing to drive/own.

I've never had any sort of strobe on any of my lights until I bought a Novatac and got an eval of the OpticsHQ/Tactical Light Solutions 6P tail cap.

Since I got them, I've used the strobe twice. So I can say it's definitely useful.

-Steve

J!m

Newly Enlightened
I agree: Better to have and not need, than to need and not have... "Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best." is a popular one we use when preparing for our expeditions.

That being said, I can certainly see situations where accidentally activating a strobe or SOS function would attract unnecessary attention to yourself.:oops:

On the other hand, those persons in those situations would not select such a complex light either. :poke:On-off-momentary are all those persons might need, and perhaps no more than on-off. If you want less output, change the light completely, or install a flip-up ND filter.

Now for those of use who may not be in those types of situations:whistle:, not only do I endorse the SOS and STROBE functions, I also suggest adding an unusually colored 'gel' filter (which can be rolled up inside the light around the batteries for storage) so the light you signal with is not 'white'. Blue is a good choice for signaling on the highway as you change a tire, as it is likely to be mistaken for a Police vehicle from a mile away (either strobe or SOS are good for this). Orange or red might be good in the forest, or even the blue again. Gels are paper thin and weigh nothing...:thumbsup:

So, if you use your light with a firearm, you probably already know that 'less is more'. For those who may find themselves in a bad situation, and need to signal for help (by the way, a whistle should be in your essential gear as well) the strobe and SOS are good additions.

I stated elsewhere that I think a lock-out of some kind would be good to prevent accidental activation, but I think it really is not necessary; just change the light if you don't have use of the functions. There are many others to chose from!:thumbsup:

AluminumOvercast

Enlightened
I'm definitely not into strobes or SOS. Has anyone here really used SOS in a real world situation, or came even close to it? It's one feature that is best not used, but I just feel it's useless 99% of the time.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree: Better to have and not need, than to need and not have... "Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best." is a popular one we use when preparing for our expeditions.

The thing is, I think whether the notion of "better to have and not need" is applicable here is open to serious question. I find the arguments for SOS to be weak at best, and the fact that some manufacturers' SOS are so slow that the intended recipient might fall asleep before it finishes a cycles makes things worse. Strobes are a bit more proven and reasonable, fast strobe for tactical purposes and slow strobe for wilderness rescue purposes are reasonably well-accepted, although whether my EDC really needs these features is open to serious debate, especially if it's a tactical strobe that is not fast enough and is not coupled with a UI that is appropriate for tactical use.

Anyway, that's a lot of words to say that I don't think the anti-SOS/Strobers are sticking their heads in the sand, I think the utility of these features on our EDC lights is open to debate by reasonable people. Of course, as I argued above, if these features are coupled with a well-designed UI, there would be no need for controversy.

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like the jetbeam pro ui with the sos strobe grouped separately.

if your a biker ,both are useful. a blinking light is more noticeable than any steady bright one. a strobe, even more aggressive for those careless drivers.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a flashlight doesn't have SOS, it can be tapped out with the button. The SOS mode is easier and you can set it down, but most flashlights can flash SOS in a pinch.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kind of like safety belts, spare tires and smoke alarms?

It's not the same ... safety belts, spare tires, and smoke alarms save people all the time. How many actual, as opposed to fantasy, rescues have there been that can be attributed to an SOS features on a light? And of those, how many can be attributed to it actually blinking out SOS instead of a regular strobe? For me, safety belts are real safety, SOS mode is fantasy safety.

Illum

Flashaholic
agreed, from a standpoint of getting attention, strobe gets attention better than SOS...but PWM based strobes drives me nuts... zzz! zzz! zzz! zzz!:ohgeez:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I didn't realize my post would cause such heavy handed thoughts. I guess after reading everyones comments my preference would be to have these items (strobe and SOS) only if they were silently in the background until needed. I don't want to cycle through a feature I may use very rarely. It looks like Surefire may have a great way of providing these features. If you want it you must manually turn a selector ring for it. Now thats a UI I am very much looking forward to, and the reason these features were on my mind. There but never seen unless you do really need it!

Bill

frank777

Enlightened
I have used strobe to be seen by cars at night, and for scaring away dogs on my night runs. Never used SOS. In an emergency, I think the strobe would be more effective at drawing attention than SOS.

In regards to user interface, one should NEVER have to cycle through them or have it be something that is accidentally activated. I have actually sold flashlights because of this (ex: VB-16, PD2). My favorite light remains the Surefire U2 (no strobe or SOS).

Wattnot

Enlightened
How many actual, as opposed to fantasy, rescues have there been that can be attributed to an SOS features on a light?

Okay . . . is there published data available on this? Because people seem so certain it's never happened.

I can see being annoyed at an unwanted feature that gets in the way of your use and enjoyment of the product, but while there are other options available, don't tell me I can't or shouldn't have it. Don't use it or buy one with out it. This thread is starting to sound like the censorship types who demand shows be removed from TV . . . just change the channel. Nobody is making you watch. :devil:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa, some perspective is needed. This isn't remotely akin to censorship type arguments, that analogy isn't apt at all. It's a matter of stating one's opinon, and why -- doing so does not obligate anyone to do anything. Plus, we enjoy swapping opinions with each other, even when the other person is wro^H^H^H on the other side of the argument from me. You seem to be saying that you're uncomfortable that we're even discussing this? Maybe changing the channel isn't bad advice -- no one is making you watch! :)

Me, I do put my money where my mouth is. I'm no longer buying lights with SOS and strobe when coupled with an intrusive UI, I'm fine with SOS and strobe when coupled with a good UI, and I prefer a strobe feature plus proper UI on a tactical.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been involved in any search and rescues that started with a flashlight beam. They were all initiated by phone, radio or face-to-face "My father with Alzheimers is missing!"

Since I'm not part of our search and rescue team, my experience and second hand knowledge is limited. Our guys use their flashlights all the time to signal each other. Sometimes for emergencies.

But a chopper pilot or boat captain isn't going to investigate or even report every light, flashing or not, that he sees. He'd have to understand it to be a distress call. Think about the Open Water scenario--your dive boat has left you floating in the ocean. A light that strobes MIGHT be unusual enough to be investigated by the Coast Guard, but any serious boater or pilot will quickly recognize the meaning of SOS. It's unambiguous.

People assume that they will be stranded on the dark side of the moon. That's rarely the case. More often, they will be injured or sick within some miles of a road or settlement. In that case, lights aren't unusual enough to attract much attention. You might think, "Hmm. Light in the woods, probably a hunter."

The best way to protect yourself is not a flashlight, but redundant radio frequency transmitters.

DM51

Flashaholic
Wow, I didn't realize my post would cause such heavy handed thoughts.
Bill, about a year ago, the strobe vs. no-strobe argument was a regular feature here. It hasn't come up recently, so there was no particular reason you could have known that.

One side doesn't want Strobe & SOS features because they don't think they serve any real-world use and they complicate the UI, and the other side says these features are potentially very useful, and they want to have them.

Unfortunately, it sometimes doesn't end there, and sooner or later we get one side accusing the other of forcing them to have features they don't want, and the other accusing the first of trying to prevent these features being made available.

The problem is that it is essentially a sterile argument, as the matter has already been decided. The manufacturers have done their market research, and they have made their products with features they think will be popular and will sell. Some lights have Strobe/SOS, and others do not.

If people feel strongly enough about this, one way or the other, they will buy a light which caters to their particular view. Apart from voting with their wallets, there is not a great deal more they can do about it.

A sensible discussion should be possible about whether or not these features are useful or desirable, but getting too overheated about it will certainly achieve nothing at all, and I would ask members to bear that in mind.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I don't like or want SOS OR strobe.

If I need the light to do funky blinky crap I'll just manipulate the switch or the head to make it happen. Or even wave my hand in front of it. I know it is usefull to some but not me.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I wonder if they will ever actually have a real world use
I walk the dogs on a dimly lit street, often in the dark. A 120 lumen strobe keeps drivers much farther away than 120 constant lumens:grin2:

My favorite light remains the Surefire U2
Talk about a sweet & simple UI. I'd love to see a single cell U2.

Last edited:

Fird

Enlightened
heh, won't buy a light that has them. If someone is in need of SOS, they ought to be able to flash it out using momentary-on (if you don't know the pattern, then maybe you don't deserve to be rescued..), and strobe can be done that way as well. In a "tactical" situation (so far my experience includes airsoft... and that's it lol) I'd want to control the blinkies rather than having it just go ape by itself.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
A sensible discussion should be possible about whether or not these features are useful or desirable, but getting too overheated about it will certainly achieve nothing at all, and I would ask members to bear that in mind.

and......I thought that is EXACTLY what we would discuss. The usefulness of such features and the good (preferred) and bad (not preferred) ways different manufacturers integrated them into their UI. I have a light mentioned in my first post that I don't like the way SOS and the Strobe was added. I also mentioned I think I will like the way another manufacturer is about to add these features on their lights. Talking absolutes about anything subject to opinion is inviting trouble and hurt feelings. I for one would never think of doing such a thing and I think most here feel the same.

Great post Dave.

Bill