SOS and Strobe

moses

Enlightened
I use my strobe ALL the time. Just 30 minutes ago, hiking in failing light on a mountain road as cars came by. Slowed down EVERY single car. This happens all the time.

Mo

TJx

Newly Enlightened
I generally don't like them especially when they get in the way of the UI like they do on Fenix lights, which has kept me from buying another.
If they're out of the way like they appear to be on the new SF's, I can live with them.
All this said, Strobe and SOS seem to be a more useful on my new NovaTac 85P although I have not programmed them in yet.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now for those of use who may not be in those types of situations:whistle:, not only do I endorse the SOS and STROBE functions, I also suggest adding an unusually colored 'gel' filter (which can be rolled up inside the light around the batteries for storage) so the light you signal with is not 'white'. Blue is a good choice for signaling on the highway as you change a tire, as it is likely to be mistaken for a Police vehicle from a mile away (either strobe or SOS are good for this). Orange or red might be good in the forest, or even the blue again. Gels are paper thin and weigh nothing...:thumbsup:

Never thought of that, brilliant idea!

IMO...

the basis of either arguement, is whether you think you would use the light in an emergency situation or not. Anyone who thinks along the lines of a Survivor (ie: prepared for the worst) will like the Function. KISS supporters, or those who use lights tactically, or strictly as light, nothing else, will support the NO srobe no SOS thing.

if its such a bad thing, no one would be implementing it. Surefire now has strobe an sos, says alot.

I think the only way to solve this, is to have lights that have SOS/Strobe, but make it completely avoidable so you dont encounter it if you dont want.

Crenshaw

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I generally don't like them especially when they get in the way of the UI like they do on Fenix lights, which has kept me from buying another.
If they're out of the way like they appear to be on the new SF's, I can live with them.
All this said, Strobe and SOS seem to be a more useful on my new NovaTac 85P although I have not programmed them in yet.

Now see there is a interesting tid bit I didn't know. I have never been a fan of the Novatac light because of the diameter of the light. However, being able to program those functions in or out based on the users preference or needs seems like a very smart and satisfying way to do it.

Thanks

Bill

ultimaonliner

Newly Enlightened
Manufacturers should recognize that there is a need to develop a UI that will allow certain features to be disabled (i.e. strobe/flash).

We have Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Apple iPhone's, etc. I think the companies can hammer out a flashlight UI!

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate strobe and SOS modes in multimode lights, because they get in the way of UI operation.
It'd be no trouble if there was a separate switch or mechanism to select the modes, but they are always controlled with the tailcap.
I still hate SOS mode in whatever light it is in, as I find it completely useless.

I have, however, warmed up to strobe since getting my NDI. It doesn't get in the way of normal operation thanks to the dual control, and it really is more effective than standard full-on light in disorienting a hypothetical attacher in the dark, which gives you about a second to hit them in the nose with the strike bezel and/or fist.

But I still wouldn't want it in a single-control multimode light.

The fact that SF is putting it in their lights doesn't bother me in the least, as I don't buy their products due to the generally lousy price/performance ratio.

Qoose

Enlightened
Does anyone know what exactly the UA2 SOS looks like? I've always had the idea that it was more of a long lasting locator beacon, possibly a bright flash every 5 seconds, or 3 flashes every 10 seconds, or an SOS signal every 10 seconds, but either way long lasting. Something that you could set down on dashboard while you regain energy sleeping, and hope that someone sees it, and still be alive when you wake up. It's quoted at 100 hours at the lowest setting, and SOS is at the low end. I would think to SOS at something you see, you would just twist it to high, and just flash thricely at an aircraft or bypassers.

I think the UA2 or UB2 would be great for this. Strobe is a nice attention getter. It would be even better if finding the SOS and Strobe were blocked by a slight resistance. Less with the strobe because I'm assuming it can overridden via Maxblast. I would like to know if that is true though. That would be a great setting, and would probably be my ready mode so that I could go between strobe and MAX for the threat at hand. What I don't want is clicking down the lumens, 8, 4, 2, BLAM 200 FLASH FLASH FLASH! :poof: That being said, I'm getting a UA2. If they do bother me that much, BST exists.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many actual, as opposed to fantasy, rescues have there been that can be attributed to an SOS features on a light?

How many people could have been saved, had they been carrying a light with an SOS?

Yeah, it's like asking how many people could have been saved had seatbelts been introduced earlier... Hard to say. However, currently decent flashlight use ISN'T widespread- in some of the programs about people who survived really bad ordeals, you have to wonder- would they have been in the same position if they could set their light to SOS if within site of civilisation?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many people could have been saved, had they been carrying a light with an SOS?

Yeah, it's like asking how many people could have been saved had seatbelts been introduced earlier... Hard to say. However, currently decent flashlight use ISN'T widespread- in some of the programs about people who survived really bad ordeals, you have to wonder- would they have been in the same position if they could set their light to SOS if within site of civilisation?

And would it have made a difference if it had been a strobe instead? I think these are all reasonable questions. Certainly, if you're being searched for, strobe vs SOS doesn't matter, and in fact strobing is a well-recognized signal, which is why you can buy dedicated strobe lights. But if you're not being looked for ... we don't really know. Which is part of the point, in the "need it and not have it" debate: we don't really know if the "need it" part is really true, either way.

I think I'll retreat back to my original claim: the only reason SOS/strobe is an issue is due to cumbersome UIs. I have never seen anyone complain that their Novatac has SOS and not one but *two* strobe modes. Why? Because the UI is designed so that those modes are there if you want them, but are otherwise invisible to anyone else. I *like* strobe modes on the Gladius, Novatac/HDS, and SF U* models!

Last edited:

ultimaonliner

Newly Enlightened
The best UI IMHO is one where YOU the end user could program the sequence that you want. If you want a 1 mode, then fine. If you want 3 modes starting with the brightest going to the lowest output, then fine. If you want 2 modes with medium output followed then by strobe, then fine.

It would require very little in terms of electronics to have a programmable UI.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'll retreat back to my original claim: the only reason SOS/strobe is an issue is due to cumbersome UIs. I have never seen anyone complain that their Novatac has SOS and not one but *two* strobe modes. Why? Because the UI is designed so that those modes are there if you want them, but are otherwise invisible to anyone else
I wholeheartedly agree. Put SOS and strobe on a separate command or something and the problem instantly goes away.

Spin

Enlightened
My preference would be to have a hi/low light & a separate small strobe only light. This would allow me to cover the majority of my every day needs & any future emergency need. Are there any pocketable strobe only lights available?

J!m

Newly Enlightened
I wholeheartedly agree. Put SOS and strobe on a separate command or something and the problem instantly goes away.

I posted this earlier in this thread, but all that needs to be done is to put these features at the end of the rotating ring (and by the way, I think these are at the opposite ends of the ring rotation o the new U2 models) with a lock-out feature (such as a sliding lock, push button lock or increased resistance) to prevent accidental activation.

But I revert back to the fact that if you are in an offensive position, you would choose a much simpler light with on-off only; or possibly a second output level (low-high). and nothing more. These sophisticated lights are more geared toward (in my opinion) the outdoors-man (or woman) who can't pack several lights (counting every ounce), and needs several outputs, and may run into the need for SOS or a strobe option to chase off animals for example.

If you are an "operative" you already have 50+ pounds of ammo (among other things), so what's another few ounces of a second or third light for specialized needs. Heck, most members here carry at least two lights every day anyway! And, they normally don't call S.O.S. either...

It is a bit like "all-season" tires: they really do everything acceptably and nothing exceptionally, whereas a dedicated mud terrain tire is really great at mud, but poor in other areas. So, if you need the best "thrower" that may be one light. The best "flood" from another. The best area lighting (lantern) from another. And signaling for help is probably better done with a locater such as this one: www.findmespot.com than any hand-held light would be.

Now I will add that a blinking light is great for finding someone in a crowd, say at the maul or something (deliberate misspelling of Mall by the way, as I think that spelling is more appropriate...:thumbsup:).

U2VOODOO

Newly Enlightened
Like everything we need, our uses vary. I doubt very much that surefire really cares what a few of us think, and have made decisions based on research and formed upon the needs of a group, and their ability to profit from it.

R&D is expensive, even though surefire has research covered in spades. There is no such thing as the "perfect" anything. That being said, I for one am glad that surefire will allow us to be included in the purchase of such a nice product regardless of cost. Not everyone always gets the opportunity to be a part of somthing as great as public access to such a wonderful item as the new flashlights surefire offers.

With new technology comes improved quality of life. If it involves an item that may some day save a life, then it's probably worth it.

One thing is for sure, we will all learn somthing new about flashlights! Life is short. Isn't that enough?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
shrug.gif

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious: Would a light with a high & low, or a high & medium & low, be notably more reliable than a light with those plus strobe and/or SOS? Either by having less circuits on the board or because the click switch is operated less [not going past those extra options]. I'm sure it would be at least fractionally more reliable, but would it notably more reliable [let's say > 4%]?

Qoose

Enlightened
Just curious: Would a light with a high & low, or a high & medium & low, be notably more reliable than a light with those plus strobe and/or SOS? Either by having less circuits on the board or because the click switch is operated less [not going past those extra options]. I'm sure it would be at least fractionally more reliable, but would it notably more reliable [let's say > 4%]?

I could see that in the case of other lights, where you have to click through the modes, and the strobe setting is just another click closer to inevitable death. But if it's out of the way like in the Ux2s, I don't think so. I don't think the circuits would mind either, unless you had to add some more hardware just to strobe.

Retinator

Enlightened
SOS/Strobe are like a 5th & 6th wheel to me. I can't see ever using them. The main problem ppl have with them is their implementation.

When something becomes a PITA, it take the fun out of the rest of the features that people actually use. It's like pacifying and ADHD kid while trying to enjoy a party.

I'd think a few sweeps of a frantic arm with a light would grab some attention in pitch black conditions. Many LED lights don't have a large bezel to project as well as incans/HID.

hmmm images of Blair Witch going thru my head now............
Think that means I'm tired :)

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I find it very amusing that SF released flashlights using those features. Until very recently the "tactical" crowd and Surefire fanatics where pointing out that real "tactical" lights do not use strobe or SOS.
Now SF has followed the lead of other flashlight manufacturers and added that feature.
I don't mind those features as long as they don't get on the way when operating the light. I have yet to try out the new SFs but I do like way it works on the Nitecore DI.