Starting to plan a custom light. Some advice/validation needed

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats not going to work since the cable switch supplies the power. if you disengage it it may work as a momentary switch but there will be no power for the LED.

Haha, that's right since the switch is at the battery!

tompijls

Newly Enlightened
But then the 3x XPG2 may ultimately give you more lumen if driven to maximum ( 1.5 amp driver at about 10-11volt out put. In fact if you run it off a 12v NiMh pack you could use a AMC7135 based driver.... or go one step simpler and just use a resistor.

Just to make sure I understood. MaxV of my battery is 14,4 V, Max V of each led is 4V. This leaves 2,4V / 1,5 Amp = Resistor of 1,6 Ohm? Correct? (And probably slightly higher not to destroy the circuit at the start?)

This would also mean the intensity get's gradually lower?

Last edited:

tompijls

Newly Enlightened
Given the remarks on the head-size, and Green-Force's great customer service which now results in me owning a Heptastar XPG (1980 lumen), I doubt the head would allow me to build something which is more powerful, so I'm going to slightly change the objective of my first project, which is building a light for my wife, where size (handheld) and weight is a more important requirement. Still with the HID50 (which is indeed a 10W HID), with internal diameter of 35mm.

The head will be powered with 2x 18650 batteries (in series)

Any recommendation regarding the Led to be used, so she can get approximately 70-80 minutes burntime?

Last edited:

jspeybro

Enlightened
with 2x 18650, you get about 1 and a half our burn-time using a kaidomain.com driver (S006130) which is unfortunately sold out, but any 2.5-3A driver will probably give similar results. such a driver in combination with an cree MC-E (wired in parallel), SSC P7 or cree XML will give you what you are looking for.

see my W200 mod for an example with your requirements.

jspeybro

Enlightened
I have that optic, the transparent part is round and has a diameter of 32mm, the black holder has 6 sides and when measuring between 2 opposing angles, you get about 35mm, so I'm guessing that 35.8mm is from the holder.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head will be powered with 2x 18650 batteries (in series)

Any recommendation regarding the Led to be used, so she can get approximately 70-80 minutes burntime?

2400ma*2 *3.7volt=17.76watt hours.
So on paper a 10watt LED/driver combo will give you 1.776 hours run time.

XM-L and a 3 amp driver will work perfectly. Or a triple XPG in series with a boost driver... or triple XPG in parallel with a buck driver.

dexter9

Newly Enlightened
I have that optic, the transparent part is round and has a diameter of 32mm, the black holder has 6 sides and when measuring between 2 opposing angles, you get about 35mm, so I'm guessing that 35.8mm is from the holder.

Hello jspeybro,
Is that lens really 6
° with an xml? how is the beam comparing with an aspheric?

jspeybro

Enlightened
Hello jspeybro,
Is that lens really 6
° with an xml? how is the beam comparing with an aspheric?

Sorry, don't know yet, I haven't tried the optic yet. I'll see if I can make a measurement/beamshot and comparison with asperic in the coming days, but I'm not sure I have an xml on a heatsink available somewhere at the moment (my thermal glue dried out and I'm waiting for new to come in).