Steely Dan

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So today at a weekly meeting between a contractor and a state government I cracked a few wise cracks to which the head manager for the state says "boy what's gotten into you today?" I said "Steely Dan". He says "man I love that band" as another manager breaks into "get a long kid charlemagne" as the contractor manager says "aja rules" and goes into an air drum solo. lol.
It was great.

The young secretary says "what's a Steely Dan?" to which we all busted out laughing and an older lady says "I'll explain later"....

I wonder if she explained who Steely Dan is or if it was "what" a steely Dan is. lol.

This thread reminds me that I have a Luxman stack sitting in a closet. They're in their original boxes.
My father ordered them for me when he was in Japan in the late 70s. I put them away about 15 years ago.
MAN! I really need to set um up to see (hear) if they're still working.

The amp is an M-4000 and the control center is a C-1000. I also have a T-110 FM Stereo Tuner.

Below are some internet captures.

Steely Dan, here I come.

GnoftvX.jpg

7ucVwe2.jpg

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speakers?

This thread reminds me that I have a Luxman stack sitting in a closet. They're in their original boxes.
My father ordered them for me when he was in Japan in the late 70s. I put them away about 15 years ago.
MAN! I really need to set um up to see (hear) if they're still working.

The amp is an M-4000 and the control center is a C-1000. I also have a T-110 FM Stereo Tuner.

Below are some internet captures.

Steely Dan, here I come.

GnoftvX.jpg

7ucVwe2.jpg

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're moving your house Pete? What across town somewhere? Or just moving it left a little bit for a better view of the sunset?
Just moving a few miles away, don't know where yet - got to sell before we buy.
A nice small house up a muddy track where we can blast out the Who at full volume, and not **** anyone off.
P

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
From 1972 to 1977 - an awesome album a year. No one has done that since. Then the wait - and the wait was of course worth it - 1980, Goucho - the last Steely Dan album. imho.

1972 Can't Buy a Thrill
1973 Countdown to Ecstasy
1974 Pretzel Logic
1975 Katy Lied
1976 The Royal Scam
1977 Aja
1980 Gaucho

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Are there any other Two Against Nature fans?

Just tried it, now I can say I tried it.

Actually if you like that jazz-lounge-funk sound, I think it sounds even better if you skip the vocals and put all the effort into the instruments; Medeski Martin & Wood's Juice would be right up your alley..

Last edited:

mightysparrow

Enlightened
So growing up near an FM radio most of my life, there always seemed to be a Steely Dan tune coming out or played to death. Reelin' In the Years, Do It Again and Peg...lots of other minor hits were also played over and over and over.

Well, being that was the case I kinda took them for granted over the decades and never really gave them much thought. In the late 80's I had superior sound equipment and owned their best of album, which got played a lot, but again I never really gave them a lot of thought.

Early this morning a monster thunderstorm woke me up. I had a tune stuck in my head from the Alan Parsons Project album I Robot. So I blurry eyed searched my vast CD selection and could not find I Robot. But I did find Show Biz Kids, a Steely Dan best of and popped it in my truck CD player after sunrise this morning and set out on a 2 hour commute. Perhaps lack of sleep had me feeling kinda buzzed like a high school kid riding with Cheech & Chong to a show....

But man I have total respect for that epic 70's band. Those guys quest for perfection really pays off in todays ultra-hifi sound systems. My truck can play concert level volume with virtually no road noise at 75mph. 6 full range speakers, 4 tweeters and a centrally located sub woofer really sounds wonderful with Steely Dan blasting from it.

So I arrive at work wondering who was that awesome bass player, who played drums on this or that, who were the backing vocalists. Those 2 guys had a who's who of sessionists marching in and out of the studio. Mark Knophler, Skunk Baxter, etc etc. I just kept thinking all day what a gas it must have been creating those works of art all through the 70's. They say Walter and Donald were monsters to deal with. Their pursuit for sonic perfection can certainly be head (and felt) these days.
Stunning. Just stunning.

All day at work I was humming and quietly singing "the Cuervo Gold...the fine Co-lum-b-yen"....

I played some jazz and hung out with jazz musicians when I was a youngster, so of course I appreciate Steely Dan. I think of Donald Fagen every time I drive into Annandale. I Robot is also a favorite rock album of mine. Great concept and execution.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Living four miles from the disgusting Coachella music festival, I can't even say the word mucus, muss, musiii, OK...MUSIC! I hate music because of what promoter, Paul Toilet, has done to ruin this beautiful valley, nothing but freaks and weirdos attend this event. I pod, radios, Bose CD players, all smashed here with a sledge hammer.

That may sound crazy, but if you live where their after party's start at 0230, and run until 0700, you end up hating all music!! It is a nightmare. NO ONE! I mean no one here likes the festival, and the trash it brings!!!

And the city it held in is Indio, not Coachella, both are S_ _ t holes!

The worst part is this festival is down on women, girls, and native Americans!! Yet promoter Paul Toilet does not do a thing to change that!

Last edited: