Still looking for perfect night time walking flashlight - Olight Warrior Mini is not

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for all the nice suggestions. You know the scotch tape does make a difference. Can you buy diffusers of the right diameter that will fit over the flashlight head?

prof student

Enlightened
Though most look down on them, sounds like a zoomie would fit just nicely!

My first recommendation would be the Fenix FD41.
High of 900 lumens that is timmed for 5 minutes (thermal regulation)
Medium of i think 400 lumens?
However, it does cost quite a bit.

I almost pulled the trigger on that one. But recently was exposed to the Convoy lineup. There is a the Z1 zoomie.
Pros - video reviews are quite impressive
medium of ~700 lumens
18650 or 26650 battery fits
Cons - 100% output only lasts around 2-3 minutes before thermal regulation steps in & brings it down
only takes rechargeable li-ion batteries. No primaries if you are in a pinch :(

Personally waiting to hear back from Simon (the owner of Convoy - his store "front" is on Aliexpress only) who will somewhat tailor your flashlight order if you email him, before i purchase it.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm not up on my flashlights the way I was 10-15 years ago but I'm curious. With lots of fine offerings by Fenix, Nitecore, Olight and others, what is the justification these days in spending $200 for a flashlight? What makes them significantly better than say a $50-70 offering from one of the companies I just mentioned?

This is probably the option I would choose given all of the choices already listed. Off 1x16650 or 2xCR123a with a High/Low tailcap.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is the justification these days in spending $200 for a flashlight? What makes them significantly better than say a $50-70 offering from one of the companies I just mentioned?

Justifications are based on preferences, and the basis for those preferences varies widely - very widely. I'll just leave that right there, but can assure you that you do not need to spend $200 to buy a light that will meet your needs. Certainly listen to and consider all the suggestions (especially those which are accompanied by reasonable, objective justifications), then use your own needs, preferences, and justifications to select a product - and there will be no need to spend $200 unless you really want to. I haven't given your request enough consideration to recommend anything specifically, but if / when I do, it will not cost $200. I have most of my needs met nicely, and I'm fairly particular, and I do not own a $200 flashlight. There's a lot of overpriced stuff at the high end, and there's a lot of pure 'junk' at the bottom end, and I'm not suggesting you go 'bottom fishing' at the bottom end - only that I suspect you can meet your requirements very well somewhere in the mid-range while ignoring the extremes and do nicely. I have.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm not up on my flashlights the way I was 10-15 years ago but I'm curious. With lots of fine offerings by Fenix, Nitecore, Olight and others, what is the justification these days in spending $200 for a flashlight? What makes them significantly better than say a $50-70 offering from one of the companies I just mentioned?

What makes the Elzetta significantly better than those you listed is, just my opinion, superior reliability and warranted for life. They take any abuse one might wish to dish out and rarely fail. They are truly heavy duty tools that will give years of service. If something does go wrong due to some defect, they'll fix it. Free. Forever.
Not suggesting that your needs/ uses rise to this level but these are some of the reasons one might be willing to shell out $200 for a flashlight.

DonnaD333

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbie, and I'm looking for the same. (I think.) Is this what you all call a mule?

I was looking at the Oveready E35 - DIP Mule Single (1000L).

I'd be so grateful for feedback!

Beckler

Enlightened
For walking I find keychain lights work well. Something like nitecore tip for example. Reflectors are so small that it's floody. Rechargeable, small, v. bright.

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
I personally prefer a head lamp either my Thrunite TH10 or TH20 I like going hands free It's easy enough to carry a spare 18650 or AA, I've used both for night walks and like having light where I'm looking.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If one wishes to spend more, the Surefire Guardian looks like a viable option. From beam shots, I like the look of the maxvision LED and the Guardian contains one of those plus a thrower, albeit a bit unorthodox looking. It seems like Surefire doesn't make a cylindrical flashlight with box maxvision LED and dual fuel capability?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might not even need to spend that much. Some really good lights for $15-50 out there tbh. A lot of the "brand" names are just expensive for the sake of it. And often have dreadful tints and lack simple things like moonlight modes. Have a look at Convoy, Astrolux, Noctigon, Sofirn and others for some examples.