Streamlight 3C-XP Xenon/LED

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. UPS just dropped off a Streamlight 3C-XP Xenon/LED.

Polymer, 2 switches - one for Xenon - one for the 3 LEDs - operated independently, partially faceted reflector (facets around bulb extend 1/2 way up reflector), permanent focus, runs on 3 C cells. No regulation circuitry. A rechargable version of this same light is available. Beam looks pretty good. Xenon is a slightly unusual shaped central spot with a good bright surround. LEDs form a definite triangle shaped beam (!) with a gentle surround.

Full review coming soon!

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forward to the full review... do you happen to know if this will be available in a rechargeable 20X (metal body) version? Thanks

-Mike

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
Mr. UPS just dropped off a Streamlight 3C-XP Xenon/LED.

Polymer, 2 switches - one for Xenon - one for the 3 LEDs - operated independently, partially faceted reflector (facets around bulb extend 1/2 way up reflector), permanent focus, runs on 3 C cells. No regulation circuitry. A rechargable version of this same light is available. Beam looks pretty good. Xenon is a slightly unusual shaped central spot with a good bright surround. LEDs form a definite triangle shaped beam (!) with a gentle surround.

Full review coming soon!

[/ QUOTE ]

Since both the 3C-XP and TT-3C are "C" cell driven what are your first impressions of it replacing the TT-3C? I am thinking of replacing my TT-3C with the 3C-XP because of the fact you must cycle through all the modes on the TT-3C just to turn it off. Plus I think your main bulb will be a bit more brighter than what is on the TT-3C.

I would be curious to know what vendor you got this light from? BrightGuy whom I usually deal with doesn't even have the light listed on his site yet.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
I would be curious to know what vendor you got this light from? BrightGuy whom I usually deal with doesn't even have the light listed on his site yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just like a good reporter, I never reveal my sources!

The spots are about the same size. The XP spot is dimmer but with the addition of a much brighter tight funny-shaped central spot. The TT-3C is the same brightness pretty much all the way across the spot.

Having 2 switches is VERY convenient. Plus you can run the LEDs and Incand at the same time. Keep the LEDs on and blink on the Incand when you need it without being left in the dark.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. You'd lose the 6 LED setting of the TT 3C.

I don't suppose the LED, and reflector of the TT and XP are about the same size ? Mod city maybe. Same current/battery input.

Hard choice. I think I'll get it.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam - I read your review. With the exception of the switch function of the 3C-XP being dedicated to each mode would you say that the beam quality would be a step up or down from the TT-3C? You make mention that the incadescent beam was dimmer than you though it would turn out to be... Is this dimmer than the TT-3C? The TT-3C is already border line to as low as I would want the incandescent light for general use around the house/car (IMHO)...

DBrier

Enlightened
If you look at the review and the output chart he created you find the TT-3C has a total incan. output of 3350 and the new 3C-XP has an output of 2700.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found out through the experience here, that a difference of 20-30% in brightness cannot be accurately perceived by the human eye.

Differences in beam quality can however be seen.

It's not a bad light. I wish the TT 3C had the nice switches with no other changes.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:
I have found out through the experience here, that a difference of 20-30% in brightness cannot be accurately perceived by the human eye.

Differences in beam quality can however be seen.

It's not a bad light. I wish the TT 3C had the nice switches with no other changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been pretty satisfied with my TT-3C, I mean the quality is hard to beat for the $30 paid. It has good enough beam output for general house / car light. I use mine a lot for going into the back of the garage. If the 3C-XP had a more brighter incandescent beam I would go for it but it doesn't sound like it does so I will just keep my TT-3C instead...

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Do the switches have a momentary function or are they click on and off only? John

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer is in the review: Yes, momentary, for incand, no for LED.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just like a good reporter, I never reveal my sources!

The spots are about the same size. The XP spot is dimmer but with the addition of a much brighter tight funny-shaped central spot. The TT-3C is the same brightness pretty much all the way across the spot.

Having 2 switches is VERY convenient. Plus you can run the LEDs and Incand at the same time. Keep the LEDs on and blink on the Incand when you need it without being left in the dark.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see BrightGuy now advertises both the Alkaline & Rechargeable version. It appears in their write up anyway that the incandescent is a bit brighter in the Rechargeable Mdl.

http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.html?cart=10680479924635347&sku=STR24000

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read the review carefully... The bulb and reflector are one piece and must be replaced together similar to the way a Surefire P lamp assembly must be replaced.

Aux

Newly Enlightened
Any opinions on how the 3C-XP would function as a secondary duty light, when carried in conjunction with something bright like a Stinger?

The "low-beam" function seems as though it would be good for paper work, etc. While the "high-beam" is not as bright as a Singer, could it function adequately as an emergency backup?