Streamlight Propoly 4AA vs Inova X5

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give him the Strion (he can leave it in the car charging, so he'll never get caught without a light source) and a Propolymer Luxeon 3C, since it takes common alkalines, it won't be a burden on him. This is the perfect combo -- a good incan plus a regulated Luxeon LED light -- for a non-flashaholic worker.

Last edited:

dim

Enlightened
A pale blue hue from Nichia LEDs is just the nature of the beast. Unless one is White Walling, in use, it's not that bad. Many, such as myself, perceive a cooler toned light, such as from a Nichia LED, to highlight edges, corners and the contrast between objects. An area flooded with light from, say, a SL PP 7 LED can appear surrealistically crisp. One CPFer (I don't recall whom) claimed that it was easier to read with a cooler light despite his marginal vision.

Colors, however, can appear muted and, at times, even bordering on monochrome. The loss of color, because of greens, browns, yellows, etc. is, generally, more perceived outdoors. The high contrast effect from a cooler light works well indoors.

dim

jimmybrown2

Newly Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Give him the Strion (he can leave it in the car charging, so he'll never get caught without a light source) and a Propolymer Luxeon 3C, since it takes common alkalines, it won't be a burden on him. This is the perfect combo -- a good incan plus a regulated Luxeon LED light -- for a non-flashaholic worker.

I've been spending some time in Flashlight Reviews. I'm inclined to agree with you here. I have a tendancy to make things more complicated than I should or basically, ask for too much. I like the review on the Luxeon 3C, it's got the output and the durability, but if it had a wide beam instead of a medium, it would be just what I'm looking for. In studing all the charts, I don't see a flashlight that fits that bill. But, overall, I think your thought here, and others who mentioned the Luxeon, is probably the best.

Apollo

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought another Inova X5 from Target and it has the same octagonal body as my older one except that the anodized finish looks slightly darker to me and the output does appear to be a little brighter. I take it that these have the newer Nichia CS LEDs?

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
jimmybrown2 said:
I've been spending some time in Flashlight Reviews. I'm inclined to agree with you here. I have a tendancy to make things more complicated than I should or basically, ask for too much. I like the review on the Luxeon 3C, it's got the output and the durability, but if it had a wide beam instead of a medium, it would be just what I'm looking for. In studing all the charts, I don't see a flashlight that fits that bill. But, overall, I think your thought here, and others who mentioned the Luxeon, is probably the best.
A lot of 5 watt lights have wide beams. Most of them use 123A's but there are a few (big lights) that use alkalines