{{ Stuff that just works }}

fredx

Newly Enlightened
Not impressed with kroil myself-do you believe the "millionth of an inch" line?
PB blaster is way better in my opinion

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Any reason someone couldn't use SeaFoam to clean gun barrels & other metal parts.
If you think about what it's cleaning in engines & fuel systems, I just can't think of a reason it wouldn't work well.

Have a half gallon in my garage & it's yelling at me to do something with it.

1711290873201.jpeg

SeaFoam: 40-60% Pale Oil (CAS 64742-54-7), 25-35% Naphtha (petroleum fraction), and 10-20% Isopropyl Alcohol

Last edited:
+

Any reason someone couldn't use SeaFoam to clean gun barrels & other metal parts.
If you think about what it's cleaning in engines & fuel systems, I just can't think of a reason it wouldn't work well.

View attachment 59594
I have never heard of the product, though it sounds handy and versatile. Does it remove discoloration caused by heat? If so, it might remove bluing from a gun.

Nearly instant spring-loaded pliers. Remove spring from back of an old bath fan cover, cut off the end hooks and insert ends between steel handles and cushion grips. Been using it at work for 15+ years.
20240324_123123.jpg
20240324_123438.jpg

For hard grips, use a spent pistol recoil spring and a length of surgical tubing. Lube the spring and tube interior with Ballistol and struggle for 20 minutes while questioning your life choices and squeezing the spring into the tubing. Add more lube to the tube and to the handles and slide the tubing on.
20240324_141702.jpg
20240324_135938.jpg

Uglier than a baboon's buttocks, yet functional for years until the tubing wears out.
20240324_142246.jpg
20240324_142229.jpg

Custom on-board high-power rare earth magnetic screw bit holder for drill/driver. Also holds drill bits and small screws during repairs.
20240324_133644.jpg
20240324_133523.jpg
20240324_133658.jpg
20240324_133810.jpg

I've been using this at work since I concocted it probably 17 years ago. Use a large ring magnet (really a cylinder with a screw hole thru the axis) from K&J Magnetics. Large washer on bottom acts as shelf for bits but also guides the magnetic field thru the bits and into the top washer utilizing both poles for much more strength. Head of machine screw holding entire assembly together is just inside back of the drill. This requires disassembling drill and Dremelling a hole for the screw to exit. This voids the warranty (See what I did there? ;)), but I go thru drills so fast they'd declare it abuse anyway. This gadget is so tough I think I've only rebuilt it once or twice not counting reinstalling it on new drills.

20240324_171423.jpg

And finally.... Rain puddle. Good for cleaning boots.

fredx

Newly Enlightened
+

View attachment 59594

SeaFoam: 40-60% Pale Oil (CAS 64742-54-7), 25-35% Naphtha (petroleum fraction), and 10-20% Isopropyl Alcohol
Put some in the tank where it was designed for
If you do happen to try it on weapons - let us know how it turns out after a year or so

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put some in the tank where it was designed for
If you do happen to try it on weapons - let us know how it turns out after a year or so
+

There are no corrosive detergents in Seafoam.

Alcohol does not corrode metal & the rest are oil distillates.
The combination, almost like an emulation, works to break up unwanted gunk in fuel systems & combustion environment.

I'll put money down that expensive gun 'cleaners & lube' are effectively the same as Seafoam for $15~$20 for 6oz.

There was an oldtimer mechanic close to me, he was a Vietnam mechanic, worked on every type of motor.
...was talking with him when he was retiring and told me a huge secret,,

ATF added to gas of small engines cleans them & the carb. (ATF is basically thin synthetic oil)

fredx

Newly Enlightened
There was an oldtimer mechanic close to me, he was a Vietnam mechanic, worked on every type of motor.

ATF added to gas of small engines cleans them & the carb. (ATF is basically thin synthetic oil)
Have you tried the ATF in small gas engines? ( I/E lawn mowers ) If so how much ATF to Gas ratio?
Does that go for 2 cycle engines also?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I have, including 2-stroke.
Didn't measure, so around a couple tablespoons per quart gas.

It may sound like too much 'oil' for 2-stroke, yep it smokes alot...
then runs smoother,, adjusted carb after that.

+

There are no corrosive detergents in Seafoam.

Alcohol does not corrode metal & the rest are oil distillates.
The combination, almost like an emulation, works to break up unwanted gunk in fuel systems & combustion environment.

I'll put money down that expensive gun 'cleaners & lube' are effectively the same as Seafoam for $15~$20 for 6oz.

I drive a stick. ;) To me AFT is a belligerent government agency! :mad:

Edit: changed an emoji for accuracy.

Last edited: