{{ Stuff that just works }}

ven

Flashaholic
Was not a facom vice but a decent one in school, having a competition to see who could tighten it the most....

I snapped it off at the jaw, on the curve part......fell onto the floor and nearly broke my foot. Teacher was that shocked that I broke it, I never got into any trouble or had to pay for the vice!

Poppy

Flashaholic
ven... is a manly man! :)

So if we see a tatoo on your biceps, of a zombie with a jaw that looks like a broken vice, we'll know what that refers to?

Teacher is saying.... hmmm, don't mess with THAT kid!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Popeye theme playing in background. Garsh.
Huh-guh-guh-guh-guh....guh-guh,

Mirrors.
They work great for farding (that's a word for putting on makeup), for signaling in morse code, for use as a campfire starter in daytime (on sunny days), lighting up shadows (again on a sunny day), see-ing what is behind you while driving, multiplying the output of candles, and a bunch of other cool stuff.

A big thank you goes out to who ever invented the simple mirror.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
ven... is a manly man! :)

So if we see a tatoo on your biceps, of a zombie with a jaw that looks like a broken vice, we'll know what that refers to?

Teacher is saying.... hmmm, don't mess with THAT kid!

:laughing: i do have tats on my arms :p well not at that time in school!

Poppy

Flashaholic
Orbital,
Thanks for posting the pictures. They reminded me that I should fix my vise.

Last summer, while beating the snot out of something, one of the bolts that held the face plate onto the vise snapped clean off. It was still held, somewhat in place by the other bolt, but it often slid down, and I had to hold the face-plate in place while I tightened the vise onto what ever I was working on. A little of a PIA, but not as bad as having to drill out the snapped bolt. :URGHH:

Finally, you got me motivated to pull it apart and drill that bolt out.
I searched for and found my left handed drill bits, and was very lucky that the bolt backed out, without having to resort to using my EZ-out set.

I had a friend pick up some 12-24 bolts on his way over, but of course, I measured them wrong, and I had to make a trip back to the Home Depot for some 10-24s :rolleyes:

At any rate, I am happy to say, I finished the repair on the vise this morning.

BTW... my Littlestown No 25, is about the size of your scout, it was never painted, and I suspect that if it was painted, it would look worse than yours. LOL.. it has a lot of beat-on marks :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Borad

Enlightened
Public toilets and shop vacs. I often need that extra power and lately I've been using the shop vac to unclog the regular vac's hose.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Public toilets and shop vacs. I often need that extra power and lately I've been using the shop vac to unclog the regular vac's hose.
We have one of those Dyson upright bagless vacuum cleaners. I don't know if it works better than any others we had, but it is designed well, so that where ever there is a bend for the air to flow, the bend will snap out so that it is easily cleared of any clog that might occur. The hose is a straight run, without any bent pipes at either end, so that it would be easy to clear, if it got clogged, but I don't think that it ever did, because stuff would get caught somewhere else first.

CLBME

Enlightened
Grease is the life-blood of my business. I've used manual guns for a very long time, sprinkled with a few battery powered ones, air-powered, etc. I always come back to the manual gun as it gets into every tight spot- no batteries to fail, etc. However, the one draw back is that it's usually a two-handed operation and when the head doesn't stay on the fitting/zerk it can be a real PITA, making a mess, popping off, etc. I've been known to scorch the paint off the frame of the wheeler when I am under it trying to grease the u-joints and suspension. :D

Then I tried this after seeing if for many years in the back of my trade publications. It's called the LockNLube. I tried one, then immediately turned around and bought one for each of my guns. It just works! Worth every one of the 2,995 pennies.:thumbsup:

grease-coupler-clip-on-still.png

prego

Newly Enlightened
Green Bell / Seki Edge brand nail clippers from Japan.

They are the sharpest nail clippers I have ever used. Made in a small Japanese city known for making samurai swords 700 years ago.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I should not say this..........."famous last words" and when it does break i will post back here :laughing:

My Subaru!!

yes touch wood.................heck i am clinging to wood whilst typing one handed...............

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ good luck.

The pencil. Mechanical or traditional.
Who ever figured out how to press graphite into a solid object with varying hardnesses to allow varying darkness with the same pressure applied ... in the center of a wooden circle... 2 thumbs up.

Then the mechanical pencil...
And the eraser...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Suburus over here tend to hold up well, but when things go wrong are apparently a beast to work on.

I was at a shop with my company truck when this guy comes in with a Suburu. The tech guy says "oh no I hope he don't need another headlight bulb".
An hour later my oil change, new tires, alignment etc were done while they were still working on replacing that guys head light bulb. I get the impression the engine bay is more crowded than Tokyo subway train.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Head light bulbs are not too bad, nothing like the french cars where you need to strip down the whole car :laughing:

"hey there mr reno, we forgot the head lights" "no worries, just stick em in last after its all built up,only need to remove the wing and bumper to get to the bulb"

Yep, could throw a bowl of rice in the bay, no rice would hit the floor!

sltoussaint

Newly Enlightened
Quark PRO QP2L-X, after four years of experimenting, I found a true love. For my needs, it just works.

iMac, after 16 years of always needing to fix my PC, I purchased an Apple. I love my iMac.

1994 Chevrolet Astro, 311,000 stop n go delivery miles. Every time I turn the key, it just works.

John Deer SRX95 riding mower. I've used it to mow an acre of lawn for 12 years. It's been the most trouble-free tool I've ever owned.

~ Chance
I had a 94 chevy Astro also. Had 325,000 on it when I gave it to my son. He pulled his race care with and at 359,000 sold it for $50.00. The interior was shot, but never burned or leaked oil. That 4.3 Vortec was quite an engine.

I also have an IMAC. I love it as well.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I liked the 4.3 in an S10. Equipped with an automatic is was 0-60 lickety split but cruised at highway speed limits at a nice, quiet low rpm.
MPG left a bit to be desired, but it had plenty of "tug" with better MPG than those bigger motors.

The Bubba 16 oz ceramic lined coffee cup.
Completely spill proof when the cap is closed. And speaking of closed cap... when you close it and forget it for say a half hour or so the hot beverage is still surprisingly hot. The instinct to take a chug of luke warm coffee is replaced with "hoh-Nelly that was hot!".
About $10 at Wally World and other box stores.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
In post #67 I said "A sawzall is a tool that I rarely need, but when it is needed, it is a life-saver! "

This week was one of those weeks.

A friend of mine, and his wife who is a pastor of a local church, with whom I am also friends, had a sudden flood hit their church, and put 18-24 inches of water in the finished basement of the church. There were many rooms, and closets, three sets of stair wells, with hidden walls, and a hall way, perhaps 100 feet long, all sheet-rocked.

I saw the headlines in a local paper, but miss-read it to be in a nearby town. I thought... ah... that stinks, maybe I should help out... nah. Five days later I found out it was my friends' place! The next morning I was the second person there.

I missed the first week of debris removal, (three 40 yard dumpsters full.)

The plan at that point was to remove all sheet rock to the height of 2 feet. That made sense. You'd need half as much sheet rock, and it would take one cut to get two 2 foot lengths. So I got to work, I cleared one wall, and 2 closets and the instructions changed to 4 feet. It was decided to remove all of the sheet rock to a height of 4 feet and 1/2 inch, so that new boards of rock can be laid down on their side and be easily installed, with fewer cuts. Here in the states, boards of sheet rock are typically 4' x 8'.

I didn't need to be there the first couple of days when they were just dunky-ing all the debris, and cleaning some of the mud out. But my only regret is that I wasn't there when they first started pulling the sheet-rock out.

They measured a height, 24 inches, made a mark, then moved IDK 3 feet, and made another measurement, then with a level drew a line... onward for 100 feet four times! Plus all of the partition walls. They then scored the line with utility knifes, and chipped away at the rock with a hammer. They then had to do it a second time, to raise the level to 4 feet!

Unfortunately, I was stuck in closets, and under stairs with hidden walls, and 1/4 inch deep dried mud under my knees. My partner for the day was a really wonderful guy, our past mayor, and currently a State Assemblyman. We were stuck doing the job that others couldn't, or wouldn't. My sawzall was put to good use, but I was in tight quarters and made slow but steady progress.

When I stepped out to where they were working in the hallway to go from 2' to 4' I said... "What are you doing? WHY don't you use the sawzall?" I was told.... "you cut the line with the utility knife and then bang it out with the hammer." LOL... I took a breath, and walked away. It took six or eight people all day ( well a volunteer day is really only 3-5 hours :rolleyes: ) what me and my sawzall could have done in 2 hours with two helpers, (if we stopped for lunch). :)

Here are the tools I used.
p6x53CakvxaoWcvSXJVy6xGGxm4eFd_M1gxw64dlLVT4rj9FzWduvcbCcnG1gVda2QnUSMnx-lSo952aOSzGpAVNK_IU0qL-MC8s3dxh-HqjbhpBsqFYKcz6R3lpF3pe5johIHNQUrTFexTumU7L6RYUVWYiaDr4tz6FYHkcSxNXbXziiKS4Wwi586fRLL0rc3NZWEhwERuxjBvZmtAWl-ciD6dKAHPR9kMwiR2nZt9VSESmf_CYAjr0YO_CzQb6TPUCav4MwsowPclwuFuX8VqI_AvViuTndjCt2iby-k4lvVXTk0j3ZwCUodFZdThS04gANhV3ST9uRKptM-H7sCG-H3Ef1Y8Bd4RgTc2wR2af_ECIrxnzVwX42fpme3rYHRsQEsr3iuJLlt-InsH-DbWKanf3815eCh55iTDMb1jv_26xVQmqp6n87UBzKYp1CGfGrJrN9cnigM-rsdqqs8UKpbkcB_-jPtKwZBfmslIXdxCBfvNedHOYZlSnq2pXy6MdN9J5U8EjN6e2VknFLE4yNqFSaaw0IPl06g3o7VYPARL2CRTSm9D3WESSwdbHixFqTQLl0lckDA5F8eCFysdggYTO4u0=w1034-h775-no

Black & Decker Professional Reciprocating Saw with an 11 inch "pruning" blade.
Pencil, chalk line, Ruler (I forgot to throw into the pic) craftsman utility knife, rip hammer, and "wonder bar" of sorts.
I also had two hand sheet rock saws. They were used in the closets where I didn't have room to work with the sawzall.

I snapped lines at 48 1/2 inches. With that long pruning blade, I was able to make shallow cuts, so as NOT to disturb any hidden wires, and to be able to cut the rock as it crossed the studs.
Next, I used my utility knife to score a vertical line about in the center of where I think the studs are.
Then I punched a hole into the rock, somewhere near the bottom, but near where I scored the vertical line.
Then I jabbed the wonder bar in the hole and ripped the rock out towards me.
Sometimes small pieces would break off, but then I would get larger pieces.
I decided to not only score between the studs, but ON the studs.
The rock came off in 3-4 foot lengths by 4 feet high.
I needed two helpers... one to cart the rock away, and one to pull the nails that didn't come out with the rock.

The other side of the wall was even easier!
Cut it, score it, and then kick it from the already cleared side.

The last wall I did that day was behind a free standing wooden closet that was finally emptied and removed. I had a gentleman hold one end of my chalk line so I could snap it. I needed to clear the wall, the closet behind it, and the stairwell. It took minutes. His comment was "WOW!" By then I was DONE for the day, and my social etiquette, PC levels were down a bit, and my response was along the lines of... "Yeah... and there were three guys working on the other stairwell, ALL DAY LONG." :rolleyes: His response was... "Yeah, I was one of them."

In order to clear the closet, and part of the stairwell, I had a girl help me snap the lines. I smiled, to myself, when I heard her, excitedly tell her mom, how she did what she did, and then have her mom come over to see. They both learned something that day. It was great!

On the second day, a young man came up to me and asked... "Are you the guy who is in charge of the sawzall?"
"Well yeah.. it's mine, what do you need?"
LOL... he became my helper :)
I finished clearing his closet. He pulled my nails, and carted my debris to the dumpster. :) I'm liking this better all the time, but am running out of steam :(
Earlier in the day, I had an engineer working with me as my partner, another great guy, who was kind enough to remove my debris for me. Actually it was more productive of his time, to allow me to cut the rock with the sawzall, score it with my knife, and yank it out, and then for him to cart it away.

LOL.. that sawzall saved me a lot of work!

:) :) :)

A day or two later, I returned with one of my grandsons. I gave him a "el destruct o" ball peen hammer. And put a great big smile on his face! :) There was a wooden shelving unit that was too heavy to remove, and too bulky to put into the dumpster. With a circular saw, and hammer, we broke it :) HE was the man!

I showed him how we used the sawzall to cut the rock for the remaining wall, and how to change the blade to a metal cutting blade so that we could cut the nails that was holding a recessed "community board" in place.

I love teaching him things like this! :)

He was so excited to tell his mom about what he did, that it almost made me cry.

So, back to the topic of the thread, there are times that a sawzall is THE tool that no other can do.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
One thing that works pretty good on sheetrock in hard to get places is one of those vibrating saw blades. I haven't tried it but I bet you could also use a circular saw with the blade retracted so that it barely cuts into the studs and in a pinch you could actually nail a board on the studs of the wall to help guide the saw perfectly straight.