• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Suggestions for HDS Part Deux...

wweiss

Enlightened
I hold mine like this - tactical ring stationary and head turned with thumb and forefinger...

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1601666690.262858.jpg

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1601666739.877271.jpg

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is exactly how I use the rotary function. The question is - how do you press the button using just one hand?

wweiss

Enlightened
That's easy I switch to the tactical ring with the first two fingers let it swing down as a pendulum and press it with my thumb up again in the grip position takes about half a second.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more thought, maybe already said, but it is better to repeat, as a variant of the head lamp, it can be L-shaped. Only have to change the part of the body where the driver sits, and leave the bezel, reflector and battery tube as they are. Swivel with a spring-loaded clutch, like the clutch in a rock drill.

However, if someone wants to put an 18650 or 2AA body, then he will look like a narwhal)) And 200% of the person who does this, and he does it, will complain on the Internet in all places that he clings to bushes and beats against walls)) Therefore, such a design is bad.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it.
You could actually use the existing body and head with an adaptor that screws onto the body and into the head. The only problem would be the continuity of the signal wire.
P

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My thoughts on a head lamp where very similar though there would be no reflector nor bezel. It would be a mule with the emitter on the side of the head and would take the existing battery tubes. Would be pure flood (for caving, not like I'm going into a pre-made natural grave), and for more up close work. Would be the quickest to get to market and since it would allow the use of current battery tubes, I don't think there would be too much complaining. I've even already designed a holster around it where you could use the light from the holster illuminating the path in front of you without having it on your head (attracting bugs)

Henry's plan... a hell of a lot more complicated with 2 emitters, one for throw and one for flood... and is very impressive, but will take a lot longer to get to market, if it ever does, and will end up eye watering expensive... but worth it for those who use such a thing.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for the magnetic rings on other lights (I won't call these lights "Rotaries" as they are not and not referred to as such in the manuals on them) they work completely different than the HDS Rotary. These use magnets which is why the full rotation is generally only 1/4 of the dial. The reliability of these is... well, don't throw them hard against something or drop them from a great height onto concrete or rocks. They are fine design for around the house but not for "hard use".

There are no plans to change where the dial is on the HDS. HDS Rotaries are not for everyone, so it is good there are a lot of other options out there.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG NO! LOL!

Is could be limited to the bezel in a way that keeps the rest of the light sealed. So just an optional accessory like the diffuse bezel.

I think that a flashlight that has both an infinitely variable mechanical UI --and-- an infinitely variable beam shape is the future

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is could be limited to the bezel in a way that keeps the rest of the light sealed. So just an optional accessory like the diffuse bezel.

I think that a flashlight that has both an infinitely variable mechanical UI --and-- an infinitely variable beam shape is the future

Probably not for HDS... you need to remember the roots of the light being for caving... it is one of the reasons we have never been real interested in throwers. Plenty of others out there making them and some very good ones as well (Malkoff). Same with zoomies but I don't really know of a decent quality zommie out there.... but my idea of quality is quite a bit different from what some others consider it.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not for HDS... you need to remember the roots of the light being for caving... it is one of the reasons we have never been real interested in throwers. Plenty of others out there making them and some very good ones as well (Malkoff). Same with zoomies but I don't really know of a decent quality zommie out there.... but my idea of quality is quite a bit different from what some others consider it.

By the way, in my terms my 140lm HDS is the thrower because it has the tightest beam of all my lights that I actually use. So I am really looking forward to the double beam HDS headlamp

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
In fact, I would be happy even if Henry re-launched the Actionlight, but with 5 mm diodes with a high CRI from Yuji. 2 emitters - classic, and if you add mule diodes around or under them?

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just occurred to me that a rotary headlamp which is fixed on one's head is much more naturally operated with single hand than a regular flashlight