Summer jacket?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Do you guys wear a lightweight jacket during the Summer?
If so, what do you use?

I tried using an inexpensive windbreaker.
Very light. But made from synthetic, non-breathable material.
Better for colder Spring days, despite being extremely thin fabric.
Ordered a jacket online that is a blend of materials.
Also rather thin, not bad-looking. More breathable.

Don't normally wear a jacket during Summer. But no breakroom at work.
Just easier wearing my uniform underneath a jacket.
A thin, lightweight windbreaker works; but not during Summer.
Summers in NYC can be surprisingly brutal.
Windbreaker is a great way to experience being locked in a body-hugging sauna if outside longer than 5 minutes.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Nope. Summers over here practically beg you to go to work in the most breathable clothes possible. I scrape by with polo shirts and jeans, and even then only inside the workplace – I change to shorts to leave when I punch out.

I look at some religious nutters wearing three piece suits and I just about faint from proxy heatstroke. If you wear a jacket, no matter how light, people will ask you if you feel feverish.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm not a fan of synthetic fabric windbreakers either. In the past I went to Sears where I found some really good fabric blend spring jackets that were breathable, somewhat water repellent and looked good. While I saw something similar at a JCP recently, they wanted an obscene amount of money for it. I miss Sears.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm not sure I understand the question.. why would you wear a jacket if it's too hot to wear one...?
In my situation, it's work related. Uniform includes black shoes, black pants. Uniform shirt though has the company logo all over it. Doesn't blend in when out in public. Company forbids wearing the full uniform unless on the job. And, I've learned from experience that it's best not to advertise where you work to a bunch of folks out on the street. Doubly so if you bump into a gossiping neighbor when coming home or heading out to work.

Found an online article about the best Summer jackets to wear. It was ludicrous which options the author suggested! Out of like 9 options, one seemed to be decent. The rest would be appropriate for milder Winter days. Figured I'd see if anyone on CPF had any ideas.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm not a fan of synthetic fabric windbreakers either. In the past I went to Sears where I found some really good fabric blend spring jackets that were breathable, somewhat water repellent and looked good. While I saw something similar at a JCP recently, they wanted an obscene amount of money for it. I miss Sears.
Me too.
Ironically the jacket I ordered for possible summer wear was off of JCP's website. It was on sale for about $30, and I was able to use my rewards points from one of my credit cards to get it for free. Figured why not.

fulee9999

Enlightened
In my situation, it's work related. Uniform includes black shoes, black pants. Uniform shirt though has the company logo all over it. Doesn't blend in when out in public. Company forbids wearing the full uniform unless on the job. And, I've learned from experience that it's best not to advertise where you work to a bunch of folks out on the street. Doubly so if you bump into a gossiping neighbor when coming home or heading out to work.

Found an online article about the best Summer jackets to wear. It was ludicrous which options the author suggested! Out of like 9 options, one seemed to be decent. The rest would be appropriate for milder Winter days. Figured I'd see if anyone on CPF had any ideas.

I'm certainly missing a piece of the puzzle here... So when you're on the clock you have to wear a work uniform. That's pretty standard. When you're off the clock, you are forbidden to wear one... Interesting, but still nothing to write home about. So why don't you go to work in something comfy, change clothes on the premises, then change back to street clothes when leaving...?

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Traditionally men would wear a lightweight cotton or linen suit or blazer/chino combo in the summer time. Usually light brown, off-white or other light colors. Going tie-less was not uncommon, even the jacket would often be dropped in warmer regions. Summer attire is generally more casual. In any case I advice staying away from synthetics and dark colors.

I dont usually wear a jacket or ties during summer. I do have a couple cotton blazers I sometimes wear should I go out in the evening or night hours of the day when its a bit cooler.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
D!ckie use to make a light weight "Eisenhower"jacket. Not good if you carry IWB. But works excellent for shoulder rigs.
My fav was Birdwell Beach Britches parka. It was made out Spinnaker sail cloth. Tough as nails. Design was like a baseball warm-up parka. Tho, no zipper or elastic, it had heavy duty snaps up the front and on cuffs.. On-Shore breezes can get chilling on the coast even during Summer time

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya , a jacket in the summer here in upstate NY is like wearing a wifebeater in the dead of winter😁

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm certainly missing a piece of the puzzle here... So when you're on the clock you have to wear a work uniform. That's pretty standard. When you're off the clock, you are forbidden to wear one... Interesting, but still nothing to write home about. So why don't you go to work in something comfy, change clothes on the premises, then change back to street clothes when leaving...?
Again, as mentioned in my first post, there's no changing room. And, the only other option is the dirty and disgusting restrooms. Trust me, you don't want to go in there unless absolutely necessary.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I wear a vest pretty much year round.
Winter vests under my jacket(s) are warm of course but instead of wearing a back pack in summer to carry my stuff I wear a vest for the pockets. Fly fishing vest, newspaper reporter type or dove hunter type depending. But I'm not wearing a uniform with logos on the sleeves.
Perhaps a class 3 safety vest (one with short sleeves) would cover the logos, while being breathable.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
When the low at night because of rain is only 78 degrees a jacket is too many layers here.... maybe come late September perhaps.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I wear a vest pretty much year round.
Winter vests under my jacket(s) are warm of course but instead of wearing a back pack in summer to carry my stuff I wear a vest for the pockets. Fly fishing vest, newspaper reporter type or dove hunter type depending. But I'm not wearing a uniform with logos on the sleeves.
Perhaps a class 3 safety vest (one with short sleeves) would cover the logos, while being breathable.
Love me a good vest! I've got more vests than coats and jackets combined in my closet. Your suggestion is a great one. Unfortunately, as you mentioned vests are not useful for covering up logos on sleeves. And that's definitely something I need to cover up.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer vests myself. I also favor overshirts rather than jackets. Can be lightweight or heavy, buttoned or open. The only time I put on a jacket is in colder weather when I need the wind breaking factor.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Why not carry a change of shirt in your get home bag? Since it is only a change of shirt, you should easily be able to find a closet, or office (no more superman phone booths) to make a speedy change.

New Get Home Bag.
Vertx Gamut 2.0 with Premier body armor (highest rating version).
Not cheap! But definitely worth it. Certainly easier than the alternative.
Liberal amounts of baby powder + assistance in putting on a vest.
There's another brand that makes a thinner panel at the same rating.
Though oddly, the panel for the very same pack is smaller overall.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hey guys, just wanted to post an Update, now that Summer is nearly over. First of all, thank you to everyone who commented good ideas and options for a realistic Summer jacket. Really appreciate it. Originally went with a 100% White linen jacket from a seller of Etsy called the "Linenist." Yeah, no free advertising here. He turned out to be an absolute scumbag scammer. Screwed over quite a few buyers. Thankfully he's no longer on Etsy. For awhile, as a Buyer Etsy was like a 2nd online home to me. I've watched it slowly devolve in a couple of years to a scammer's paradise.

So easy to set up shop on that site. Rip people off, and despite Etsy's claims; the site does literally nothing to help buyers get their money back. Thankfully I paid for the jacket with PayPal. And P.P. got my money back.

Then I found a professional seamstress who makes 100% linen blazers custom fitted, for a good price. Wide assortment of colors. Bought one of those in White. Very happy with the outcome.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I had a white linen blazer once.
It turned a nice golden rod over the years. It went from a Don Johnson look to a Rodney Dangerfield look, but then again so had my physique.
Sadly, have to agree with you.... on both counts.
I'm just going to enjoy the blazer for as long as I can.
Though with my love of fountain pens, it'll likely become a different color, other than yellow.