---Ugly Summer---

Poppy

Flashaholic
Literally the only thing I like about Summer.... No sudden snowstorms.
That's it. Was off from work yesterday with zero errands to run in the neighborhood, zero appointments needed taking care off. Just free time all the way.... Literally couldn't even enjoy a walk through my neighborhood because it was too frickin' hot. Summers in NYC are brutal! You wouldn't think so, but they are.
Yeah, living and or working in NYC during the summer must really stink! Literally!
The concrete jungle, absorbs heat throughout the day, and continues to radiate it at night. But worse of all is the SMELL of Urine! I don't know if it is from humans peeing against a wall, because there are so few public restrooms, or if it is from people walking their dogs. I suppose it is from both.

Two years ago we spent most of six weeks in Philadelphia during a heat wave. The stench of urine was profound. It made me welcome a drenching rainstorm, it washes away the smell. If there was only a shower, it made it worse.

It made me think about how terrible it must have been in colonial days before they had underground sewers, and people depended upon rain to flush the open sewers. That and horses defecating in the streets. Who would want to live in the city?

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Literally the only thing I like about Summer.... No sudden snowstorms.
That's it. Was off from work yesterday with zero errands to run in the neighborhood, zero appointments needed taking care off. Just free time all the way.... Literally couldn't even enjoy a walk through my neighborhood because it was too frickin' hot. Summers in NYC are brutal! You wouldn't think so, but they are.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, living and or working in NYC during the summer must really stink! Literally!
The concrete jungle, absorbs heat throughout the day, and continues to radiate it at night. But worse of all is the SMELL of Urine! I don't know if it is from humans peeing against a wall, because there are so few public restrooms, or if it is from people walking their dogs. I suppose it is from both.

Two years ago we spent most of six weeks in Philadelphia during a heat wave. The stench of urine was profound. It made me welcome a drenching rainstorm, it washes away the smell. If there was only a shower, it made it worse.

It made me think about how terrible it must have been in colonial days before they had underground sewers, and people depended upon rain to flush the open sewers. That and horses defecating in the streets. Who would want to live in the city?
The Parisians have the same kind of problems, or rather, had/have. They still have the problem of people urinating and defecating outside, but they have abated the problem a bit. They have installed public, self-cleaning toilets on the sidewalks, but a lot of time they are out of order. They also wash the sidewalks down every morning. I'm sure it helps with trade and tourism to clean up the city that way. New York could probably learn a thing or two from Paris, but I don't know if it would do New York any good, considering the idiots that run the city.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Oh now you're playing music from my High School days!

There was a high school band that my friends and I were groupies for. They were a seven piece band, with a three piece brass section. Just awesome. They played a lot of Chicago.

The keyboard player had a heavy leslie organ, and leslie horn that spun around in a cabinet.
It's called a rotary speaker. We'd help get it into the building, and usually up a flight of stairs.

1689381082366.png

So we'd get into the dances for free.

Twelve years later they played at my wedding.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh now you're playing music from my High School days!

There was a high school band that my friends and I were groupies for. They were a seven piece band, with a three piece brass section. Just awesome. They played a lot of Chicago.

The keyboard player had a heavy leslie organ, and leslie horn that spun around in a cabinet.
It's called a rotary speaker. We'd help get it into the building, and usually up a flight of stairs.

View attachment 46238

So we'd get into the dances for free.

Twelve years later they played at my wedding.
High School Class of 1977, here. 👨‍🎓

I thoroughly enjoyed Chicago back in the day.
That's cool that your school band played at your wedding. By the way, what you did for them, I think you would be classified as "roadie" not "groupie".