---Ugly Summer---

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
Summer is arrogant. Comes on strong, pretends to be liked. Makes me hate the thermal retention properties of asphalt and cement along with the blinding glares of every man made surface. Worst of all, the true crime in all of this, is how I have to cling to sunglasses and hats rather than flashlights.

Sure, there is the late night fishing trip requiring the occasional headlamp function to dislodge a hook, tie a knot and/or take account of gear. The ever useful red light while setting up to star gaze without losing too much night vision. The handheld turned up just enough to prevent a broken ankle or low hanging branch to the eye coming back down a trail with canopy standing guard overhead as if refusing moonlight were its duty.

Yes, there are some short uses but even they have a price. The first being the natural love any and all flying, buzzing, stinging, blood gulping insects have for illumination. There is not much I like in becoming nature's meat flavored milkshake when my headlamp runs more than 30 seconds. Seriously, how did tiny winged creatures with needles for faces ever come to be? I digress, point being the insect world becomes a curse on flashlights in the thick of the season.

My second tearful complaint is that, due to an abundance of heat, I cannot enjoy the typical rise in temperature of some of my more favored lights. I have written before about enjoying the feel of a heatsink in the amber months. Bad enough having to chew and swallow the dense humidity of Summer air on top of illumination being of no comfort in hand.

If there is one saving grace to the ugly middle child of Spring and Fall it is that often it drives me to mankind's original refusal to go down with the sun, the first unnatural and intentional flashings of light that is the timeless and mesmerizing campfire. I cannot peer endlessly into an LED and get lost in thought as I can with flames. Nor do any of my flashlights have a potent sound and smell that immediately takes me back. There is performance and favor but no soul in the push-button technologies of today.

I take fire to be the great granddaddy of our sweet flashoholic obsessions. To gaze upon a good campfire is to touch an ancestral shared experience as comforting and familiar as the thought that every soul in your bloodline stared at the same silent moon. I admit I do love the feeling when the heat of a Summer day breaks in late evening and the fine art of stacking rough wood like some odd Lincoln Logs ritual begins. I love the woosh of ignition as the smell of lighter fluid turns to smoke. Soon following the marshmallows are impaled to be burned at the stake.

Treasure and carry your prized gadgets of light as I most certainly will too but for what it's worth I'd suggest returning to the original now and then. Seems no better time than Summer months. Besides, insects hate smoke and I love that fact.

Last edited:

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
---IMA SOL MAN--- Thanks. Lots of down time at work, helps pass the long shifts.

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
I like summer.
---bykfixer--- I'm guessing by your screen name you like cycling. I do like that Summer allows for biking in my area. I have an old Trek commuter. I looked into a lot of different bicycle lights but eventually went with a simple headlamp attached to my helmet. It especially helps with changing a tire in the dark. I also figure if I fall off at least there will be some sort of light on me indicating I'm laying there on the side of the road.

Bull-Dozer

Newly Enlightened
Bull-Dozer, I enjoyed your thoughts on Summer. My favorite season is Spring. Write about it when you have time.
---Chauncy Gardiner--- If it ever strikes me I sure will. It's weird but I sort of have to wait for ideas to stop by, if they're interesting I try to share them. Thanks for the interest!

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I like summer because I like rain and despise the drought season that is winter where I live. Ironically, summer days are on average much darker despite being longer, due to the frequent cloud cover.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Autumn is my favorite season. The weather cools off, the tree leaves turn gorgeous, the air smells nice, crops are harvested, kids are back in school, and the holidays are coming. The only thing bad, well a couple of things, is the school zones are back in action, and if you aren't on your game prepping for winter, a terrible dread plagues you.

ETA: And then there is the opening of a lot of hunting seasons! Also getting traps ready for the trapping season. Fur is going to be coming on soon!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One year at my job a tv news crew pulled up to where the construction company was working and this well dressed young lady walks up to them with camera guy in tow. The predicted high that day was 107. That's like 10+ degrees hotter than the norm where I live. We were standing under a tree in the shade.

She asks one guy "how do you tolerate the heat?" He says "I don't, that's why I'm standing under this shade tree. You try working with a plastic helmet on while wearing a bright yellow plastic bag while your boss gives you the stink eye for standing in the shade lady". She says alrighty then" and turns to another guy. Same question. He says "I think keep thinking how cold it'll be in a few months". By then I had retrieved my infrared temperature gun from my truck and walked back up. She said "and you sir". I aimed my temperature gun at a nearby parking lot and said "lady it's only 137 here, if you want to talk to somebody with a hard job go down the road (pointing toward my intended subject) and ask those guy paving with 300 degree asphalt".

Being I don't watch tv I'll never know if any of us made the news, But working outdoors for a living is often feast or famine. Hot or cold. There are periods of nice days and you defintely don't take those for granted. "Man, it's only 70, 71 would be better". Nope, in winter a cold day is one less hot day and in summer a hot day is one less cold day.

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
One year at my job a tv news crew pulled up to where the construction company was working and this well dressed young lady walks up to them with camera guy in tow. The predicted high that day was 107. That's like 10+ degrees hotter than the norm where I live. We were standing under a tree in the shade.

She asks one guy "how do you tolerate the heat?" He says "I don't, that's why I'm standing under this shade tree. You try working with a plastic helmet on while wearing a bright yellow plastic bag while your boss gives you the stink eye for standing in the shade lady". She says alrighty then" and turns to another guy. Same question. He says "I think keep thinking how cold it'll be in a few months". By then I had retrieved my infrared temperature gun from my truck and walked back up. She said "and you sir". I aimed my temperature gun at a nearby parking lot and said "lady it's only 137 here, if you want to talk to somebody with a hard job go down the road (pointing toward my intended subject) and ask those guy paving with 300 degree asphalt".

Being I don't watch tv I'll never know if any of us made the news,
Every time I see a road crew or roofing crew in the heat, I say, "you couldn't pay me enough money to do that" and I mean it. They deserve every cent they get paid, and probably more. I don't know what motivates folks to do those jobs, there is sure easier, more comfortable jobs that pay as much or more. I feel the same way about LEO's and firefighters/EMTs, I know that they may be mentally rewarding, but I just don't have "the right stuff" to do those kinds of jobs. Same with the armed forces. I'm happy there are people that will do those jobs, because we (society) desperately need them. KUDOS to all of them. Thanks! :clap:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Literally the only thing I like about Summer.... No sudden snowstorms.
That's it. Was off from work yesterday with zero errands to run in the neighborhood, zero appointments needed taking care off. Just free time all the way.... Literally couldn't even enjoy a walk through my neighborhood because it was too frickin' hot. Summers in NYC are brutal! You wouldn't think so, but they are.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I enjoy Summer, when my son has the time, and we can paddle around in kayaks, have a few beers, and chat, with some music playing.

Generally speaking though I don't like temperature extremes. I tend to stay indoors, when it is above 80F, and below 60F. Maybe those numbers are too narrow.

I appreciate the summer evenings when it cools off, a bit, and I can cook up dinner on the BBQ in comfort.