• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

SunDrop XR-U owners

The Coach

Enlightened
So, how are youse guys liking these lights so far? I only ask because I haven't seen any show up in the "For Sale" section yet. :thinking: Did I goof by not grabbing one? :shrug:

scout24

Flashaholic
Loving it so far, haven't tried swapping out the LE yet, though it is on the to do list... Waiting to see what other LE's Don puts out there for sale. Just speaking for myself, that ability to swap LE's with such ease is one of the reasons I purchased one. The high CRI LE is great, especially when positively identifying wiring colors up under dashboards or in trunks at work.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am enjoying mine - I didn't realize at first that the LE was as easy to remove as in the Aleph style Mules - my Haiku is out at AOTH's - presumably I can swap the LEs between them - as well as put the head on my 2-pak mcclicky.

I am trying to get down to a reasonable number (maybe 20) of lights - this won't be the top of the list (top LS20, 27LT-S, Al McLuxIII PD-S, LS20) but it will be right below those. I didn't have a sundrop - but I do have a sundrop LE in a Ti PD Mule - I rank the XR-U close to this, right below the 4 above - but it also depends on what I am doing. The XR-U pairs up really nicely with any one of the top 4 (better than one of the other top 4).

You are right also now that you mention it - none of them have showed up in the B/S/T.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Sundrop XR-U and it surely won't shop up for sale! IIRC, there were only 7 or 8 XR-U done.

I never saw the beam of the original Sundrop, I don't have a Mule either. The beam of the XR-U is very nice, the size is just what you need, a wider angle would probably waste light. I really like the high CRI emitter, the only negative point for me is the brownish corona around the beam, but, you needn't look at it, the beam is large enough...

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
I also never saw a regular SunDrop but I love my XR-U. I haven't been around obviously as long as some of you but it's such a different beam compared to any of the other LED's I own, colorwise it's also the warmest. To be honest, I wasn't sure at first whether I liked it or not being so different but after a while it really started to grow on me, if that makes any sense.:thinking: :D

nitedeuce

Newly Enlightened
I'm very happy with mine. It is very functional/flexible for situations where a wide even beam of natural light is required. Of course it looks great too!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Very happy camper here. The tighter beam angel offers some advantages over the regular SD and the exchangeable LEs are a very great and fun feature, and they are an interesting option for the future.
So no, not for sale. :)

AlecGold

Enlightened
you could perhaps buy my sundrop 3S, but tha misses has taken that one. The XR-U is in edc on my belt. One super light and rihgt now there is a new small wave of XR-u's and a large wave Of Haiku's

The Coach

Enlightened
Tough luck Alex, this one is another winner. 3 speeds :twothumbs.

"Catch a wave and your sitting on top of the world", who knew the Beach Boys were talking about Don's lights? :crackup:

AlecGold

Enlightened
darn, I hoped to get my chubby hands on my 3th Sundrop
I'm the Sundrop monster :D
But then again, I'm way behind and I'm not likely to catch up with you any time...

tygger

Enlightened
Gotta say my newly arrived XR-U is a piece of art. Hats off to Don once again. The illumination is perfect for close/med. ranged tasks as there's no intense hotspot that washes out detail. My other EDC's are looking pretty nervous right about now.

AlecGold

Enlightened
They are very nice indeed. It's in my EDC bag, together with another flashlight for longer distances. But that is hardly ever used, only when I need to search or need some 80-100 lumens of light. So the Sundrop is my real EDC light and I can imagine the other EDC's nervousness...
My E1B is hardly used anymore!

tygger

Enlightened
You know its funny, I was thinking my E1L outdoorsman would make a perfect companion to the Sundrop for those rare occasions you need good throw. I think my EDC bag just got a little heavier.