Super Low Mode/Long Runtime/Simple UI Flashlights wanted..

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lowest and simplest multi level light I have seen is CPF special from a few years ago.It goes so low it will turn off! Twist on and then push either up or down buttons(there are 2)Simple and easy to mod,a K2 or P4 works very well and will be as bright as any current light.It can use 2 123 cells or one 18650. Even turns back on at last used level with 123s.This goes much lower tham my novatac edc 85 or lod or Lion cub or anything Ive seen ever.

GaryF

Enlightened
Regarding your question in the other thread about the Quark 2AA 30 day runtime.

I don't believe that anyone has done a runtime of the 2AA moon mode, but based upon Egsise's runtime for the single AA of 315 hours / 13 days on an Eneloop, 30 days seems like a reasonable bet for 2AA operating at greater efficiency at the higher voltage that 2 batteries in series would provide. Alkaline runtime should be even higher at such a such a low current, and L91's (Energizer Lithiums) should come in at well over 40 days and maybe as much as 60 days of constant runtime in the 2AA Quark moon mode.

I think the 30 day claim is realistic and even a bit understated.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul, do you have any pics for this CPF special?

Gary, so you're saying 720+ hours?

Thanks guys

George

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I thought it said 850 HOURS, damn! No wonder I can't read a friggin' manual :(

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 years! on a 9v Safelight. Only thing is there is no OFF mode, you need to take the battery out. I just carry mine without the metal band that holds it together so I can use it sparingly and then remove battery for battery consumption. Should last me 5 years per 9v.

sed6

Enlightened
2 years! on a 9v Safelight. Only thing is there is no OFF mode, you need to take the battery out. I just carry mine without the metal band that holds it together so I can use it sparingly and then remove battery for battery consumption. Should last me 5 years per 9v.

Dunno who started that rumor. I've heard it before and it's just plain wrong. The Safelight definately does have an off. You can hold the button on low mode and the light goes off. You have two different modes you can toggle through with the Safe light; Off > Med > High > Strobe and Moonlight (low) > Med > Hi > Strobe. The difference being obvious. Just switch back and forth between off and low.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
..and will it really last 2 years in low mode being on all the time?

Retinator

Enlightened
Hold on guys, there's a lot of room for confusion between the pal/safe lights. Last month I ordered the family pack which includes:

1 Safelight (Handyman)
1 Palight (Survivor) the one with the metal band
1 Lantern (clear top)

The Survivor cannot be turned right off, goes to locator mode (extreme low), then low, high and strobe, then back to locator.

Handyman can be turned off, by holding down the button for a few secs. Goes from locator to low to high then SOS.

Lantern goes from off->locator->high->strobe.

Oddly, only the handyman has the actual SOS type of strobe, the others have a slow strobe, just basic off-on-off etc....

I also have 2 variations of the Super GITD Paklites (green glow-white cap and the orange cap with yellow glow).

They are fun little guys.

For long lasting low level I'd go with the Paklites, they last forever. it took a year and a half for me to wear down the 1st battery using high sparingly, low mainly. You also don't have to cycle through modes, just flip the switch left or right.

If you're going to be outdoors a lot with them, you're likely better off with the safe/pal lights.

I like the lantern for a room light, although celing bounce is good with any of the others.

In the newyear I hope to do a review/comparison of all 5 lights. Being 9V lights, they are very easy of the wallet in these times.

Try their websites for more info, or ask me, I'll see if I can help.

www.safe-light.com
www.9voltlight.com

Oh ya I also have a Nexxtech 9 volt as well (reflectored), but it's nowhere near as good.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dunno who started that rumor. I've heard it before and it's just plain wrong. The Safelight definately does have an off. You can hold the button on low mode and the light goes off. You have two different modes you can toggle through with the Safe light; Off > Med > High > Strobe and Moonlight (low) > Med > Hi > Strobe. The difference being obvious. Just switch back and forth between off and low.

Mine is the Safelight Survival (palight).

It has Glow mode (2 years runtime) > Power Save mode (medium - 160hr) > High Beam (30hr) > Strobe (160hr). No OFF mode at all.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
A question about these 9v lights. How do they do with rechargeable 9v batteries vs a good alkaline battery? I have idea which one has more power. There are 9v Lithiums, right?

Retinator

Enlightened
It should also be mentioned that the Handyman is a much floodier light than the Survivor. the Survivor has surprising amount of throw for a 5mm light. Beam quality is better on the Hanyman. I think the lens on the Survivor zooms out all of the artifacts, particularily the 'whiskers' of the led.

The lantern does have an optic for sending some light in a tight beam straight ahead like the Survivor, but the clear body spreads the light sideways destroying your night visoin, if you try to use that spotlight for distance. I think the small spot on the Lantern was meant for ceiling bounce.

The Super Paklights, having 2 Leds aren't necessarily brighter but being exposed have a good combination of flood AND throw.

I've noticed that dead 9V's that will power a weak low mode in the safe/pal lights don't do ANYTHING in the Super Paklights, no light at all.

And I'm not sure how accurate run time claims from the manufacturers are. Who's going to sit there for 600 hrs watching a Paklight? (1200 they claim with lithium, good luck finding them).

After I'm done playing with all 6 of these guys I wouldn't mind checking out the different colors available. project fr the new year I think :)

Retinator

Enlightened
A question about these 9v lights. How do they do with rechargeable 9v batteries vs a good alkaline battery? I have idea which one has more power. There are 9v Lithiums, right?

I've never used rechargables, but even 20-30 hrs of light on high should last a few weeks at least. If you look at Paklight's site they sell a Lithium 9V under a name of Ultralife (I think). I believe they are made by Energizer, but don't know for sure.

The main plus with lithiums is their tolerance for colder temperatures.

Back to rechargables.... Even low self-discharge could discharge faster than a sitting alkaline, but battery experts here could tell you more.

Cheapskate

Enlightened
Jetbeam III M

2 - 225 lumens using a 18650. Just over eight days runtime on minimum.

It has two modes, head tightened and head loosened. Tightened gives you max and loosened is a mode you set the level of and which is remembered between uses.

Three taps on the clickie to set the level, which starts off at the lowest level then starts ramping up. Turn it off for 3-4 seconds to fix the new level.

Four taps on the clickie and you can get into the strobes and sos menu if you need them.

http://www.jetbeam.com.cn/links/pro/jet3m.aspx

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I really considered that one over the RRT-0 for the longer runtime but I AM too stupid to figure the UI out and worst of all, if I take it somewhere with me, I WILL forget how to change it.

Trust me on this one.. :(