Surefire 6P and Fenix T1 comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilitaryPower

Newly Enlightened
With one of the 275 or 235 lumen cree drop-ins, how does the Surefire 6P compare to the Fenix T1? Both in brightness, throw and runtime. Beamshots would be appreciated. I have the T1, but I'd like something as bright (or brighter) for use as both a EDC and a weapon mounted light (not sure about the T1 being used in the capacity of the latter). Thanks.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a little reading on these forums will yield a great deal of information. If you were to do some research first your question would be much more intelligent than it is. You are new but please do not expect the people who have been around here to do ALL of the work for you.
How about a search or two and then ask the question.
Welcome to the CPF and I am sure I will take a hit or two for being harsh. I don't really care. But the topics you are enquiring about here are all to common at the moment. There is too much discussion available on these 2 lights to be ignored.
Suffice to say both are excellent choices. A lot of what needs to go into a decision to purchase either of these lights depends on your personal needs and how you will be using the flashlight.
Both the 6P and the T1 are fine lights. There are a great deal more options available for the 6P. In fact I don't beleive there are any aftermarket options available for the T1. Compared to everything from turboheads to clicky switches available for the 6P.
Yaesumofo

With one of the 275 or 235 lumen Cree drop-ins, how does the Surefire 6P compare to the Fenix T1? Both in brightness, throw and runtime. Beamshots would be appreciated. I have the T1, but I'd like something as bright (or brighter) for use as both a EDC and a weapon mounted light (not sure about the T1 being used in the capacity of the latter). Thanks.

BigD64

Enlightened
I have a T1 and a 6P with a Malkoff Q5. I like the beam better on the Malkoff (good hotspot and a full even spill) The T1 has a tighter hotspot and a tighter very defined outer ring. Haven't compared the 2 outdoors yet. If I can figure out the camera thing I'll get some shots.

tobushomme

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I got the T1 and the 6PL with the regular surefire LED. So I cant say much baut the brightnes. Only that I think the 80 Lumens of the 6P are enough for almost every task I need it for. Yea - T1 on high kicks *** but you'll get used to that too and along comes a even brighter one.

I like the making and the finish of the SF better. It's engineered beautifuly; simple, functional and built to last. The clicky-switch of the Fenix is more complicated and has more parts than the whole 6P. Beeing an engineer myself, I just love SF for it's designs.

I got the T1 with that clip and it sucks. It is a great light, but get it without the clip (get the 6P instead).

PS: my favorite light is the G2L:party:. It is light, more durable than any aluminium light (concerning scratces and dents) and it never feels cold in winter. And it is brigt enough.

cheers

Tobus (since I am German please don't comment my spelling)

Torbeam

Newly Enlightened
As tobushomme mentioned, when it comes to the making, finish and functionality - Surefire is superior. But the T1,s truly good value for the money. Some shots: (SF has a tighter spot)

roymail

Enlightened
From everything I've read about the SF 6P and Fenix T1, I can only conclude that they are both excellent lights. However, if I could have only one, I'll take the 6P/Malkoff every time! Quality, quality, quality... it's the best of the two options. :grin2:

dougie

Enlightened
Yaesumofo

It isn't that you pointed out the obvious to a new member's inquiry that disturbs me but the fact that you did so in a way which was insulting and inhospitable.

One of CPF's greatest strengths is the membership and how they conduct themselves particularly when trying to help or encourage others new to our hobby.

Your posts are normally well thought out and reasoned and I have often enjoyed reading your thoughts or views on various subjects.

However, today your response to a new member was well below the standard that I personally expect of a member who has such a long posting history. Your additional comments about not caring if you caught any flack about your post does neither you or indeed CPF any good and I hope that you haven't put off someone's interest in this forum.

Personally I think you need to rethink your manners.

Doug

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem I have with lights with one mode super bright drop in is that they are way too bright for a lot of task. 275 lumen is way too much most of the time and you'll just end up blind youself, even outdoors. Something between 50 and 80 is plenty for general use.

In this case, isn't the 6PL actually cheaper than the Fenix T1?
Unless you can find SF with discount no, T1 is a tad cheaper. G2L is cheaper than T1 thou.

Yaesumofo

It isn't that you pointed out the obvious to a new member's inquiry that disturbs me but the fact that you did so in a way which was insulting and inhospitable.

One of CPF's greatest strengths is the membership and how they conduct themselves particularly when trying to help or encourage others new to our hobby.

Your posts are normally well thought out and reasoned and I have often enjoyed reading your thoughts or views on various subjects.

However, today your response to a new member was well below the standard that I personally expect of a member who has such a long posting history. Your additional comments about not caring if you caught any flack about your post does neither you or indeed CPF any good and I hope that you haven't put off someone's interest in this forum.

Doug

And you could very well direct your thoughts to PM instead of turn this thread into personal bickering, consider your post has absolutely nothing to do with topic on hand.

dougie

Enlightened
jzmtl

I would have thought that my post was seen as relevant to the thread as it was the unnecessary comments made by yaesumofo that prompted me to publically reply. In that context it was appropriate for one member to remind another that we should conduct ourselves with hospitality towards new members no matter what mistakes they may or may not have made with their posts. You have now just needlessly continued in the same vein as yaesumofo and scotched your argument by not sending me a pm?

I would respectfully ask the moderators to consider closing this thread lest it cause further offence.

Doug

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
I definitely second that. I myself am a very new member to this forum. I have been a member of various watch forums for quite sometime now and if anyone was to reply to another forum member in such a rude intolerable manner they would be given a warning, and if it happened again, they would be banned. These forums are for people to come on ane learn about a habby that is of interest to them. They can thus come on and ask any question they want regarding the topic and should expect to receive a polite respectful answer. Not all new members realize that they can search up various topics on the forum and look up old posts. Just saying that Yaesumofo, you're reply was unacceptable. My 2 cents.

Yaesumofo

Doug

ag94whoop

Newly Enlightened
just curious....
where are the 235 lumen and 275 lumen numbers coming from?
is this an assumed value from driving a Q5 at 1400mA?

the actual lumen numbers will never be that high

junction temps will definitely exceed 85C, meaning a minimum drop of 15% or more from stated lumens, not including 4+ percent minimum high angle fresnel loss

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting a light that can take a P60 style drop in is a good way to go right now since there are so many high power LED drop-ins available. My favorite right now is the new Gene Malkoff M60 Q5. I can't say enough good things about this drop-in.

marc123

Newly Enlightened
I don't think militarypower is coming back....and I don't blame him.

zippymbr

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a 6PL and it has plenty od usable light and throw for almost any task. I compared it to my friends P2D and L1 and I am glad I bought the 6PL. :twothumbs

mdocod

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!!!

try not to worry too much about lumen ratings and outputs when comparing high output cree LED lights. Any Cree based light driving 700mA-1200mA to the emitter is going to be pretty darned bright and very respectable and blow most ordinary flashlights out of the water. The difference between 150 and 225 lumen is barely noticeable in use. Pick the cree LED light that best suits your needs based on design, build quality, price point, or battery preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.