Surefire A2 Aviator Fan checking in

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think you are right re the 70+ lumrns. I was part of the the group that was checking out light meters with different flashlights, the A2 included.

Bill

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
I remember that, I thought it was more like 70 though for the Surefire OEM. I think the Lumens Factory version might have been the one closer to 80. I used to have some of the bulbs from the unfrosted run Mark did a long time ago and it was noticeably brighter and more throwy than the Surefire OEM lamp. As far as the thread I don't remember if the measurements were with or without the ring.

I think you are right re the 70+ lumrns. I was part of the the group that was checking out light meters with different flashlights, the A2 included.

I couldn't find the original data, but here's some info from js's ode to the A2.

Let's set the record straight: the A2 is putting out something on the order of 75 to 80 lumens.I know this for two reasons. First, a private lab tested several lights in an integrating sphere for Arc Flashlights, LLC, one of them being the E2e. They rated the E2e at 83 lumens on fresh batteries. I own both an E2e and an A2 and I cannot see any difference in total output between the A2 and the E2e running on fresh cells. Second, McGizmo tested the A2 in his integrating sphere as part of the CPF light-meter benchmarking project and arrived at 79 lumens.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Good digging out guys. At the end of the passing out of the lights for testing out our various light meters a qualified lab did lumen tests of those lights. I had the results, but lost them over time.

Bill

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good stuff, thanks for finding that.

Though I think the E2e/MN03, and any P60 based light is more like 100 lumens on fresh batteries with a quick taper off to 80 and then down to 65 after a bit.

It still doesn't mention if the A2 measurements are with or without the ring though. The ring can put out an extra 10-15 lumens or so with the white version in factory stock form.

With some modern higher end 5mm LEDs and an aftermarket ring like a Koala or Aviatrix I could see a much larger lumen boost on a meter, especially the cool white 6500K ones (yuck).

Last edited: