Surefire A2 Aviator Fan checking in

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. I found a helpful o-ring size chart which also has metric equivalents here.

I found out that the original A2/L1 tailcap O-Ring should be #14 1/2" ID x 5/8 OD (here is a picture of the original surefire part size with 014 size). In metric it's 12.42mm x 1.78mm. This is a bit smaller than your specs, but I think the SF also smaller and you have to stretch them to fit. I will order both sizes and I will check which fits better.
I haven't found the head o-ring spec, but the size should be either #17 or #18 - which is either 17.17mm or 18.77mm ID.
I found a shop here that also has O-rings in the US sizes.

SF O-rings are Buta-N SH70 which I think is the same as standard NBR 70 O-rings in EU.
12.42mm ID for A2's tailcap o-ring? Too small. When I re-spec an o-ring size I always measure the o-ring groove diameter for reference, then go for and ID slightly smaller, such that there's less stretching but still yields good fitment without going too loose. (Elsewhere outside the uS only the ID size is used, but not the OD)

My local dealer also offers o-rings in various standards (ie. US and metric size specs). NBR does ring a bell (I probably have purchased that brand a lost). Sometimes the rubber material is a bit different in hardness so that's another factor to consider.

Once you've determined the specs of the o-rings you want, commit to that size and stick to that for a long time -- unless you come across a similar part which has the o-ring specs amended.
Also don't be afraid of getting something a bit off. It's a trial-and-error thing and oftentimes you'll need to acquire different o-ring sizes (eg. one size up and/or down) for reference purposes.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. It does seem small. I ordered a bunch of different sizes, I will have a lifetime supply of these when they arrive. These are so cheap that the most expensive part is the shipping (stores are closed here and there is now near me anyway, so it's cheaper for me to order them). I will let you know what size I used in the end and I will definitely write down the sizes so that I don't need to guess again. I also have a M6, so I ordered bigger o-rings that should fit.

FranktheTank

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I'm glad to have found this forum, I will receive next week my A2 NOS, I'm excited and read with interest the possibilities to modden this :)

Wish you a happy new year and I will report when everything has worked out.

(whereby this will probably also be nothing new for many :) )

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome in the club :). I would recommend you to first try the A2 in the stock form for few days.
I think the most reasonable upgrade is to replace the LEDs or the whole LED ring (search CPF for Koala rings) so that the white LED are pure white and more efficient. The original white LED version has usually an awful blue tint. I tend to use the A2 mostly on the low mode. You can also sand the LEDs to soften and improve the beam. Unfortunately Koala has suspended the production of his custom LED rings during Covid (I am too waiting until he resumes production).
Then you can look into replacement bulbs. I would not recommend to replace the bulb with a LED dropin, I think at this point you can just use a modern LED flashlight.

FranktheTank

Newly Enlightened
Hello Daniel, thank you for your detailed answer. Your idea first to use the flashlight as it is makes sense. In the meantime I read the infinite contributions to this flashlight. Thanks also for the "Koala" hint, I will read through. I'm just wondering about myself that a flashlight can keep me so busy.

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
Definite A2 fan checking in. Received this late model yesterday along with a spare bulb. I spent a fair amount of time last night re-reading some of the old A2 threads.

50844554618_0c68acef48_c.jpg

What a wonderful light. Why did I wait so long to pick one up?

:grin2:

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
That escalated quickly. I just bought a bi-pin adapter and 10 A3712 bulbs from Tad.

Welcome aboard. I thought the same thing when my first A2 arrived.

The A2 is a reminder of why SureFire built the reputation and following they did. Such a neat piece of kit.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tad only has a handful of these bi-pin adapters with bulbs remaining. The 3712 has a clean nice looking beam, very comparable to MA02 at the fraction of cost. 10 of these should last you a very long time. I have a stock pile of 20 of these bulbs. So I recommend anyone to grab them while you can :). LF still makes HO-A2 but it's much more expensive. Then you can try to find FM bi-pin adapter and buy Strion bulbs. Btw. while Strion bulbs will fit the Tad adapter, it will not be focused correctly because of different base height.

My only missing item are Koala LED rings. I really hope he will do at least one last run. The last gen A2 while LEDs are plenty bright (almost too bright), but the tint is quite blue.

mcm308

Enlightened
Ive been using A2's for probably 20 plus years. I have a big primary stash just for them but I recently picked up some efest 16340s that I'm going to give a go. The A2 is one of the goats.

mcm308

Enlightened
That escalated quickly. I just bought a bi-pin adapter and 10 A3712 bulbs from Tad.

The A2 is a reminder of why SureFire built the reputation and following they did. Such a neat piece of kit.

I was watching that on ebay and seen it sold when I checked today. I didn't know he's done and is selling the remainder of his stock so I just bought 2 A2 sockets from his other auctions. All good things do come to an end...

and while I was at it...I grabbed a nice A2-HA-RD as well...LOL

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received this rare piece. It's nice, good display item (I am not going to carry this) but a lot of money for "porcupine" logo and different bezel ring :broke::oops:.

Attachments

• PXL_20210127_105213427 copy.jpg
    PXL_20210127_105213427 copy.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 142

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good question, but I think there is no universal answer - it depends on your individual goals. If you want to collect every A2 model, then it's worth it :). Of course from a practical view, there is no reason to buy this rare model. The newest and much cheaper standard A2 model will do the same job and will be even better maybe. In my case I started my journey with the goal to just have one A2, and maybe one spare one, and then maybe the old square model and now I have also this, it's easy to fall into the hole :D. So it really depends and in my case I am not sure if it was worth it. Good thing is that it will probably not loose the value if I ever decide to resell it later.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good question, but I think there is no universal answer - it depends on your individual goals. If you want to collect every A2 model, then it's worth it :). Of course from a practical view, there is no reason to buy this rare model. The newest and much cheaper standard A2 model will do the same job and will be even better maybe. In my case I started my journey with the goal to just have one A2, and maybe one spare one, and then maybe the old square model and now I have also this, it's easy to fall into the hole :D. So it really depends and in my case I am not sure if it was worth it. Good thing is that it will probably not loose the value if I ever decide to resell it later.

I pretty happy with my collection of one A2, which just so happens to be the old square body. I just wish I could justify carrying it!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Carry one of them, and if you don't use the Led ring much then remove it. The battery will last longer. The output is actually almost 80 lumens per a study done here on CPF. years ago.

Bill

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carry one of them, and if you don't use the Led ring much then remove it. The battery will last longer. The output is actually almost 80 lumens per a study done here on CPF. years ago.

Bill

I remember that, I thought it was more like 70 though for the Surefire OEM. I think the Lumens Factory version might have been the one closer to 80. I used to have some of the bulbs from the unfrosted run Mark did a long time ago and it was noticeably brighter and more throwy than the Surefire OEM lamp. As far as the thread I don't remember if the measurements were with or without the ring.

Last edited: