Surefire A2 Aviator. Pics, Patent and Serial numbers

Wetterman

Newly Enlightened
Are you sure it doesn't have three curved panels (there's one under the clip)?
I'm not sure I've seen a SureFire body with only two curved panels... :thinking:

I have two round bodied and two with four flats. Not seen two paneled A2's either. :)

Last edited:

computernut

Enlightened
jwyj,
I saw a UV A2 on the marketplace not too terribly long ago. You might try searching to see if it ever sold or is still available.

Can anyone explain why the white leds are so much less 'ringy' than, for example, the red? I have both, but am resisting the urge to do the sanding job (but thanks for the sanding block tips), because of warranty issues.

I think it might be because to make white LEDs they take blue ones and coat it with yellow phosphors so maybe this smooths it out.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just purchased an A2 with red leds. A round body with 3 rounded panels, four patents, and S.N. A34635.

Illum

Flashaholic
the A2L is no different than any other LED flashlight really. What makes the A2 unique is the regulated incandescent lamp. Modern day hi-CRI LEDs have come pretty close to matching incandescents, but I still prefer the genuine article. Had LEDs not came the way they did, we would have saw C2D and M2D lights from surefire boasting the same regulation as the A2 digital series. .

jellydonut

Enlightened
do yall prefer the all-LED A2L or the incan/LED combo A2 if you had to choose? and why?

Absolutely no question about it, the incandescent A2.

Why? It's the only commercially available regulated incandescent light, and to my knowledge the only pocket-sized regulated incandescent light. You can regulate an M6, or a Maglite, but they're not pocket lights!

The combination of low-current LEDs for navigation, and a regulated incandescent bulb with more throw than its size would make you guess, is just excellent, even now in 2012. The A2L is a mediocre LED light with a mediocre LED. It doesn't have the 'it' factor of the A2, nor any special features beyond what others do, besides having some different colors.

Are the heads found on the 4 flats the same as found in the round body A2 Incan?

As far as I know the internals are the same. However, some of the old 4-flats have completely flat bezels, whereas newer 4-flats and the newest roundbodies have slight crenelations.

Disclaimer: I've never actually seen a 4-flats A2 in the flesh!

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Love my A2...I purchased a calipsoii ring with one red and two warm white LEDs. best thing I ever did for my light. Very useful in the cockpit, walking the upper deck, or outside doing a preflight.

jetjockey

Newly Enlightened
Is Capsoli still making the led rings? Haven't been able to get an answer. Is anyone else making rings?
Thanks

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen this mentioned much on CPF but I was a bit surprised that the round body A2 had an "early" version where the name was in one line "A2 AVIATOR" and then the patents were written below. The last gen A2 has just "A2" on first line and "AVIATOR" on the next, followed by "FC CE" on right side. The Surefire logo is bigger on the older generation. Overall I like this hybrid between old and newest gen. Is it maybe a bit more rare? I haven't seen this version much. I wonder how many different naming changes were done in the lifetime of A2, the patents have change quite a lot in the 4-sided A2 version according to this thread. That's definitely a reason for someone to hunt all the different variations :).

Pictures (don't mind the bezel ring color in the middle "hybrid" version, this a custom titanium ring) are attached.

Attachments

• PXL_20210104_140025250.jpg
    PXL_20210104_140025250.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 89
  • PXL_20210104_140155456.jpg
    PXL_20210104_140155456.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited: