Surefire Beast

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the Helios and X1 throw very nicely.

But compared to the Beast, the overall beam quality of the
Helios and X1 leaves much room for improvement. :ohgeez:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
XeRay said:
It has been my understanding the "Hellfire" / Hellfighter from Surefire is only a 35 watt HID. Even their literature indicates this.
XeRay - That's correct. The 2007 spec sheet shows the Hellfighter as
35watt HID D1S.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
seery said:
Yes the Helios and X1 throw very nicely.

Saying something many times does not make it any more true. Save the propaganda, you bought a Beast and can't admit to yourself you overpaid. Helios is a far better buy than any Beast or Hellfire. Polarion / Helios is also our competition.

Face the obvious, Surefire is an overpriced overhyped brand that could be exactly copied and sold for less than 1/2 the price with a VERY healthy profit margin still left.

The only reason we have not bothered with going after that market segment is it is too small. Not many people want to pay $2000 - $5000 for a flashlight of any kind.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
seery said:

I certainly have an opinion of beam quality of the Helios and X1 that is 180 degrees opposite of Seery. I think the beam quality of both lights is outstanding. I can't figure out what you mean, Seery, by "leaves much room for improvement"? What does it lack and what does it need to be improved?

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
XeRay said:
Saying something many times does not make it any more true. Save the propaganda, you bought a Beast and can't admit to yourself you overpaid. Helios is a far better buy than any Beast or Hellfire. Helios is even my competitor.

Face the obvious, Surefire is an overpriced overhyped brand that could be exactly copied and sold for less than 1/2 the price with a VERY healthy profit margin still left.

The only reason we have not bothered with going after that market segment is it is too small. Not many people want to pay $2000 - $5000 for a flashlight of any kind.
The Beast is still on order, free to change my mind should another light
prove an adversary.

Surefire overpriced? Subjective.
Surefire overhyped? No.
Exactly copied? While SF is busy doing all the R&D you make statements
like this! You need to take a few notes from SF when it comes to building
quality lights.
You going after SF's market? Please!

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
BVH said:
I certainly have an opinion of beam quality of the Helios and X1 that is 180 degrees opposite of Seery. I think the beam quality of both lights is outstanding. I can't figure out what you mean, Seery, by "leaves much room for improvement"? What does it lack and what does it need to be improved?
BVH - I would like to see a better transition/less of the brown corona.
For throwers like these though, this may become less of any issue as the
intended target distance is increased.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
seery said:
You need to take a few notes from SF when it comes
to building quality lights. You going after SF's market? Please!

We already (done contract deal) took a 600+ light order from them. as for your "please" my answer: Thank you very much laughing all the way to the bank. Our product took every vibration etc. test the customer threw at it and never "missed a beat."

BTW, that would have been a $1.5 million order for Surefire, "pocket change" (NOT) to them I am sure.

We don't show ALL of our products on our website. We do have our "Skunkworks" dept. and associated secret projects / Products.

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
XeRay said:
We already (done contract deal) took a 600+ light order from them. as for your "please" my answer: Thank you very much laughing all the way to the bank. Our product took every vibration etc. test the customer threw at it and never "missed a beat."

BTW, that would have been a $1.5 million order for Surefire, pocket change to them I am sure.
Well done and congrats, I sincerely mean that.

The 1.5M probably is small beans to SF, but nonetheless it is beans and at the
end of the day it all matters.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been our mission to have a "proper" balance between price and profit margin and still maintain performance and durability. This means the military can afford many more units for the money budgeted. We do not gouge the American Taxpayer, we don't charge "obscene" prices. This means MORE of our guys will have the advantage of a high performance light, than they would if they cost twice as much. The military does have to work within a budget. As a taxpayer I want value for my tax dollar, you should too.

Now I will get off my sopbox.

Our units are NOT copies of any Surefire product, any similarity ends with the bulb used.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Blind loyalty to every product that SF makes is not wise, and the tone of Seery's condescending comments is pathetic. Using objective beamshot testing, functional performance, features, construction quality, company support, and reliability for a given price is the way to properly evaluate the cost/benefit of various models.

As an end user, I find SF's customer support and horrible delays among the worst of any company I have ever dealt with. It took 3 phone calls and 4 emails just to get a replacement O-ring for my SF L2, and backup bulb for my M4. None of the SF people I spoke with on the phone had an attitude that was the least bit friendly, or concerned for me as a customer. I have seen many other posts from people on this forum with similar delays and poor customer service. I can't imagine if I had one of their high end lights in a mission critical scenario. I would rule out SF just on that basis alone, and have not even thought of buying another SF light since that experience.

IMHO, to see Seery come up with "better transition/less of the brown corona," as justification for SF's overwhelming superiority is surely a joke, given the price difference. You don't think users are capable of moving the beam over a few degrees to bypass that minor issue, knowing they paid a fraction of the price-bloated SF lineup? Surely Seery has more of a basis to canonize "Saint Surefire" than brown corona transitions of its competitors?

Edit: LOL! I also think Dan's tongue in cheek reference to SF using "treasonist prices" is over the top and weakens his case.

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor said:
Edit: LOL! I also think Dan's tongue in cheek reference to SF using "treasonist prices" is over the top and weakens his case.

Changed to "obscene", don't want to go "over the top". Even if I still believe what I said originally, case now fortified LUX.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
seery said:
The Beast is still on order, free to change my mind should another light
prove an adversary.

Surefire overpriced? "Get a better paying job."
Surefire overhyped? No.
Exactly copied? While SF is busy doing all the R&D you make statements
like this! You need to take a few notes from SF when it comes to building
quality lights.
You going after SF's market? Please!

This is what you did say, after editing (darn you beat me to it).

I hear crow tastes pretty good.

I should be more tactful but sometimes I can't hold back.

I'll repent before church tomorrow if I feel a conviction (need), seriously.
seery said:
Well done and congrats, I sincerely mean that.
Bitter sweet congrats received.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Hey Dan, when is that last "bomb" going to drop on your secret new light/upgrade or whatever it might be. Oh, i think it was the 90 Watter, wasn't it?

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
XeRay said:
Don't forget this is what you did say. I hear crow tastes pretty good. I should be more tactful but sometimes I can't hold back. I'll repent before church tomorrow if I feel convicted.
Bitter sweet congrats offered.
Rephrase please. Not quite certain what you are saying?

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
BVH said:
Hey Dan, when is that last "bomb" going to drop on your secret new light/upgrade or whatever it might be. Oh, i think it was the 90 Watter, wasn't it?

"Last Bomb?" You mean next Bomb. Gona have to wait till the 2nd long term contract is in hand on our 2nd new secret weapon. We have a few more to unveil in the next few months besides that "big one" MOAB you refer to. BTW, MOAB bomb means Mother of all bombs. Google it. That gives me an idea for the next "earth shaking" product unveiling from the BB to "MOAB". Since we are located in Utah all the more fitting. MOAB is a "slick rock" town in Southern Utah, Very popular with 4X4's and Mtn Bikes. World renowned for off road activities.
:whistle:

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
seery said:
Rephrase please. Not quite certain what you are saying?
Done, hope I cleared it up. Slight puncuation change and word choice.
:touche:

Last edited: