Surefire Beast

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I don't think we're arguing wether Mr. Good is a nice guy or not. His willingness to spend his time here with us discussing his lights is telling enough for me.

We're talking lights here. And to be honest ... for us "armchair" light users :nana: ... a light like the X990 or whatever else will do just fine. We won't throw our precious lights down the street to check if they still work or not. So, apart from the "must have" aspect of our hobby we do not need a Beast.

BUT ... those who go out to meet the devil might depend upon such features. Lights build like tanks. A spare primary battery handle. Whatever. Those people will pay the premium for such a tool.

bk

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
NAW said:
You can imagine what people around you would think if you paid thousands of dollars for these lights.

I could not care less what people think about my light purchases, I'm waiting on the UPS man right now to deliver a Maxabeam to the compound today. :D

For the money, I would get a 50W XeVision like LuxLuthor suggested.

This year at SHOT, I had my XeVision 50W and another well known CPFer had a Polarion. After a few brewksies I challenged him to a shootout. :naughty:

First off, your comparing a 40W to a 50W, the Polarion never had a chance. The 50W smoked it.

The Polarion definatley looks cooler, it is a sweet sweet light.

But for the money, I would call Dan @ XeVision, I have been very happy with mine in real world use. Like Navigating my boat down a dark narrow river in the middle of the night. Damn that was awesome! :rock:

BVH

Flashaholic
Now, Now, Mr. PSM...After being at multiple shootouts where both lights were present, I agree the Xeray is somewhat visibly brighter than the Helios overall but I wouldn't say it "smokes" it. I think there's a little exaggeration going on there. Or maybe your vision was slightly impaired due to the consumption of that amber liquid? :nana:

For actual medium to long distance searching, the Helios provides a brighter and wider corona, hense a wider, brighter field of view.

Last edited:

hoppy1010

Newly Enlightened
I am kind of new here and I respect your opinion PSM but I still love my PF40 one sweet light.
Regards Jay
touche.gif

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
hoppy1010 said:
I am kind of new here and I respect your opinion PSM but I still love my PF40 one sweet light.
Regards Jay
touche.gif

Absolutley! They are both big guns! Its just not fair to compare a 40W to a 50W! If I had the extra $$$, I would definatley grab a Polarion! The one I saw at SHOT was of very high quality. There is no question, the Polarion hung with the XeVision. I just like to say "stomped"... :D

Flashlight Enthusiast
The polarion just looks easier to handle, don't get me wrong the XeRay is a respected piece, and a SF is a SF but, for price and output a XeRay is about the best way to go, I think they are even waterproof, plus light, use high grade lithiums cells, and they are adjustable.

NAW

Enlightened
65535 said:
use high grade lithiums cells,

I don't want to hijack the thread but I do believe the Xeray uses 12 18650 batteries. I don't know why but I have a thing for finding out how much 18650s manufacturers cram into there lights. :)

Xeray- 12X 18650
Rayzorlite- 12X 18650
AE 24W- 6X 18650

If anyone knows how much 18650s there are in the Polarion lights & in the beast II please let me know. :grin2:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I'm still having a hard time trying to figure out why someone would be looking for a light that you can throw down the street....like if the $4500+ came out of your own pocket, you would treat a light that way. It's like saying you would throw your $5,000 laptop down the highway.

The only thing I can figure for the Beast is it is being bought with OPM ("Other People's Money" = aka "the taxpayer"), and like the $1200 toilet seat, and the $600 hammer, these govt./corporate purchasers enjoy wasting OPM money.

While it's true that the various shots are not that much different between the 50W XeRay and some of the Polarion models....I was mainly saying the best deal is the 75W Barn Burner if you want a "WOW" factor that this thread started with.

greenstuffs

Banned
The only thing that is WOW about the Surefire Beast is its pricetag and the name other than that is the most overrated HID ever. I much rather go for a polarion helios.

Last edited:

NAW

Enlightened
For wow factor, I think the light for that job is the Polarion X1. The output that little light can put out for the size is incredible. Also I agree with the BB statement.

Free

Enlightened
I bought my Beast, back when it first came out, and it truly was the coolest HID available then.

Now, I have the Helios, and also the 75w BB, and would choose one of those, depending on my priorities. The Beast remains in its case, as a collectors item.

If I want absolute maximum output, I grab the BB. If I want more compact size, and cool factor, I grab the Helios.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Here are some direct comparison photos sent to me last night.
I sent a follow-on email for the distances and camera settings.
I do know based on the photographers experience with these type of comparisons the settings were consistent for each shot/comparison.

SF-PolarionWide0307.jpg

SF-PolarionZoom0307.jpg

Here is the commentary:

"Ken,

Here's some photos of my comparisons.

If you see the "Zoom" photos, you can clearly see that
the helios is the brightest. Look at the center of
the beam and also look at the foreground. Even the X1
is brighter in the center than the Hellfighter. The
Beast, as you know, is no match for any of these
lights.

The Hellfighter, with it's 45W output and 5"
reflector, cannot match the Helios with it's 40W
output and 3" reflector.

The wide pics tell another story. The X1 has the
smallest illuminated area. But remember, you want the
light to throw the light at the TARGET. So most of
it's output is directed at the place you want it to
go. You are getting less waste.

Anyway, with the other lights, the beast and the
hellfighter seem close. Although the surefires have a
"smoother" transition due to their smooth reflectors,
the Helios is illuminating just as much area, and
actually towards the edges of the beams, you can see
more detail!

Amazing."

What I got out of the photos in a nutshell, the Beast is not a Beast.
Only when you step up the the HellFighter can I say, that there is some direct comparison with the smaller Polarions.
I supposed if you want to spend $4800 to light up stuff 50 yards away from you, the "Beast" might be an option.... :sssh:

Again, we are just talking lightout here. When you start talking size, weight, portability, batteries, price.....There is no comparison.

I would agree with the previous poster. The Beast is best served as a collectors item.

You can also see the X1 holds it own very well against it's bigger brother the Helios. But you can also see the additional mid-range coverage (where those extra lumens of the Helios are showing up).

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been my understanding the "Hellfire" / Hellfighter from Surefire is only a 35 watt HID. Even their literature indicates this.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
ShortArc said:
Also let's not forget SF reflectors are speckled and illuminate a broader area in a very uniform manner.

Are you sure that is true on the Hellfire model?