Surefire bulb

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Malkoff is definitely worth it. You'll likely get a tiny gap in between the bezel and body of the light when you screw the bezel back on. But Gene did mention years ago that the gap is supposed to be there.

FiveMega used to have some sweet LED drop-ins that left no gap. My custom modded SureFire 9P has one of those in it. But I don't believe he makes LED drop-ins anymore for older SureFire lights.

Many of the better LED drop-ins for SF lights have pretty much fallen off of the face of the planet. There just isn't that much demand for them nowadays.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I have some P60L's still in the package. I wish there was a NEWER warm tinted HCRI drop-in out there like that where you have no bezel gap, but about the only place that has produced anything like that is Surefire with the P60L. I was pondering what gasket to use in order to bridge the gap, but haven't looked into it. It's mostly a cosmetic issue as the head should still be fairly water resistant as the thread gasket is still there. Nowadays LED's are far more efficient and there isn't as much of a heat issue, so I really wish someone would produce a 3.6V-7.4V P60L type drop-in around the 100-200 lumens range with a warm emitter and HCRI. A 3V primary battery drainer version would be nice too!

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey @ampdude ... Lumens Factory has some that might be pretty close to meeting your list of criteria above

I did have a Lumens Factory LED when they first came out back in 2008. It went bad and didn't fit my criteria and Mark handled it for me. Can you link me by PM to a LF LED drop in that is like what I described where the head can turn all the way down with no gap? I would appreciate it. I would be willing to sacrifice a couple P60L's to Mark if he can engineer them to have a medium output, warm, HCRI led. I understand the P60L design is not conducive to heat issues, but I think with modern LED technology there can be a really nice output with a setup like that.

Last edited:

R.W.D.

Enlightened
I've been buying up some P60s for my SF 6PLED and the reason is because I never appreciated that crappy led drop in that SF made so now its just an incan for me.

I've been buying incandescent everything everywhere and people are either happy to get rid of them or really confused and try to explain that "there are led flashlights now that are better on batteries" obviously I know but I don't tell them because they all say something different 🤣🤣

I have been carrying and using my SF 6PLED daily now unless I swap it for my incandescent ASP Triad which is a much more interesting light imo.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Can you link me by PM to a LF LED drop in that is like what I described where the head can turn all the way down with no gap? I would appreciate it....

Sorry, I don't have a link handy. A websearch might work though, based on the info in my post.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks archimedes, I'll check into it. Just bought a couple HID's, and I do love my Malkoff's, and have too many of those, so I'll see what I can do to get one of those.

Last edited:

325addict

Enlightened
I have 3 C2 Centurions and 2 C3 Centurions, all running P90s. The one that sees use most, at work, has been there since... forever (more than 10 years I think) and EVERYBODY in the company uses it. Powered from 2X AW 17500s. You won't believe it: still on its FIRST P90 LA!! Its glass enelope is pitch black like the night and indeed, compared to a fresh one, gives less light, but hey, for the close-up work we use it for, still plenty of light. Never expected it to last that long, so I bought 6 pieces of brand new P90s long ago. Now that they have been discontinued, I'll treat them like small treasures ;-)

Latest posts