surefire E2D LED Defender vrs Olight M20 Warrior PREMIUM

Fooboy

Enlightened
I measured my new E2DL just a few minutes ago. and the big news is

:eek::eek::eek: 210 lumens at turn on and still 203 lumens after a full minute plus warm up, on high. :eek::eek::eek:

8.1 lumens on low.

That's going to make a lot of SureFire Believers very happy I guess. I can't say that I blame them. It is what it is.

I was shocked to see it but since I own it I can't complain.

I lost a small gentlemanly wager over this one :ohgeez: so its literally costing me to publish the truth (not that I wouldn't) Just goes further to the shock factor. Its far better than advertised at 120 lumens. I am guessing that E2DL sales are going to go up, since it is in the 200 lumen class. More power to them. Time for breakfast.

Gman, I give you a lot of credit for publishing that. I know you're not exactly a huge surefire fanboy so I know it must have been a little painful ... but I appreciate your objectiveness.

:D

N/Apower

Enlightened
Gman, I give you a lot of credit for publishing that. I know you're not exactly a huge surefire fanboy so I know it must have been a little painful ... but I appreciate your objectiveness.

Yep, he even lost a bet doing it. +1 to being a stand-up individual!

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
MrGman is a real asset to the CPF Community :thumbsup:

And yet I get no scotch, pizza, or barbequed catfish :whistle: :shrug:

And I'm still 6 feet tall no matter what my feelings are about Surefire lights. :D

rumack

Enlightened

The same thing crossed my mind when I read the result of the E2DL testing. Kudos to you MrGman! Your efforts, and truthfulness, are much appreciated. I admit to being a Surefire fan but there are several other brands I have my eye on once I am employed again. Being an out of work flashaholic is no fun.

DHart - thanks for the tip and the great pics. I have thought about checking out an M30 setup. I see you have the same E1B setup as I do, with the Z68 tailcap. It makes all the difference to me. I know the style of the E1B is smooth for a reason but it's a little too smooth for me. The tailcap makes it much better for my use. As for whether I really need the additional power of the E2DL, well, I have to admit that for some lighting applications I fall victim to the "more is better" line of thought. I tend to feel that way about horsepower, too. :D

Once my finances improve I have also considered checking on a Milky mod for my E2DL. I don't remember reading about any Milky E2DL's but it sounded like a good idea to me.

seattlite

Enlightened
It would seem a good idea to test a few more examples to see whether one is an over-performer, or the other is an under-performer. Or in fact whether these two are representative of the range and the 'normal' performance output is somewhere between the two.

I have both a one level E2DL Head and a KX2C. I don't have the sophisticated measurement equipment as the gman, but I do have a light meter and a "box". My un-scientific measurements of both heads resulted in the KX2C having 20% more light output than the E2DL head. Both lights were using the same brand of 3.7V RCR123's and I switched the paired cells and re-measured.

The KX2C seems to be a whiter than the warmer E2DL.

rumack

Enlightened
I have both a one level E2DL Head and a KX2C. I don't have the sophisticated measurement equipment as the gman, but I do have a light meter and a "box". My un-scientific measurements of both heads resulted in the KX2C having 20% more light output than the E2DL head. Both lights were using the same brand of 3.7V RCR123's and I switched the paired cells and re-measured.

The KX2C seems to be a whiter than the warmer E2DL.

I have considered picking up a KX2C head as a solution to my lack of love for the crenelated bezel of the E2DL. I wish it unscrewed like the M20's. The KX2C and the single stage E2DL use identical LEDs and optics, correct? I don't have the technical knowledge of LEDs that others here possess but I am very surprised at the variance that exists within LEDs of a given type, both with output and tint. I think LED lighting is exciting but the LED lottery is very annoying. Unless you're a winner like MrGman with his E2DL. :twothumbs

And I'm still 6 feet tall no matter what my feelings are about Surefire lights. :D

Hmm, I wonder if part of my fondness for Surefire lights is to compensate for my lack of height? :crackup:

All this talk of food - pizza, BBQ catfish, and especially the BBQ salmon from the "Actual Lumens" thread - is making me very hungry. Do we have a recipes section here? :D

N/Apower

Enlightened

Yeah, I thought I was 5'11 until it was proven to me that I am really 5'10.5". :crazy: