Surefire G2X Pro REVIEW

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
BugoutBoys,

While it may be fun with advanced multimode super low to superbright models I really agree with these words. Sometimes I really want the simple. Not over powered lights demanding special high drain cells and still can't be runned for more than some minute due to over heating. The simple with no doubt about what mode is on which I often experience with multimode lights when the levels are pretty close.

This exactly is the appeal of the G2X and the rest of Surefire dual mode lights. Some guys don't like 'click through' UI's, but when there's only two modes, it makes for a very simple interface. I even have my Haiku programmed to mimic the Surefire low/high UI.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I have had a G2X Pro for some years now and just got the 600 lumen one and thought that I would point out that the color of the tint is cooler on my new 600 lumen one. I really like the 2 mode interface on the Pro. I need to be able to change modes with one hand while at work. I wish more lights came that way.

matt4350

Enlightened
I have had a G2X Pro for some years now and just got the 600 lumen one and thought that I would point out that the color of the tint is cooler on my new 600 lumen one. I really like the 2 mode interface on the Pro. I need to be able to change modes with one hand while at work. I wish more lights came that way.

I've been after the 600 lumen version for a little while, still can't buy them in Australia and nobody will ship them here. Am I missing out on much? What's your thoughts between the two, side-by-side?

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now Going Gear sale of Surefire G2X Pro 320lm — $45 each. Use code: "surefire". Foliage green and tan left 5 each color.

Last edited:

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
Unless you need the extra lumens for something, I am not sure there is any difference, other than that and on mine, the older one has a warmer tint.

matt4350

Enlightened
I eventually got the 600lm version, unfortunately it's got the green beam. My older 320 is my preference based on that alone, and I've found the difference in output hardly worth the effort. Never hurts to have another Surefire about though....

rrego

Enlightened
I just got in this week a newer 600L model and I like the tint on this 600L more than the 320L model with the LED on the golden color plate. That versin is too cool for my liking, where as the 600L model I got is in between the warm-er "Nichia" 320L light and the newer 320L model.

Preference:
320L G2X Pro ("Nichia"?)
600L G2X Pro
320L G2X Pro (gold color behind LED)

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
I just got in this week a newer 600L model and I like the tint on this 600L more than the 320L model with the LED on the golden color plate. That versin is too cool for my liking, where as the 600L model I got is in between the warm-er "Nichia" 320L light and the newer 320L model.

Preference:
320L G2X Pro ("Nichia"?)
600L G2X Pro
320L G2X Pro (gold color behind LED)

yeah I actually really dig the 600L version. It has a broader beam too which I like

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I suppose if I'd never tried a G2x Pro my first would be the 600 lumen model. I tried the 320 model when it was the brightest available model and have no reason to try the newer version as the 320 model shines pretty dawg gone close to the brightness of lights rated at twice the output. Excellent throw to spill blend and the low setting starting out is a great output for fuel sipping while being plenty bright for general uses. It was one of the great ones at the time it was produced.

I may get around to trying the 600 lumen version someday yet I never felt like the previous model needed any improvement. So there is no hurry. My first one was tan and it still has the batteries it came with. If I only had one they'd probably be depleted by now but there's 8 scattered about my home and except for the yellow one they rarely get used beyond the low setting.

To this user the SureFire G2x Pro was/is one of their greatest lights ever.

Gonzo789

Newly Enlightened
I have the maxvision version and I am very very pleased with it. The throw at night is incredible!

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ugh... I'm so sick of "upgrades" where the only thing that seems to matter anymore to manufacturers and the market is lumen numbers. I have the 320 lumen G2X pro and it has a pretty nice neutral beam. But after watching reviews for the "upgraded" version that is 600 lumens or so many people seem to be getting samples with cooler and (gulp) more greenish tinted beams. Why.... just why.... In practice there isn't that big of a visual leap from 300 to 600 lumens anyway.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ugh... I'm so sick of "upgrades" where the only thing that seems to matter anymore to manufacturers and the market is lumen numbers. I have the 320 lumen G2X pro and it has a pretty nice neutral beam. But after watching reviews for the "upgraded" version that is 600 lumens or so many people seem to be getting samples with cooler and (gulp) more greenish tinted beams. Why.... just why.... In practice there isn't that big of a visual leap from 300 to 600 lumens anyway.

You are right. And because of the lumen race the increased output with updated models often is not proportional to the difference of the LED efficiency, so the light will be warmer and runtime will be shorter before stepdown. Therefore 320lm version is a good choice!

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly why I have stuck to my G2X-LE 400 lumen variant.

It has all I would ask for from a G2X: nice flat output without stepdown, hi mode first, enough throw for my needs, long running low mode(which has a floodier and IMHO more useful beam than the 320 lumen low mode), light weight, tough.
Only thing I added was a Raven concealment systems clip.

LastStarfighter

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I had had one of the original G2Xs (200 lm). I'm considering picking up one of the brighter versions as an upgrade now. Does anyone know if the 600lm version has a step down? 52h on low sounds good to me and that's partly why I'm considering the upgrade just as much as the higher high.

Use is for for an outdoor light, low for general utility and high when needing to see further but if the 600lm drops down to say 200 after a minute or so I'm not sure I'm going to bother with it. Am hoping Surefire don't play that "turbo" game.

matt4350

Enlightened
Rookiedaddy did a test, there's a graph somewhere in the G2X/6PX thread. On 16650 it was still at 80% output after 20 minutes, and more than 60% at an hour. So it's pretty good. I would still take the 320 lumen version though, just my preference.

LastStarfighter

Newly Enlightened
I know Rookiedaddy from the Brightside forums we used to be on.

Did the 320lm version all use Nichia LEDs? I didn't see that officially anywhere at the time but I've read that they do on these forums. I've never heard of Surefire using what seems to be an enthusiast LED.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The 320 is still one of my favorite flashlights. The Mrs and I share a tan one bought in 2015 that still has the batteries it came with. It gets used on low 99% of times dozens of times a year for a couple of minutes at a time.

My yellow version travels with me in a work truck and gets used on high mostly. It easily competes with lights touting 2x+ the output. I think I ended up buying 8 or 10 alltogether a few years back (before fakes started showing up.)

Last edited:

matt4350

Enlightened
I know Rookiedaddy from the Brightside forums we used to be on.

Did the 320lm version all use Nichia LEDs? I didn't see that officially anywhere at the time but I've read that they do on these forums. I've never heard of Surefire using what seems to be an enthusiast LED.

rrego posted above that there seems to be 2 versions, with the older being Nichia. I recall this was mentioned in another thread too.

LastStarfighter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the answers. I received my G2X Pro 600lm version today. Now to wait until dark to see how it performs...

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
You are right. And because of the lumen race the increased output with updated models often is not proportional to the difference of the LED efficiency, so the light will be warmer and runtime will be shorter before stepdown. Therefore 320lm version is a good choice!
The 320 is fantastic! I have several of them still. I'd say the biggest difference between the 320 and the 600 is just the size of the hotspot. The hotspot of the 600lm version is about 2 - 2.5x larger than the 320. I like it because it's just simply more situational awareness, but I also think the 320 has good benefits too. Like a 320 I think would be better in my flight bag as it has the longer runtime on high so an emergency situation may be better with it. The 600 is my daily carry because of the wider FOV.

My yellow version travels with me in a work truck and gets used on high mostly. It easily competes with lights touting 2x+ the output. I think I ended up buying 8 or 10 alltogether a few years back (before fakes started showing up.)

When I first got the G2X (320lm) I was EDCing a Nitecore P12. Somehow the G2X seemed VERY comparable to the P12's 1,000 lumens. Surefire's beam profile is really just fantastic. It's smooth and well balanced. It definitely looks like more than 320.

Last edited: