Surefire L4, 120 lumens improved version

1996alnl

Enlightened
1996alnl -The 2009 KL4 120 lumen head will not run on a single CR123. It will, however run very well on a single RCR123. I use a battery station RCR123 with their charger. Battery Station claims that these cells come off the charger at 4.2v. I run a Vital Gear FB1 HA body with the SF KL4 head and the anodizing matches perfectly. Pocket rocket!

Well that's good to know;
So the newer version will work with a 17670 cell then, for the extra runtime.

Awsome..

munchs

Newly Enlightened
1996alnl -The 2009 KL4 120 lumen head will not run on a single CR123. It will, however run very well on a single RCR123. I use a battery station RCR123 with their charger. Battery Station claims that these cells come off the charger at 4.2v. I run a Vital Gear FB1 HA body with the SF KL4 head and the anodizing matches perfectly. Pocket rocket!

That's a good info.
Then is there any advantage of having a newer version L4 over old version with Lux5w other than it having a more efficient led?

I have an old version MC-E moded. It's an awesome flashlight. It's runs on all battery variations including 3v primaries with an output the same as the original's! ofcourse, when using 3.7litium cell, it's about 3 times brighter!!!:faint:
It seems to me that the old version has a better circuit then...?:thinking:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
That's a good info.
Then is there any advantage of having a newer version L4 over old version with Lux5w other than it having a more efficient led?

I have an old version MC-E moded. It's an awesome flashlight. It's runs on all battery variations including 3v primaries with an output the same as the original's! ofcourse, when using 3.7litium cell, it's about 3 times brighter!!!:faint:
It seems to me that the old version has a better circuit then...?:thinking:

The older KL4 head (L4) using a constant current boost circuit and if your MC-E is configured like the Lux V was then it will work very fairly effeciently with one RCR123, and not so with one CR123. The newest L4's use a buck circuit.

BTW, invest in a reasonably priced DMM so you can really keep tabs on your LiIon cells.

Bill

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little late to this party. I just got the latest KL4 and I'm really impressed. It still puts out a lot of spill. But it also has a really fat hotspot. It still fills a room with the proverbial "wall of light" IMHO. And it still comes in a very compact package. It maintains its pedigree, flood, room filling flood. The perfect complement for the KX2C.

Twice the runtime and half the heat, whats not to love? I have retired my LuxV...

madmax718

Newly Enlightened
So now that it uses a Buck circuit, can you use LiPO rechargable 123's with it?

steve68

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for bringing up this old thread, but maybe there is somebody out there who can help me.

Sine I have received my L4 - I love it. Small, very powerfull and the formfactor is very nice. BUT sometimes it is much to bright for my purpose. Sometimes I switch it to the body of my LX2 -
and it works with an low level which is perfect for me.
But I would prefer to keep it on the L4 Body (it`s smaller).

My question: Do you know a switch which I could easily change by myself - to get two levels ? And where could I order this ?

Many regards from Germany

Steve