Surefire L4, 120 lumens improved version

Chao

Enlightened
This is 2009, 120 lumens Surefire L4, it is the improved version, I think only the LED and circuit changed; besides, it looks exactly same as the previous version.
L4120-1.jpg

L4120-4.jpg
L4120-1.jpg

This New L4 has a SSC emitter installed, and there is a "B" printed on the head ahead the serial number.

Lux reading: 3750 lux

Beamshots: Old (100 lum) vs. New (120 lum)

5m: left, 100 lum L4; right, 120 lum L4
L45m.jpg
L4120-5m.jpg

10m: left, 100 lum L4; right, 120 lum L4
L410m.jpg
L4120-10m.jpg

Some observations:
Output: surefire still under estimated the output of this new L4, judged from the ceiling bounce test, the total output was identical to E2DL.

Beam: the beam pattern is very nice, very smooth with noticeable hotspot, and brighter wide spill. No artificial ring, no donut. Although the throw is improved in this new L4, I would think it's still the wall of light.

Tint: Mine looks like cool white, if compared to other lights with warmer tint, it looks a little purplish, I like this tint, and at least it is not greenish.

Runtime: 120 vs. 100 lumens
2009L4runtime.jpg
l4runtime.jpg

The runtime has also been improved in this 120 lum version, however, the performance of using 14650 is not well, so the TW4 setup still works, jut not as bright as using two primary cells.

This new L4 has a great improvement compared to the previous version in output, beam pattern, and runtime. It has a nice flood beam combined with decent throw, this is good for either indoors or outdoors. However, if SF can make a 2-stages version, that would be better, at least, for me:).

This new L4 also been well discussed in this thread, https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/218892

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Moved to reviews.

I don't see no left and right ... just ne runtime graph and one each beamshots. Something wrong with th epics or did I understand something wrong?

BTW ... got mine, too, and I think it lost some of its floodiness, but the beam is still not throwy and quite bright.

bernie

Chao

Enlightened
oops, sorry for that, I made some changes of the figures, hope its clear now.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yes, now they show. Thanx !

Great runtime there. I like it.

Although my KL4A has the "B" instead of and not in addition to the "A" letter.

I admti though that I would heva preferred the light to retain the flood character it had. Not that it is a bad light like that, but it has a more pronounced spot.

bernie

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh!!

I was going to buy an L4 in the next few weeks due to the "wall of light" tag it has.

When I saw the 120 lumens improved performance I figured it would be just as floody but brighter.

Anyway anyone can give some outdoor beamshots comparing the flood of the two? So I can see if I need to find a used one or if this new one is still pretty floody.

The hallway beamshot didn't help because it wasn't open, but from what I could tell it still has as much side spill with a brighter hotspot, is this an accurate description?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
It gets warm but not hot as the old model. Think E2DL. As the runtime is similar, output and heat should be, too, on a theoretical level.

I think the important positive factor is the significant increase in runtime and reduction of heat as well as brighter output. The beam pattern is not the same as it was, but it is still a very attractive general purpose beam.

IMHO they should have renamed the light to avoid confusion. But that is just me.

It is a very simple light, like the old one. On and off. I like that.

Chao

Enlightened
Anyway anyone can give some outdoor beamshots comparing the flood of the two? So I can see if I need to find a used one or if this new one is still pretty floody.

The hallway beamshot didn't help because it wasn't open, but from what I could tell it still has as much side spill with a brighter hotspot, is this an accurate description?

I found a thread has L4 outdoor beamshot that showed the nice floody, though its 100 lumens versions. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211633

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the comparison review Chao, very useful. :thumbsup:

The use of the SSC makes sense for a general purpose beam. My old LuxV L2 still sits in my desk drawer, but doesn't see much action anymore (like the flood, but not the heat or donut hole).

henry1960

Enlightened
How would this new L4 2009 compare to the E2D?

Is the new L4 2009 Brighter and more throw then the E2D?
Thanks, Henry

Chao

Enlightened
How would this new L4 2009 compare to the E2D?

Is the new L4 2009 Brighter and more throw then the E2D?
Thanks, Henry

This 120 lumens L4 is brighter than the E2D with MN03 lamp, and also has more throw in my test (L4 3750 lux, E2D 2400 lux)
E2E10m.jpg
L4120-10m.jpg

1996alnl

Enlightened
If this new L4 has the same light output on a ceiling bounce test as a E2DL then is it safe to say it's a 200 lumen light?

Chao

Enlightened
If this new L4 has the same light output on a ceiling bounce test as a E2DL then is it safe to say it's a 200 lumen light?
I am not sure whether my E2DL has 200 lumens, just know they have same output in my celiling bounch test.

Any heat issues? One reason I never got an L4 was the excessive heat.

I ran my old and this new L4 together, and after 7 min, the old L4 was getting hot as expected, the new L4 was just warm.

1996alnl

Enlightened
Chao, MrGman tested a E2DL in a lab sphere awhile back and it put out just over 200 actual lumens.
This light is a real powerhouse.

Go to the LED light section. The thread is stickied on the top with all his results.