Surefire MN03 vs Surefire P60

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I though for sure when I did a search for this tons of compairsons would come up, but compairsons seem to be a bit sketchy, and ones that I do find the opionions seem to be mixed. I'm guessing the P60 is going to win on throw, due to the larger reflector, but can any owners out there comment on how these 2 lamps stack up in overall output, whitness and brightness over their respective runtime? The surefire E2E seems to be a great EDC light, much better than any surefire that uses the P60 (6P, C2, M2, etc) and I am wondering how the MN03 holds up against the larger p60, and what sacrafices are made, if any, having the much smaller MN03.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you already mentioned the main differences between the two lamps, a hair more output and tighter throw with the P60, but about 10 minutes longer runtime with the MN03. If the difference in beam doesn't matter much to you, then it comes down to the form factor and what you prefer. If you plan to leave both lights stock and use primaries, I would vote for the E2e. If you want more options down the road, go for a P60 host.

Edit: I was just looking at your list of lights. You already own a couple P60 hosts. The E2e will not perform as well as your A2, but will have longer runtime. What specifically are you looking for in your next purchase?

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you already mentioned the main differences between the two lamps, a hair more output and tighter throw with the P60, but about 10 minutes longer runtime with the MN03. If the difference in beam doesn't matter much to you, then it comes down to the form factor and what you prefer. If you plan to leave both lights stock and use primaries, I would vote for the E2e. If you want more options down the road, go for a P60 host.

Edit: I was just looking at your list of lights. You already own a couple P60 hosts. The E2e will not perform as well as your A2, but will have longer runtime. What specifically are you looking for in your next purchase?

Thanks for the reply. I really like the small form factor of the E2E, just looking for a small EDC incan. Yes the light will be kept stock, only run with primaries, with maybe a lumensfactory lamp later on down the road, maybe. Yes I know it won't perform as well as my new A2, but I won't be expecting it to.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do pick up an E2e, try out the MN02 as well since you are using primaries. 2.5 hours of runtime and very usable output for most tasks. :thumbsup:

mdocod

Flashaholic
I think perhaps the most important contrast between the P60 and the MN03 has to do with the reflector shape and size. The E2E's reflector is very shallow, this results in more lumens escaping as spill light producing a wider spill beam angle than most other lights. The light energy that becomes part of that very wide spill beam is not reflected into the central beam, so the ratio of lumens and where they are is different. While the total number of lumens emitted is different, this is not really of any importance since they are very similar and the eyes can't tell the difference between such a small variation.

The small filament size of the MN03 means that the central beam size isn't actually much different than a P60, in some of my testing, I'd actually say that the E2E has a tighter central beam, but that depends on how you measure and where you call the cut-off of where the beam really is (all textured reflectors have that transition region from spill to beam that is soft). Since a lower percentage of the light emitted by the bulb is in the central beam with the MN03, it likely will not throw as well in actual use.

Eric

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok guys, so we have established that the P60 throws farther, how does the brightness over the life of the batteries compair? I read a post from way back where size15's said he thought the MN03 was whiter brighter longer, does anyone agree? Here's the link https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/122493

If you read this size15's, do you still feel this way or has your opinion changed over the years?

NE450No2

Enlightened
When ever I leave my place, or go out doors after dark, I carry at least 2 lights. My normal EDC pair is a white LED A2 with the LF HO bulb, and an E1e, also with the LF Ho bulb.

For EDC carry 100% of the time when I am at my place I find the size and "power" of the E1e perfect.

I am constantly amazed at how many times a day I use it.

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a good time to get into the E series, with new XPG LED modules being produced. Sure it's not the wide open market that is the P60 host, but if you're willing, you can make a very versatile light right now.

Also, my thoughts on MN02 vs. MN03: MN02 has a hotspot very reminiscent of the P60. Tight spot, intense center. MN03 in my experience puts out a broad, even hotspot that's extremely useful from about 5 feet to 30, with diminishing results from there on out. The diffuser will tame any of the three bulbs for close work quite nicely, also.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hello ebow86,

It would make sense for the MN03 to maintain brightness a bit more evenly through the discharge compared to a P60 because it draws slightly less power. The cells can likely maintain a more constant voltage through that discharge.

Also, since the runtime is just slightly longer, if you ran them side by side, obviously the P60 would wind up dropping off first, so the impression of stabler output may also come from the simple fact that it runs longer.

Eric