Surefire Optimus

ArkAngel

Newly Enlightened
It's as irritating as hell, I have lost count at the amount of times I have seen a new or updated Surefire model only for it not to materialise.:mecry:

I have come to look on their catalogue as "Things we may get round to building at some point":sigh:

Only my L4 is still standard. Everything else has been upgraded, normally with Malkoff stuff.
How he can build lights of that quality and output compared to the stupidly low LED "upgrades":candle: Surefire have been offering over the last year or so beggers belief.

At one point when it comes to flashlights you could cut me in two and you would see Surefire running through the middle of me, i would not consider buying anything else.

Now until they decide to make a quantum leap in output, and design they are going have to work VERY hard to make me part with my hard earned money.:rant:

KROMATICS

Enlightened
It's as irritating as hell, I have lost count at the amount of times I have seen a new or updated Surefire model only for it not to materialise.:mecry:

I have come to look on their catalogue as "Things we may get round to building at some point":sigh:

Indeed. The UA2 and UB2 were featured in the 2008 catalog. 2008! Then the UA2 vanished and a UB3 was featured in the 2009 catalog. Now we are heading into 2010 and still nothing. That's pretty bad.

o0o

Enlightened
So disapointed to see the Optimus cancelled.

The current U2 IMO is a bit under whelming -- I have 3 of them and they are great, but the output needs to be improved on high.

Here is what I would like to see

A new U2 using the top LED available, with six settings (no useless fluff like strobe or SOS). Keep the textured reflector for beam quality and balance (throw vs. flood)

Only have six settings like the current U2, but use an LED that can crank out serious lumens on high.

Setting 1: 2 lumens (great for close up in pitch darkness, run time should be incredible)
Setting 2: 12 lumens (great for navigating inside a building, should run a long time)
Setting 3: 30 lumens (Very good output for walking a dog, with plenty of runtime)
Setting 4: 80 lumens (at the low end of tactical, still should provide some runtime)
Setting 5: 160 lumens (serious output for outdoor work)
Setting 6: 300 lumens (massive output, with limited runtime)

Use 3 123 batteries to allow longer runtimes per setting.

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current U2 IMO is a bit under whelming -- I have 3 of them and they are great, but the output needs to be improved on high.

Same here, I am giving one of the three U2's NIB to my brother-in-law who is a blue water ship captain but I'm almost apologetic about the anemic, by today's standards, output.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Same here, I am giving one of the three U2's NIB to my brother-in-law who is a blue water ship captain but I'm almost apologetic about the anemic, by today's standards, output.

It's anemic by flashaholic standards. For the average i.e. non-flashaholic user who has never used a high-end flashlight, it will probably be one of the brightest flashlights they have ever held. :naughty:

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had an Optimus on order at BatteryJunction forever. When I saw this threat, I emailed them for an update and to ask if they were going to give refunds. No reply.

DM51

Flashaholic
I've had an Optimus on order at BatteryJunction forever. When I saw this threat, I emailed them for an update and to ask if they were going to give refunds. No reply.
The Optimus project was offically cancelled a while ago, as post #1 above says.

You say you asked BJ about a refund - did you pay them in advance?

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, DM51. I called them up, and they said they just got confirmation and will be emailing buyers. I asked for a refund, and they said they'd send a check in the mail.

I'm disappointed in Surefire for not keeping in better contact with its dealers.