SureFire P1R Peacekeeper rechargeable flashlight

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am eager for your review too, Robin24K.:-D
Thorough and concise, and the graphs are my favorite. I'd expect the curve on this one to be similar to the Fury as well. 18650 is exciting though, no more lathe!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
DNS still hasn't fully propagated, so try again in a bit if this doesn't load:

P1R_Runtime.png

TheVat26

Enlightened
Robin, per your preliminary test, it gets 20 minutes of bright light, with an hour and a half of 350+ lumens (still bright) then another 15 minutes of warning to change/recharge? I am so glad I ordered this light because that was exactly the requirements I was looking for. And that's just with the 2600mah. A 3100 or 3400 is going to be much better. Even the cr123 curve is excellent.

Pardon my ignorance, but does this light (on lith ion) give the most power it can dependent on the amount of voltage in the cell? Doesn't look like a forced step down and it looks more efficient than the Fury on cr123 and 18650. A lot of lumen pushers give 850+, then force step down, giving an unrealistic indicator how much runtime you will actually get. So I got the tactical version and max output, max output, max output will plot like this? My XT11 has significantly shorter life on a similar cell when used in max only durations.

Hope or I didn't repeat myself but this seems like the ideal light for LEO duty use considering size, interface, runtime, and brightness. Robin thanks for putting this up!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's 10 minutes to 95% on lithium-ion and 5 minutes to 95% on lithium primary. You'll get plenty of warning before it turns off (2h 19min), and both versions of the P1R will behave similarly.

The step-down is forced/programmed, so if you use it in bursts, total runtime will be less. I haven't tested it yet, but if the battery is partially drained, it still should have the same runtime curve.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the forced step down related to a temp sensor on the driver? It's not a deal breaker on the light for me.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will it bounce back to full output each time if only used for short runs?

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums
Surefire claimed a two seconds reset timing on this. Bummer! When they offered a one second reset timing on the E1DL, I was overjoyed and it quickly became my favorite Surefire flashlight. After taking a step forward with the E1DL, they took a step back with the P1R. The video posted above very clearly shows that the light still came on in low output after about a second from off.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you wait at least a few seconds between runs (need to let the memory drain), it will go back to full output or as much as the battery allows.

Surefire claimed a two seconds reset timing on this. Bummer! When they offered a one second reset timing on the E1DL, I was overjoyed and it quickly became my favorite Surefire flashlight. After taking a step forward with the E1DL, they took a step back with the P1R. The video posted above very clearly shows that the light still came on in low output after about a second from off.
I think he was referring to resetting the step-down, not changing the output level. Regardless, the reset time for changing output levels is a little bit longer than one second.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he was referring to resetting the step-down, not changing the output level. Regardless, the reset time for changing output levels is a little bit longer than one second.
Oh yes! My bad! Now that you mentioned, I realized that I had totally misunderstood the question.

TheVat26

Enlightened
I'm excited and a little bummed when my P1R Tactical arrived today.
I'm excited that the beam is beautiful. The throw seems pretty good and the spill is huge. The knurling is just the right texture, and the finish is flawless.

I'm bummed that there are a few things that are kinda cheap feeling. The charger is nothing fancy; my nitecore I2 seems like a luxury peice in comparison. The battery wrap seems a little flimsy and doesn't sit flush with the while body in some parts. It won't get caught on anything, but my Eagletac 3100's look and feel more robust, especially at the + button top. The body threads are not nearly as crisp as my old 6P's. They are very gritty, kinda sharp like on Solarforce hosts.
The twisty tailcap is a HUGE disappointment. It works great in constant on. However, unlike the 6P, there is no "right spot" that you can freely momentary press as a signal. I tried mm after mm of different loose spots and near every time after I would release from momentary, it would flicker, or seem to remain on at about 1/4 power. The travel of the switch is very very very short and requires A LOT of pressure to activate. I have been using it for about 5 minutes and my thumb is a little sore. The spring connecting to the negative of the battery has a little nub that is also tearing into the battery terminal. There a large gouge in the rear of my battery, and I'm not going to use it anymore. Don't know his thick it is there. My Eagletac's work just fine so I will stick with those. Why wasn't it bent upwards from the factory?

I will use this more tonight. The good news is the Malkoff clicky works like a dream on the P1R.
Cliff notes: Be very careful with the twisty as it will tear a hole in the rear of the battery and the threads in the tailcap feel like they are lined with sand.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
KIF, thanks for the mini-review - it's great to see your thoughts on the P1R.

TheVat26, great comments as well. Those little things that you pointed out are what I was looking to hear as well. Just one question: you mentioned you used the Malkoff clicky - so the threas matched?

I was pretty pumped to hear about this light but now I'm wondering if small things like the tailcap may be a bit of a deal-breaker. I'd be curious to hear from those who bought the two-stage version and their thoughts on the tailcap.

TheVat26

Enlightened
RGB, yes the Malkoff tailcap is a perfect fit. I was debating getting the Z59, but don't know if the finish would match. The MD tailcap anodizing is a close match, and even the knurling is nearly the same pattern.

I dont know know how surefire did it, but the throw (100 yards) is very strong with a very wide hotspot. The Surefire promo video shows the beam as super floody with blue hues, but it's not like that in person. At 25 yards it looks about 8-10 yards wide and it swells the farther you go and maintains that punch with such a crisp clarity. The tint isn't quite nuetral, just brilliant white with a slight touch of green. I didn't notice it until others have pointed it out. I got mine for $175 and although expensive, I think its worth it, basic charger and all.
*Another reason why I like the Malkoff tailcap? Tail stand. Mclicky. Malkoff warranty. Will lock out. I haven't had a chance to use the Malkoff clip or the darksucks clip but there is just enough of a gap for it to work.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is good to have such small but important details. Makes it clearer to someone who is thinking of getting it. Thx TheVat26!

Appletz

Newly Enlightened
The twisty tailcap is a HUGE disappointment. It works great in constant on. However, unlike the 6P, there is no "right spot" that you can freely momentary press as a signal. I tried mm after mm of different loose spots and near every time after I would release from momentary, it would flicker, or seem to remain on at about 1/4 power. The travel of the switch is very very very short and requires A LOT of pressure to activate. I have been using it for about 5 minutes and my thumb is a little sore. The spring connecting to the negative of the battery has a little nub that is also tearing into the battery terminal. There a large gouge in the rear of my battery, and I'm not going to use it anymore. Don't know his thick it is there. My Eagletac's work just fine so I will stick with those. Why wasn't it bent upwards from the factory?

I definitely agree regarding the tactical switch. It's very stiff and I have to basically white knuckle the light to get it to operate consistently. After a week of use I'm adjusting to it but I wish it was a tad more forgiving. I otherwise like the light a lot. The spill is impressive.

Is the Z59 surefire tail confirmed to work with the P1R? Debating that or the Malkoff... I do like that you can tailstand the Malkoff.