Surefire Stratum

watchcollector1968

Newly Enlightened
Do you think the high output is underestimated or not?

Im not sure. I went outside some more last nights and compared it again against my Back and Fenix TK12-R2.

The TK12 is rated at 240 lumens (dont know if it actually reaches that or not). The throw on it is pretty good and the spill is not bad. Still, the Stratum throws at least as good lighting up and object just as well if not a little better. The Stratum spill is IMO far better than the TK12.

So is the total output of the Stratum (rated 160 on high) greater than the Fenix (rated 240)? Seems that way to my very amateur eyes. IMO the Surefire is under rated and the Fenix a bit over rated.

I intend to do a review tonight complete with outdoor beamshots...will toss the Backup and TK12 in for comparison.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm getting weak but I can't unscrew the Stratum head from the body :green: or maybe S/F just doesn't want you to :ironic:. I also just received a new 6PL with the 120 head and of course that easily twists right off but the led module is not loose, I didn't want to force and break something but 52.00 for an extra head sounds reasonable.

Woah, when did the P60L get bumped?

KX4? That's new.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So do you guys think these will eventually replace the 6P/9P bodies? Looks like an evolved 6P...

I hope not.

The 6P and Stratum are designed for different lighting chores. Sometimes you need high-mode first.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he meant the grip/body design and not just the entire flashlight.

-Trevor

sfca

Enlightened
Maybe I'm getting weak but I can't unscrew the Stratum head from the body :green: or maybe S/F just doesn't want you to :ironic:. I also just received a new 6PL with the 120 head and of course that easily twists right off but the led module is not loose, I didn't want to force and break something but 52.00 for an extra head sounds reasonable.

Pics?
popcorn.gif

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a great looking light. I haven't read a lot about this light yet. Is the threads compatible with the E2DL and others.

Thanks

Bill

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
You got me on that. I should have checked the specs before posting. For some reason I thought it had a similar interface to the E2DL. Speaking of the E2DL, there you go :p

It also uses a externally redesigned Z41, not a clicky. Just for your information :thumbsup:

Rocketman

Enlightened
You got me on that. I should have checked the specs before posting. For some reason I thought it had a similar interface to the E2DL. Speaking of the E2DL, there you go :p

The E2DL is for someone who likes the Surefire optic and wants a low-high light. I want a reflector and 3-4 modes in a light that does not have that attack bezel. A Stratum, yes. There might be a LEO who also likes the Stratum but needs it for tactical use. In that case, the (theoretical) tactical Stratum would be just right.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read what you wrote here previously and when I bought my Stratum today I was not at all surprised that I could not unscrew the bezel from the body. On closer inspection there seems to be some whitish stuff just under the bezel. Epoxy? Potting material? Not sure what it is but I figure Surefire don't really want the head dismantled so that we could swap between Z2-S and Stratum, or maybe even the new G2L?

Overall very nice light. I am impressed that the beam is a little yellowish, more towards the neutral white category rather than a cool white. It somehow reminds me of a semblance to an Osram energy saving lamp. I kind of like the color as I use my lights mainly for outdoor purposes. I just wish it was even warmer than that.

I never actually thought that I would be buying the Stratum as I hated the 3 clicks UI but as I was playing with it in the shop I was sort of surprised at how easy it was to change the modes. Typical trait of Surefire, simple and practical UI. It doesn't really take a rocket scientist to figure out how to use this light and there is no learning curve involved at all.

Admittedly, I would still prefer the LX2, A2, AZ2 kind of UI but with a preference for an additional medium mode. Well, I am not complaining. I love all my Surefires and the LX2 is still hard to beat despite it almost having been with me for coming to a year.

Although Surefire is reputed to manufacture tactical lights, the Stratum is by not intended for that purpose. It is just a very practical utility light suitable for camping usage or for use in a bug-out-bag.

Last edited: