Surefire TITAN

nitrox1

Newly Enlightened
Hi Don,
Make and model of the 1/4 20 ball bearing swivel camera stud you have in your photo #2 please. I need 2 of those studs.

Thank you in advance.

John

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
My Titan arrived yesterday. Cool light!

I noticed for a while mine seemed to have a dead spot or something interupting the potentiometer as I'd get a flash of bright down in the very low level area. It seemed to flash more often when I was ramping down and I was able to center the switch on the spot and have bright light in the realm of the low light settings. This activity seems to have stopped now that I have cycled the switch a few times. I would guess this is just part of breaking it in.

The light works just as expected and easy to operate.

I wanted to keep the light as much titanium as possible so I replaced the stock clip and split rings with titanium ones:

Titan-Ti-Clip.jpg

I really like the 1/4-20 thread in the tail of this light and the utility this can provide! :thumbsup: I expect for the most part, the light will be hosted on a web coil tether that has a ball bearing swivel with camera stud:

Titan-Web-Coil.jpg

With the tether clipped in a loop as shown, you can wear it comfortably on your neck, around your waist or doubled up on your wrist.

I will be using the Titan in my shop as well thanks to the 1/4"-20 mount:

Titan-Lathe-Light.jpg

I didn't let the jewelery box packaging (which immediately went in the trash) confuse my thinking on what I consider this light to be about. :D

It's a user!

EDIT: I just put up a swivel wall mount between the kitchen and shallow stairwell to the garage/ shop and this is where I will "store" the Titan:

wall-mount.jpg

Sweet! Will you be modding it to your specs? :)

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be using the Titan in my shop as well thanks to the 1/4"-20 mount:

Titan-Lathe-Light.jpg

Now this is a good photo:twothumbs

Is that the 'Coolant Proof' version, of the Titan? :nana:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Mine also has intermittently exhibited 1-2 bright flashes in the first ~20 degrees of turn on. After a week it is happening less frequently.

Who will be first to depress the 3 spring-loaded pins and pull/twist? :devil:

Larry

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
I think I saw somewhere that PSM was going to get an X-ray pic done of his, to see if that gave any clue how to take it apart. It should also show up exactly what parts are where inside it, where the Ti casing is thickest etc.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I think I saw somewhere that PSM was going to get an X-ray pic done of his, to see if that gave any clue how to take it apart. It should also show up exactly what parts are where inside it, where the Ti casing is thickest etc.

I X-rayed it yesterday, but I lost my camera at a halloween party, therefore I cant post pics.... :ohgeez:

The titan looks interesting under X-ray.... :cool:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Nitrox1,

Those swivels were a custom order I made with Sampo a few years back. Cetacea used them in the web coil tethers I designed and which they make. I believe you can find them loose at BerkeleyPoint and possibly the shoppe. The 1/4"x20 stud is longer than necessary and that's why I put the fat O-ring on it. You could also add a second jam nut if you wanted to.

EVAN_TAD,

Thanks for getting the light for me and no need to mod! This thing is just as one would hope, right out of the box!

TB,

I use a mister when necessary and I have also got into using TRICO Tri-Cool micro dispensing coolant that I drop out of a syringe as deemed necessary (I didn't go for the full system). The Hardinge has the coolant pump and system which does work but danged if I am willing to put up with the mess!! :green:

Regardless, the Titan can handle the wet work I am certain! No worries about corrosion; I wish the rest of the tools could make the same boast!!

The small size and diameter of the Titan will allow it to be positioned close to the Z axis without being in the way. I can twist the head on to desired level without upseting the lights position as held by the Noga dial indicator stand. If one were to design a light specifically for this application it might end up very much like the Titan.

If an aluminum version is done and has the same tail mount feature, I would love to add a pair of them on Noga's to my stereo microscope!! :thumbsup:

Here's the Noga I would use:

OnNoga.jpg

For a low tech solution:

LocLineStock.jpg

I have been a proponent if not an originator for the 1/4x20 mount on a flashlight since day one. I did mods to some Inova lights a few years back and here is a light that has the mount as standard. Thanks PK!!

The beauty, IMHO, with the Titan system is you could have the light say hanging around your neck or on a lanyard in your pocket and when you need hands free and mounted, you unsnap the light from the lanyard cap and just screw it on where needed. Quick, easy and secure. Too Cool!! :thumbsup:

Larry,
Is that what those are? I didn't look closely but assumed those to be stake points. I like your take better than mine!

David,
That is a solid carbide boreing bar and its shank gets larger with flats for clamping at the base which you can't see in the picture.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent use of the Titan, Don :D Nice to see how people are using their Titans.

Regards,
Tempest

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice light everyone!
Really like the 1/4-20 post mount and how Don has mounted the light in various places. Have a Mediterranean running an CR123 body mounted on a magnet/clamp mounted line-loc adapter as a small "shop light". Good to see something as limited as the Titan won't be a shelf queen but actually used/abused.
Any news if any more CR2 lights are planned coming out of SF in the future? My dream is a Titan-like work light using one A123 Systems M1 nano-phosphate battery. Although I won't be getting a Titan, that technology will trickle down to other models eventually so I look towards the future.

If anyone gets tired of theirs and wants it used in a good home, I'll adopt and keep it fed regularly.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
MIne arrived today.
I was exicited about this light 10 months ago. I can remember wehn I would loose sleep in antisipation of a new arrival...like a ti PD from don.
I had no such feelings about the Titan.

Now that it is here I am pleased to have it. I love it's potiential utility. Especially as demonstrated by Don.

I was hoping for smoother operation. Mine is still a littel rough amd my initial experience seems to mirror others out here with a bit of a dead area at the beginning of the twist. this same area is not dead when potting Down.

As is true of ALL of my previous Titanium flashlights it requires a bit of breakin.
I wish I could see a place to lube it. I would stick some of that stuff that comes in a needle syringe...the super lube? I just haven;t figured where to put it yet.
Maybe the three holes?

My TITAN definatly warms up when used on high for more than 5 or 10 minutes.
The beam quality is very good the hot spot has very smooth transition to to the side spill.
the tint is on the cool side. NIce and white.

Time will tell on this light.
So far I like it.
Yaesumofo

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must have had the luck of the draw!! No dead spots in mine (trust me.. I tried like hell)

The "dial" was tight at first but by turning it a little bit it smoothed right now. #347 has been good to me :)

MIne arrived today.
I was exicited about this light 10 months ago. I can remember wehn I would loose sleep in antisipation of a new arrival...like a ti PD from don.
I had no such feelings about the Titan.

Now that it is here I am pleased to have it. I love it's potiential utility. Especially as demonstrated by Don.

I was hoping for smoother operation. Mine is still a littel rough amd my initial experience seems to mirror others out here with a bit of a dead area at the beginning of the twist. this same area is not dead when potting Down.

As is true of ALL of my previous Titanium flashlights it requires a bit of breakin.
I wish I could see a place to lube it. I would stick some of that stuff that comes in a needle syringe...the super lube? I just haven;t figured where to put it yet.
Maybe the three holes?

My TITAN definatly warms up when used on high for more than 5 or 10 minutes.
The beam quality is very good the hot spot has very smooth transition to to the side spill.
the tint is on the cool side. NIce and white.

Time will tell on this light.
So far I like it.
Yaesumofo

Telkin

Enlightened
I just got mine #317 and other than some small gripes with it I'm in love and can't EDC anything else at the Moment.

The Detent pin on my Lanyard attachment has already fallen out completely. Doesn't look like there was anything at all to hold it in there but a bit of friction? Surprisingly though, it's an improvment. I now no longer need to align the detent pin when attaching the lanyard and it's secure enough that it will not disconnect without the detent pin.

Second gripe is that there seems to be a paint blemish maybe 3mm long near the gap of the rotating bezel and the body. Very noticeable under most lighting conditions.

That being said, this UI on this light is amazing. I had a bit of grittiness but it has gotten much smoother. Maybe I missed this but I'm suprised no one mentioned how gentle it is on the eyes. Not only the beam perfect but because you can turn on the light slowly, your eyes are not shock adjusted from dark adaptation to bright. The smooth ramping of lumens is a wonder to my eyes when I'm looking forward. First darkness then some light but not enough to tell colour, then colour fades in then finally full and even illumination. I know this sounds really primitive but I've never had this simple experience with any of my lights. A "soft-start" for my eyes. Would some Titan owners please back me up on this? :wave:

I love the tint as well. I like a warmer tint when used outside but for EDC's I prefer a slightly cool tint for use indoors which is perfect on the Titan. Only very slightly blueish/redish.

I can't put my Titan Down! I don't use the lanyard attachment too often though because I haven't found a suitable lanyard configuration though Don seems to have some great ideas I can't replicate at the moment...

Here's mine #317 on a Joby Gorillapod:

DSCF2376.jpg

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Several times, I've heard references to a "dead-spot". At first, I thought you folks were referring to an area (once the light is on) that you would not get an increase in brightness while continuing to turn. Now, I'm thinking you're referring to the area at the beginning where you must turn a bit, then the light start coming on. I actually like that feature and would not want the light to start as soon as I started cranking. It acts as a bit of a safetly feature, whereas if the bezels turns (from the off position) just a tad, it would engage. Of my (2) Titan, one is a bit more hair-trigger than the other, meaning on my EDC there more of a "dead" area of turning before getting that first little glow of light.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
My Titan is on its way back to SF for repair. :(

Besides the grinding and hard resistance (which I described in an earlier post), the light started flashing more and more, when you turned it on and off - to the point where it could be turned all the way off, and it would still flash if you touched the head.

So we'll see what they have to say about it! :shrug:

john

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Well, I dont have a camera, but I made my IT guy find a way to get the digitized image to my E-mail. :naughty:

It worked! :twothumbs

Here ya go, the long awaited X-ray of my Titan! :p

(I nailed the technique on the first try!)

TitanXray.png

nitrox1

Newly Enlightened
My Titan is on its way back to SF for repair. :(

Besides the grinding and hard resistance (which I described in an earlier post), the light started flashing more and more, when you turned it on and off - to the point where it could be turned all the way off, and it would still flash if you touched the head.

So we'll see what they have to say about it! :shrug:

john

Ditto, just got an RA# for mine today. As you turn on the light, any rearward pressure on the bezel would kill the light. Replaced the battery and still does it. It's very intermitant though. Sometimes light won't even turn on at all from off to high power. Other times you can't make it fail no matter how you twist or push it. I'm getting the flashes too when turning on, and has to do with when the light cuts out, then powers back up you get the flash.

Surefire was very nice on the phone and immediately issued an RA#. Hopefully it's fixable or replaceable. If they can't eliminate the issue for me, my dealer is getting it back.

No rant, just reporting my situation.

John...

Latest posts