Surefire U2 Ultra or Leupold MX331

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I would like to see some lux meter readings on the Leupold lights, also some real lumen test results, or at least some good bounce with lightmeter results, comparing readings to other lights. We are sure that it is made in the USA, not the LED maybe, but the bulk of the light?

Bill

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a quick ceiling bounce test of the MX-231 (80 lumens), E1B (80 lumens), Ra-85-Tr (85 lumens) and E2DL (120 lumens).

The MX-231, E1B and Ra-85-Tr all measured the same, and the E2DL measured about 60% more. Nothing unexpected.

iapyx

Enlightened
Short,

As you may have noticed I had never heard of the brand Leupold and therefore had a look at their lights.

If you want a light that's waterproof - like you said - then the Leupold is a very good light. It's not a diving light but it's waterproof till 4 atm.

However you are doubting between a U2A and a MX331.
The U2A is a flood light. The MX331 is - if I am correct - a light with a focused beam.

Both lights seem fantastic to me. I think you could use them both. One for flood and the other for throw.

I am doubting seriously to get an MX431 next to my U2A. Just wish it had a little more lumen.

One thing speaks in favor for the Leupold: you can buy all parts separately. If they come with a head with more lumen you don't have to buy a whole new flashlight.

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2A is a flood light. The MX331 is - if I am correct - a light with a focused beam.
The MX-200, -300 and -400 heads all appear to use the same reflector, and the beam is fairly floody. From the beam pictures I've seen, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the U2A (with the bigger reflector) out throws the Leupolds and the Leupolds produce the floodier beams.

One thing speaks in favor for the Leupold: you can buy all parts separately.
Unfortunately, buying the pieces a la carte gets very expensive.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daniel,

Thanks for taking the time to look at the e-bay pics from the link I posted. I would have reneged if someone here said that the light might be a fake. That said, I could still reneg, and purchase the Leupold MX331 from an approved online dealer like B&H photo - it would be here in two days.

What I don't get is that this seller has been selling surefire in volume, I saw a Titan T1A go for 168 (looks like they were BIN's at 168 - hello 8% microsoft cash back on those). Like I said, I won the U2 for 200 including shipping. How on earth can they sell these brand new lights for so cheap. The seller just answered a question I had about the U2 - assuring me it was a real 2009 version. Seller said it was new in box, the box still has the factory cellophane wrapping.

I may have to just buy this

I don't have a MX331. But I do own a SF U2A. It's a time-proven design, I think the first SF U2 was sold in about 2005 (well at least this review is from April 2005). You can always get SF flashlights quite cheaper than MSRP but not directly from stores - because SF prohibits discounts. I bought my new U2A at about the same price as on the auction.
I like the simple UI - no complicated menus or memory modes, all my friends understand the basic operation after few seconds. It has insane long runtimes on the lower levels.
The only thing I don't like is that the newer U2A has a bit more concentrated beam, it's good if you want to see something in the distance but not so well if you are shining just in front if your feet. But not such a big issue, you can get a FM64 diffuser (I have one on the way to me from USA).
About the waterproofness - it will survive any sort of rain and I would be pretty confident to use it up to 1 meter water depth. But it's not designed for diving of course (why would you use this for diving anyway :)). As long as you keep the o-rings well lubed, no water will enter the flashlight.
Btw. I don't see a clip on the MX331? U2 has a clip...
The lowest level on the MX331 has 10 lumens and 65 hours, SF U2 has 3 lumens and 175 hours and even this lowest setting is actually too much for me (night adapted eyes) for reading.

According to the website, MX331- "Runs on three CR-123A batteries (included)." Three? Well U2 uses two. I am a bit surprised that it actually takes three, the battery tube doesn't look that long...

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the website, MX331- "Runs on three CR-123A batteries (included)." Three? Well U2 uses two. I am a bit surprised that it actually takes three, the battery tube doesn't look that long...
It runs on three CR123As because it uses the MX-030 body tube. If you opt for the MX-020 body tube (which would make it an MX-321), it runs on two cells. And it's worth mentioning, the MX-331 will run just fine on 2x 17500 Li-ions.

And, yes, both the MX-030 and -020 body tubes have removable clips.

if anyone is interested there is a very good review on a german forum:

http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?t=68842
That's the best collection of pictures I've seen to date.

Wish I could read German.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
It runs on three CR123As because it uses the MX-030 body tube. If you opt for the MX-020 body tube (which would make it an MX-321), it runs on two cells. And it's worth mentioning, the MX-331 will run just fine on 2x 17500 Li-ions.

And, yes, both the MX-030 and -020 body tubes have removable clips.

That's the best collection of pictures I've seen to date.

Wish I could read German.

Use google translate http://translate.google.com/translate_t#

Bill

iapyx

Enlightened
if anyone is interested there is a very good review on a german forum:

http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?t=68842

regards Olaf

funny!!!

they are currently 6 guests in the old thread i've postet. so it seems that you all has follow my invitation :D

The MX-200, -300 and -400 heads all appear to use the same reflector, and the beam is fairly floody. From the beam pictures I've seen, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the U2A (with the bigger reflector) out throws the Leupolds and the Leupolds produce the floodier beams.

Unfortunately, buying the pieces a la carte gets very expensive.

Thanks Scarbear for the fantastic link. Luckily I can read German well. So I was one of the 6 guests you noticed there. I was using my wives iPhone late in the evening and it's a bit hard replying without a keyboard :)
Good to see the Leupolds have removable clips.

And gswitter, thank you too.
Thanks for reducing my enthusiasm. :)
More serious: I'd love to see a shoot out between a U2A and a Leupold MX-431 or MX-331. Beamshots too. Images would be nice. I really have no clue what beam the Leupolds produce.

I will definitely follow this thread and both SF and Leupold.

Last edited:

short

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a MX331. But I do own a SF U2A. It's a time-proven design, I think the first SF U2 was sold in about 2005 (well at least this review is from April 2005). You can always get SF flashlights quite cheaper than MSRP but not directly from stores - because SF prohibits discounts. I bought my new U2A at about the same price as on the auction.
I like the simple UI - no complicated menus or memory modes, all my friends understand the basic operation after few seconds. It has insane long runtimes on the lower levels.
The only thing I don't like is that the newer U2A has a bit more concentrated beam, it's good if you want to see something in the distance but not so well if you are shining just in front if your feet. But not such a big issue, you can get a FM64 diffuser (I have one on the way to me from USA).
About the waterproofness - it will survive any sort of rain and I would be pretty confident to use it up to 1 meter water depth. But it's not designed for diving of course (why would you use this for diving anyway :)). As long as you keep the o-rings well lubed, no water will enter the flashlight.
Btw. I don't see a clip on the MX331? U2 has a clip...
The lowest level on the MX331 has 10 lumens and 65 hours, SF U2 has 3 lumens and 175 hours and even this lowest setting is actually too much for me (night adapted eyes) for reading.

I just received my Surefire U2 Ultra. I purchased new off the internet for $200 as discussed earlier. I have one question for all you people who have the surefire. When I twist the selector to change power settings, there is no click, just a smooth turn. Should there be clicks, or some sort of tactile feel as the light changes from one power setting to another?

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my Surefire U2 Ultra. I purchased new off the internet for $200 as discussed earlier. I have one question for all you people who have the surefire. When I twist the selector to change power settings, there is no click, just a smooth turn. Should there be clicks, or some sort of tactile feel as the light changes from one power setting to another?
No clicks. It's a magnetic selector (just a plastic ring arround the flashlight with a magnet inside), pretty bomb-proof :).

short

Newly Enlightened
No clicks. It's a magnetic selector (just a plastic ring arround the flashlight with a magnet inside), pretty bomb-proof :).

Thanks everyone, I have been outside checking this light out. Awesome. I ordered 72 surefire batteries from the company. This on top of the 12 batteries when I purchased my first light, which was a Titan. I like the titan so much that I purchased another for my wife, off e-bay this time, for $150.

I am glad I purchased the titan factory direct, I compared the factory direct light to the one I purchased (new) off e-bay and there is no difference. I now have three sure fires and 84 extra surefire batteries. The batteries are stamped good thru August 2018.

Hopefully 84 extra batteries will be a good enough SHTF stash. Would anyone care comment on how many spare 123A batteries they have? Thanks for the input

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Ugh, Short, I maybe have four fresh CR123's, and maybe 20 or so that read below 3.23 volts, but above 3 volts, cause I have tried them out with different lights that I own. Not much of a CR123 guy, though one of my light, a Mr Bulk VIP. is used exclusively with a CR123 on low that lasts forever..... Now if I had a SF Titan I would be buying some more CR123's.

My U2 is the older Lux V model that is setup for an 18650, and I use that light all of the time. Just one excellent light.

Bill

iapyx

Enlightened

Short, did you get an older (U2) or a new(U2A) version? The newer version runs for 175 hours on low. Older versions might have a donut hole which is not a big issue though. Some older models accept rechargeable batteries since the body is wide enough. Some older models have a plastic insert which is removalbe although it takes a little bit of effort. Rechageable cells are a bit thicker.

I have both a U2 and a U2A. The U2 (older) had a plastic insert which I removed. The bodies are exchangeable.

Selector rings: no clicks at all.
Awesome light.

I have about 14 spare cells (primaries) and three rechargeable cells (AW 18650 and AW 17670 if I am correct)

short

Newly Enlightened
Short, did you get an older (U2) or a new(U2A) version? The newer version runs for 175 hours on low. Older versions might have a donut hole which is not a big issue though. Some older models accept rechargeable batteries since the body is wide enough. Some older models have a plastic insert which is removalbe although it takes a little bit of effort. Rechageable cells are a bit thicker.

I have both a U2 and a U2A. The U2 (older) had a plastic insert which I removed. The bodies are exchangeable.

Selector rings: no clicks at all.
Awesome light.

I have about 14 spare cells (primaries) and three rechargeable cells (AW 18650 and AW 17670 if I am correct)

I have the newer light - the package says 175 hours on low. Also, the branding on the light itself says:

Digital 2 Ultra

The "2" is surrounded by a white spot in the shape of a "U" - this looks EXACTY like the picture from the surefire website.

The battery chamber is too light to fit anything other than the factory surefire batteries. And I know these batteries (which came with the flashlight) are real as I have 12 batteries purchased factory direct that look exactly the same.

If this was the old Lux V, how could I look at it to determine if it is really the newer SSC. I am a newbie and don't know the diff between an HID light and a christmas light...

And my 84 battery stash is simply my poop hits the fan insurance policy. Would you suggest I pick up another package of 72 batteries from the factory? I would then have 156 batteries to power my three surefire lights. This stash would be useful if the grid went down for say, one year or more. Perhaps the next terrorist strike will be at the power grid. Didn't parts of Kentucky loose power for a month last winter, all because of a mid strength wind storm?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
And my 84 battery stash is simply my poop hits the fan insurance policy. Would you suggest I pick up another package of 72 batteries from the factory?
I'd give it a few months and see how quickly you actually consume them. I'm only a third of the way through the 100-pack I bought two or three years ago, and a number of my regularly-used lights now use rechargeables.

steveG

Enlightened
I picked up a a few rechargeables and save my primaries for when I need run time. I haven't needed a primary in months....