Surefire UA2 Optimus Will you OPtimize?

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a LEO/flashoholic the UA2 is very interesting. It has several features that I like/need. 1. Adjustable from spot to flood, 2. Variable output, 3. Last but not least a strobe/sos with a traffic cone should work for traffic control. Bottom line is I am going to get one and try it out if nothing else.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still not sure about the U2A. Pretty much here's what I see (beyond the obvious stuff that always comes with the surefire label):
1) Potentially very nice focus feature :cool:
2) Ring selection for 6 levels plus strobe and SOS :thinking:
3) Same old boring SSC or maybe cree emitter that everyone else uses :sigh: ...
unless of course they have the first batch of the rumored P4 V-bins :naughty:
4) Un-18650 friendly body tube :thumbsdow
5) Bezel up or down pocket clip (iirc) :twothumbs

I could be wrong on a couple of these, but this is what I think I've figured out. This is a mixed bag for me. I'm slightly more interested in the UB2 with the SSC P7, but as those won't see the light of day till Q3 maybe there will be many P7 lights to choose from.
I really wish I could get off the fence on these because my rear end is starting to ache.

ginaz

Enlightened
i'd like a fourth V, variable input. a light that won't accept rechargeables has limited appeal to me.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without a doubt I'll be getting a UA2. Too cool not to get one. 2V is enough for me - 3V would of course be nice, but it won't put me off buying what is shaping up to be SureFire's flagship model.

Regards,
Tempest

Delta

Enlightened
i'd like a fourth V, variable input. a light that won't accept rechargeables has limited appeal to me.

I'm surprised noone said that sooner. Seeing how thats a lot more doable than V#3, Variable input should be the 3rd one. Variable wavelength is just not as important, IMO.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this torch is a HUGE step towards 3V. I'll be as happy as I was when I received my first surefire (E1L) and just as amazed with the features etc.

IMHO (no no no.. no fanboy... real opinion lol) Surefire never really misses with a product. If one believe it to be a miss, they have probably just chosen the incorrect torch for the need/job.

:)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah! You should have been at PK's CPF Party at the SHOT Show...

The three fundamental variables of a light beam:
1) Variable light output (quantity)
2) Variable beam focus (intensity)
3) Variable light wavelength (colour)

It can be considered that the 'Ultimate Flashlights' will be a single flashlight that has the ability to sufficiently vary all three variables (3V) in an ergonomic and task-orientated way.

Al

HAHAHA I just LOL at the memory of PK standing on the cooler drunkenly shouting this out to us like we were a bunch of recalcitrant schoolchildren. :)

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
A very appealing offering from Surefire. A must have as far as I am concerned. It is a bit big though. About the size of an L5. We need an E1 sized version as well.:naughty:

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
It all depends when Invictus will be available, I want 400 Lumens for my next purchase over 200. I will need a new light no later then August this year, so I`ll take whats available of these two models. :thumbsup:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
:D
Ah! You should have been at PK's CPF Party at the SHOT Show...

The three fundamental variables of a light beam:
1) Variable light output (quantity)
2) Variable beam focus (intensity)
3) Variable light wavelength (colour)

It can be considered that the 'Ultimate Flashlights' will be a single flashlight that has the ability to sufficiently vary all three variables (3V) in an ergonomic and task-orientated way.

Al

And I thought you were talking about 3 volt and 2 volts. Silly me......:shrug:

2 out of three ain't bad :D

Alright was you at the show lefty, or not.

Bill

Last edited:

iapyx

Enlightened
The U2 is the one and only Surefire that I own.
It's simply fantastic. But I've always been keen on a U2 upgrade.

The UA2: I have one pre-ordered and it's already been payed for.
Now 200 lumen and focusable. I am really very curious what the tight beam looks like.

Although I have my doubts about the focusing/smooth beam combination.
[Therefore the UB2 is on my wish-list]

I just hope that there will be a way to use rechargeables in the UA2. That would make it perfect for me.

iapyx

PS. compared to the U2, that a lot of us own, the UA2 is only 50% brighter (if I understand correctly from another thread 200 lumen is only 50% brighter to the eye). Therefore the UB2 with 400 lumen, thus twice as bright as my U2, is on my wish-list.

Last edited:

dandruff

Enlightened
i want one for sure but i cant quite justify spending $280. in the end who knows. my girlfriend just spent $2700 on a FREAKING HANDBAG (no special occasion, she just felt like buying a handbag)so maybe i wont feel so bad investing 1/10th on a piece of REAL technology!!!!!!!! her handbag collection can send me to flashaholic/gadgetgeek nirvana and back about 50 times. (you can tell i am a bit sore)

not to be a wet blanket, but how long do you think it will take for the likes of fenix to come up with something comparable?