Surefire UA2 Optimus Will you OPtimize?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
not to be a wet blanket, but how long do you think it will take for the likes of fenix to come up with something comparable?

so how many regulated incan/LED hybrid or selector ring lights are there now after all these years since A2 and U2 came out? Heck, how many true two stage switches has there been since the first L2/A2/L1 came out?

it's easy to make a tube, toss in a multi-click UI LE and a clickie tail cap with an enormous reflector. The rest, well, requires serious R&D. Your wet blanket needs more water.

keysandslots

Newly Enlightened
I'll probably end up with a UA2 (and a UB2) but considering the price, I'll wait until the second round. I want to see some reviews, let the early adopters (who know quite a bit more than I do about all of this) have their say first.

Randy

Wattnot

Enlightened
I can't wait to see beamshots of the focus range. I sure hope it's noticable, unlike the Wolf Eyes Fox.

Too bad the Invictus isn't going to be focusable.

MicroE

Enlightened
I am looking forward to the UA2's release and I already paid for one.
I guess I can give it the third V by using different color plastic wraps!

Last edited:

cyberpunk

Newly Enlightened
While I understand why some do, I couldn't possibly pre-order something like this light, and I would certainly never pre-pay for one, before they are available.

Having said that - I'm in. This light promises to throw down the gauntlet on the entire high-end "illumination tool" industry. If SureFire is counting - consider me one more committed customer for this light, once it ships!

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I have never quite pulled the trigger on a SF because I have always tried to find lights to meet my needs and wants that were either customs or the off brands. I had to make a few flashlight purchases before I learned more of the differences between SF and other lights. It wasn't until I made a new friend whom collects SF that I realized how much smaller, lighter, tougher, and better made they were. And even though I have wanted many of them, I managed to resist them until now. The UA2 is going to be my first SF, and I have already sold off my old card collection to pay for it (and a few others :naughty:). I believe it will be the light of choice for many outings, though I will still bring my multi-level incan sometimes...and EDCs of course...what do you expect, I'm a flashaholic.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the first time I was "attracted" to Surefire was because of the THREADS. From all the lights I have seen they have the best THREADS. I have had lights that would crossthread or are a pain to screw on, sometimes taking multiple times to get it to screw on right.

frank777

Enlightened
I am a real fan of my U2. The new ones look great and have some nice features, but with strobe and SOS, that's a deal breaker.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I have not bought a light since the news of the UA2 broke at SHOT. For two reasons: one - need to save some cash for it since I did expect it in the $300 range, two - all others of late have had limited interest to me in terms of upgrade over my existing collection.

I did not pre-order one being in Canada, I travel frequently to the US so I hope to find one in stock somewhere soon after they come out. We do not usually see stuff locally for 6ish months once it comes out.

I think it will be too big to EDC ( I find my L2 too long ) so it will be a 'kit' carry light for me probably replacing my M3T, so I want to see a few reviews first. I will probably get a UB2 as well, just 'cause....

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I called SF the other day and they said projected release would be end of this year.

Unfortunate, but I'm sure most people expected similar!

Tachikoma

Enlightened
Have you asked for the UB2 release date also? I've heard that it'll be released before the UA2 so...

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been watching out the UA2 and UB2 (optimus and invictus) developments from the start. I think I also started one of the first (though not the first :)) threads on these trying to find out as much as possible.

I will continue to watch and especially focus on (he, he!) reviews of it once it comes out. It will be interesting to see how this focusability feature works. Personally I need to be convinced it is a valuable feature, since I just put in diffusers on flashlights with throw if I want to change the beam characteristic. But it'll certainly be interesting to see what Surefire does with it.

As to buying one...almost surely not. The price is very high, and the benefits do not add up to it. The 200 lumens sounded great when the UA2 specs were first heard about, but now its ho-hum. (I count 4 flashlights in my collection already that match or surpass that--no, make that 5).

If technically things work out, it will still be great, as the features will migrate down the food chain to cheaper flashlights. At that point, it may be worth getting them (together with yet more upgraded LEDs, better runtime...the usual).

Last edited:

AOBRICK

Newly Enlightened
I think I'm gonna resist and wait for next gen lights I've got all my needs filled and still out shine everyone in my circle. So I'll just be over here paitently pretending I don't want one.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yes, I think it will mark the high end production light revolution and set a pace that all others will be judged by. It's expensive but I also think it will be worth every penny. Many of the things that I enjoy about high end custom lights are many of the same things that I'll enjoy and appreciate about the UA2. I've really been pleased with the latest offerings from SF but I believe the UA2 is a significant step up from anything we've seen in a long time. Although it may be some time before I'm holding one in my hand, judging from all I've read, the UA2 could be the answer to the age old question, "If you could only have one light...........?"

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll probably buy a Ub2 just because of the output and UI but it's a bit big and probably wont see much use.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UA2 looks like an awesome light. I can't wait to see beam shots and hear feedback about it. If all looks good I might consider one as a Christmas gift, assuming it is available by this Christmas. :)

The feature I'd be most excited about is the spot to flood focusing. I can't wait to see some LUX readings for the spot to see how well it can throw with 200 lumens coming out the front of those optics.