T20C2 MKII XM-L T6... 700 Lumens?

mrlysle

Enlightened
I understand the different viewpoints about flat-top vs. button-top cells. I also understand the warranty issue. What I don't understand, is a manufacturer trying to force you to use their brand of batteries. I have HDS lights that I can use any brand of battery I want too in it. None of my Zebralights force me to use a specific brand or type of battery. (I'm not referring to voltage limitation issues here). Surefire doesn't make me buy Surefire branded 123's for their lights to work. I just wish if a manufacturer decides to make a light that uses 18650's, they make the light to use whatever cells you have on hand, or have a particular liking to. The button top vs. flat top thing should be a non issue. If someone doesn't pay enough attention to the way he/she is inserting the dang battery and fries the circuit because of reverse polarity, tough crap. Send it back, get it repaired, and watch what your doing next time. Ok, rant off here also. :shrug:

recDNA

Flashaholic
'
The New XM-L LED 2.1amp Circuit delivers 4 levels of output - 720 Lumen TURBO "BOOST" for three minutes, then drops to 1.5a/550 Lumen standard TURBO - GENERAL Mode is 105 Lumen, and LOW is 12 Lumen. (Switching light off/on will reset TURBO Boost Mode)

This is how the first one should have been anyway. I am upset that I bought the first XML drop-in and then this comes out.

Do you know if it is strictly time or heat that determines the drop in output?

In the illuminwtiongear website there are nice beamshots of each model. Is there any way to line up one model next to another in the website or do I have to download the pics and then compare? What were the camera settings?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lebox97

Enlightened
LOL, no dealer or manufacturer I work with REQUIRES or otherwise FORCES you to use a particular brand of cell - where did I/we say that? :huh:
We merely believe we have a cell almost as good as the "best" ones - for half the price. Don't want to save money - don't buy them.

recDNA:
the circuit is timed AFAIK, not temp/thermister related.
Lumen output is pretty straight forward - XM-L driven at 2.1amps = XXX emitter lumens... who want to do the math for us??? (I am bad at math)
Deduct 20% SWAG for LED OTF conversion-averages...

I don't believe ET has a history of overstating the lumen output since they started producing lights 3ish years ago? They have built a strong reputation for driving the LED brighter/harder than others - though at sacrifice of shorter runtimes when compared to the competition.

The side-by-side pics are taken with same camera and all camera auto settings switched to off. But even then the LED tints etc sometimes seems to skew things - so the best I can do is offer "close" to real/what I see with my eye as possible. (I have a Minolta Colormeter that goes haywire with LED tint for some reason - bouncing around up to 2k - so gave up on that idea)
I am working on something that will allow the models to be re-sorted/compared as desired - please stand by...

Cheers
Tod

I understand the different viewpoints about flat-top vs. button-top cells. I also understand the warranty issue. What I don't understand, is a manufacturer trying to force you to use their brand of batteries. I have HDS lights that I can use any brand of battery I want too in it. None of my Zebralights force me to use a specific brand or type of battery. (I'm not referring to voltage limitation issues here). Surefire doesn't make me buy Surefire branded 123's for their lights to work. I just wish if a manufacturer decides to make a light that uses 18650's, they make the light to use whatever cells you have on hand, or have a particular liking to. The button top vs. flat top thing should be a non issue. If someone doesn't pay enough attention to the way he/she is inserting the dang battery and fries the circuit because of reverse polarity, tough crap. Send it back, get it repaired, and watch what your doing next time. Ok, rant off here also. :shrug:

srfreddy

Enlightened
I'm off to the Cree datasheets, brb! They kinda advertise, SEVEN HUNDRED LUMENS!!!! FOR 1.2 HOURS ANSI!!! P.S. ANSI lumens are 500. :rolleyes:

srfreddy

Enlightened
Yep, emmiter lumens are 705 ish lumens, OTF at turnon probably around 530 (I use 75%). ANSI, well then, after 30 seconds, there will be quite some heat buildup, so efficiency of LED goes down, so I'd say around 460 ANSI lumens. Hm... I thought ANSI was at 3 minutes though.

belomeclone

Enlightened
Can you charge flat-topped cells with Cottonpicker's Charger? I will need some eventually and will be charging them via that charger.

Why would anyone not want the highest capacity cell possible?

mrlysle

Enlightened
LOL, no dealer or manufacturer I work with REQUIRES or otherwise FORCES you to use a particular brand of cell - where did I/we say that? :huh:
We merely believe we have a cell almost as good as the "best" ones - for half the price. Don't want to save money - don't buy them.

Tod. I was actually referring to an earlier post where it was suggested that you should use EagleTac batteries in EagleTac products and I have a bad habit of opening my mouth to change feet. I really do wish that a light meant to take 18650's would allow either type to be used. BTW, the T20C2 MK II that I have, and an XR-E module, and a neutral white module, I just bought of off you in the last couple weeks. Oh, and my Zebralight SC60w came from you in the last few weeks. I also have the new XM-L module on pre-order from you as well, so even when I rant about something, I'll still buy it if I like it. I really like my T20C2, I just would have preferred it not to require button tops because I don't have any. And maybe I'll try a couple of the EagleTac cells as well. Like I said, I should have worded my griping a little better.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best button top batteries you can buy at the moment are the Redilasts... I have a few of them, as well as a bunch of AW's and some Ultrafires, and can definitely tell you these are the most consistent and seemingly well made of the bunch. And as a bonus you can get them direct from our own CPF member. And yes, they fit perfectly in my T20C2Mk2:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...ttery-sales!-High-quality-Made-in-Japan-Korea!

And his website:

http://tacticalhid.info/

Careful my Redilast batteries don't work in my T20C2 MKII because of the reverse battery protection, I wish they did but I use the Eagletac 18650's in it and they have worked well for me for the past year.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Careful my Redilast batteries don't work in my T20C2 MKII because of the reverse battery protection, I wish they did but I use the Eagletac 18650's in it and they have worked well for me for the past year.

I don't understand why they won't work, can you please explain this? Thanks,

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The positive battery contact on the T20C2 MKII uses a plastic ring around it to prevent the large surface of the negative side of a battery from connecting, even though the Redilast is technically a button top the button has a large surface area thus preventing it from making contact with the T20's positive contact.

HooNz

Enlightened
Hi , when will the drop-in be available? iv'e looked about for a hour or so and only seen complete Torch's .

I want one of these drop-ins!

It might even reach out to the XR-E R2 yet with more light/flood? .
Paul

HooNz

Enlightened
I'll still buy it if I like it. I really like my T20C2, I just would have preferred it not to require button tops because I don't have any. And maybe I'll try a couple of the EagleTac cells as well. Like I said, I should have worded my griping a little better.

Use a very sharp blade to put a slice just in one spot across the plastic ring on the spring on the head , then gently peel it off , that way one can slip it back on if you need to at a later date = any battery top type , or the VERY quick solder blob for a button , or small magnets or buy button tops , plenty of choices to be had . cheers , Paul

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new versions with the specs that say 720 lumen (580 ANSI) has not arrived at any dealer that I know of yet but there suppose to start shipping from the dealer sometime this week. You can pre-order them from Eagletac-usa and IllluminationGear to name a couple.

This is the new model not to be confused with the first XM-L version- http://www.eagletac-usa.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-3-6981

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bad HoonZ I misread your post and linked you to the pre-order for the complete light, the only place that I know of that has the drop-in available for pre-order is IlluminationGear.

You can find the drop-in pre-order at the bottom of this page listed as 720 lumen. This is just one example I'm using I don't know if anyone else has the drop-in on their site for pre-order I don't see it on eagletac-usa but maybe some other spots I have not seen yet.

http://illuminationgear.com/14322/26992.html

Chrisdm

Enlightened
The positive battery contact on the T20C2 MKII uses a plastic ring around it to prevent the large surface of the negative side of a battery from connecting, even though the Redilast is technically a button top the button has a large surface area thus preventing it from making contact with the T20's positive contact.

Thanks for that, I didn't now.

HooNz

Enlightened
My bad HoonZ I misread your post and linked you to the pre-order for the complete light, the only place that I know of that has the drop-in available for pre-order is IlluminationGear.

You can find the drop-in pre-order at the bottom of this page listed as 720 lumen. This is just one example I'm using I don't know if anyone else has the drop-in on their site for pre-order I don't see it on eagletac-usa but maybe some other spots I have not seen yet.

http://illuminationgear.com/14322/26992.html

That makes the two of us , i had looked at that site before but stopped reading just above the actual drop-in part as i had already seen the complete unit and price because it says in blue "New LED Models expected to arrive week of April 4th - and now avaiable for PRE-ORDER." and i could have sworred i saw Modules! and right under that is what i saw , yet the next paragraph says it all LOL .

HooNz

Enlightened
Ya reckon i could find a post or postage cost thingy on the site! anyway clicked all the necessary buttons and i'll sit back and wait to see what happens :)

Soooooooo many lumens out of such a small gadget! , just add bread and Vegemite i reckon , wait wait wait . Paul

HooNz

Enlightened
I'll have to quit posting , especially after this one .
Being American designed and Chinese manufactured , Eagletac or who-ever names these things might have chosen a different designation for the "Ho" in America and maybe chose Eo (extra output) :) :)

afdk

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys belive all those LUMEN numbers? I'm a little skeptical! The flashlight companys know that publishing considerable higher lumen values and saying that they are ANSI will sell their lights!