Tasers Not Recommended To Subdue Small Children

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was being some what funny. I too have heard of people dying after being tased, cops letting victims ride the lighting, etc. Maybe they wer eout of shape and a good chase or wrestle with the cop would of caused the same outcome.

What would be a better option, pepper spray or mace?

Samuel

Enlightened
cobb said:
I was being some what funny. I too have heard of people dying after being tased, cops letting victims ride the lighting, etc. Maybe they wer eout of shape and a good chase or wrestle with the cop would of caused the same outcome.

What would be a better option, pepper spray or mace?

If I were being picky/anal, I would say that the phrase "cops letting victims ride the lighting" connotates the negative image of LEOs Tasing "innocent" people for no reason... ;)

As far as a "better option", are you asking my opinion on comparing different types of chemical agents with each other or chemical agents vs a Taser?

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
the better option would have been a cop or two wearing a heavy long sleeved coat and gloves taking the glass from the child.

get real

Glass

Newly Enlightened
markdi said:
ride along

why so some cop can have me in his enviroment and brain wash me - no thanks.

Brainwash? Have you in his enviroment?

Wow. I'm speechless and disappointed.

Patrick

Samuel

Enlightened
markdi said:
the better option would have been a cop or two wearing a heavy long sleeved coat and gloves taking the glass from the child.

get real

IF the items were readily available at the time or IF there had been time to go look for such items, Then that Might have been a valid option.

"get real"? classy. real classy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

magic79

Enlightened
markdi said:
ride along

If you are unwilling to experience it first hand, you ought to refrain from all the anti-cop statements.

Samuel

Enlightened
lol If I had the ability to Jedi Mind Trick people, it sure would make my life easier! Heck, then I might even be able to get a date once in awhile (I have no game)!
:( :D

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Samuel said:
lol If I had the ability to Jedi Mind Trick people, it sure would make my life easier! Heck, then I might even be able to get a date once in awhile (I have no game)!
:( :D
Not to mention tricking little kids into dropping pieces of glass!

Navck

Enlightened
My friend got sent to a grouphome due to "suspect abuse" (His brother fell, broke arm, hospital freaked out and got him and brother seperated from his mom)
Well, one of the guys at the place who "helped control" the childern was... Uhh... "Far out there..."
He was walking around one day in the place, and the guy decides to SHOCK him (Stungun or tazer, forgot what they mentioned, he says they carry those for the violent and older kids), then beat him to the ground and scream "DONT EVEN DARE TRY TO ATTACK ME" (When he walked by him. Obviously someones crazy.)
Same place gave him 20 so called "chickenpox immunity shots" (You mean "expermiental drugs")

Crazy things happen, you just don't know about it sometimes.
Great example, when I was in preschool, I had my head thrown againist a door repeatively by the teacher. My mom wanted to press charges, but not enough "evidence" (Bleeding head does not count. You could of done it yourself, etc)

And yes, we're perfectly normal (Tho I'm a flashaholic, hes not :crackup: )

Last edited:

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Navck said:
My friend got sent to a grouphome due to "suspect abuse" (His brother fell, broke arm, hospital freaked out and got him and brother seperated from his mom)
Well, one of the guys at the place who "helped control" the childern was... Uhh... "Far out there..."
He was walking around one day in the place, and the guy decides to SHOCK him (Stungun or tazer, forgot what they mentioned, he says they carry those for the violent and older kids), then beat him to the ground and scream "DONT EVEN DARE TRY TO ATTACK ME" (When he walked by him. Obviously someones crazy.)
Same place gave him 20 so called "chickenpox immunity shots" (You mean "expermiental drugs")

Crazy things happen, you just don't know about it sometimes.
Great example, when I was in preschool, I had my head thrown againist a door repeatively by the teacher. My mom wanted to press charges, but not enough "evidence" (Bleeding head does not count. You could of done it yourself, etc)

And yes, we're perfectly normal (Tho I'm a flashaholic, hes not :crackup:)
Ha, my Latin teacher used to beat us with books, but we thought it was funny.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldnt mind doing a ride along one day. Rather neat how the cops on COPS can pull over a drug user/distributor. Maybe they edit it that way or drug use is wide spread.

I havent a clue on how to better handle the kid. Maybe shoot the glass that was in his hand or shoot the kid with a bean bag gun. I would hope if he had a gun in his hand a sniper would shoot his hand or the gun itself.

I could say first hand about abuse from cops or other facilities. The nursing home my mother was in they were rather lazy and didnt do things they should or were asked by some of the patients. Many of the patients get into fights with each other and the other employees. As for cops abusing folks, I just know what i hear from folks on the bus, etc. I spoke to a former ambulance driver who was told by a coworker one day to follow a police car as they saw the folks run from the cops. THey got the car stuck on the train tracks and took off on foot. When they arrived on the scene she said they had broken legs, shattered knee caps, etc and that I should never run from the cops as they take it personal and I would be back in the wheelchair for a few years healing up. She also talked about the BS calls she got for folks who wanted their prescriptions refilled, mental problems and suicides.

Navck

Enlightened
Lightmeup said:
Ha, my Latin teacher used to beat us with books, but we thought it was funny.

Wait, what? You were beaten WITH books? The ginormous 1.5 inch thick, 10 pound huge things that you read?!

Samuel

Enlightened
cobb said:
I havent a clue on how to better handle the kid. Maybe shoot the glass that was in his hand or shoot the kid with a bean bag gun. I would hope if he had a gun in his hand a sniper would shoot his hand or the gun itself.

In brief, extremities move much more quickly and unpredictably than larger body parts (i.e. the torso) and shooting ability deteriorates due to normal human physiological changes in high/extreme stress situations.

The nice thing about any well-written use of force policy is that there are no "absolutes" and/or exact/specific standard operating procedures to follow. Meaning, in the kid with the glass situation, there is no one correct answer to the problem - you could try the bean bag route, markdi could bundle up in heavy clothing, I could use a Taser, someone else could try chemical agents, etc and All of our efforts/choices could easily be found equally Reasonable.

When faced with a "tense, uncertain, and rapidly evolving situation" that necessitates one to take immediate action, people (LEOs & non-LEOs) will do what is most "natural" or "comfortable" (or well-trained). The vast majority of us (LEOs $ non-LEOs) Will handle it in "good faith" and to the best of our abilities. IF there is or had been a "better" way, it is often arrived at AFTER the "20/20 of hindsight" and After much time spent reviewing, discussing, and minutely examining the situation and outcome...

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure am glad I don't live around some of you guys, more so for my kids.
5 years old is the age of a kindergartner, not exactly a threat in my books. Agile, yes.. A threat that requires the same force used to subdue a 200lb man? I'm leaning on the NO side of that.. :thinking:
"Oooh, look at the shiny truck" may have been just as effective on a five year old. Your shirt would substitute a thick glove in a flash, probally not be so traumatic either.
I couldn't tell you the first time I rode a bike, but sure as I'm sitting here I can recall in detail the first time electricity ran through my body.

Mrs. Smith, Timmy threw a crayon
Just a minute, I'll get my tazer.

Poor kids, go tazer their parents.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) http://www.taser.com/documents/PACE_Dr_McDaniel_Rpt.pdf

Quote from page 4, under Discussion, second paragraph: " This study used adult domestic pigs chosen to simulate a range of adult human body weights between 30 and 120 Kg, likely to be encountered in police work."

2) I never suggested that the option of 'do nothing' ever existed. My point was that SECURITY officers should have the knowhow to SECURE a 6year old child in the situation described above... Why are security officers present in such a school anyhow, not partly to keep lowlives (as in adult predators)out of the school and away from the children?

3) There are alwayse exceptions to the rule. I will never deny that situations can arise where a young child will have to be controled by taser or worse...

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know, I see someone approaching a small child holding glass and the child getting scared, clutching the glass even tighter. I'm not worried about the child cutting somebody else with the glass, I'm worried about the child hurting themselves with the glass.

I guess one way or another the child is going to be injured, so it just depends on the situation and judgement calls to depend on how it will happen. And that puts pretty much everybody in a bad situation..

greenLED

Flashaholic
markdi said:
ride along

:ohgeez: Generally the ride is so busy, and the officer is so focused in handling 3-4 different tasks (radio, cell, computer, traffic, etc.) at the same time, there isn't really time to chat, much less "brainwash".

LEO's only eat donuts on TV... :shakehead

I consider a worthy mental exercise to expose myself to the "other" side of a debate, so I can better sustain my position against it (if need be). On some ocassions, it's actually made me realize my original position was unfounded (due to mis-information, lack thereof, or some personal/cultural bias). Sometimes, being wrong is actually a good thing - there's no shame in learning, and a bruised ego is not a lethal injury. ;)

Last edited:

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea I bet it would be fun

how do you know I have not been in a ride along ?

I would probably get to watch a policeman catch a few speeders and give them tickets.

I doubt I would get to watch a couple policeman take a piece of glass from a child or save some ones life or property.

Latest posts