Technological obsolescence in our times

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
C'est la vie!

To each his own.

I'd rather live here on 2.5 acres that needs mowing about every 5 days than live where I did prior.

Yes, I have to drive to get anywhere. And I don't see plays or movies much anymore as I'm to tired to be up much past 10pm.

But it's a GOOD kind of tired!

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I moved from 26th street and 9th avenue in Manhattan to here: tedsplace(dot)com (slideshow starts after a while)

..a small apartment in a crowded noisey city to the middle of this chaparral meadow by the sea.. this is better.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
My big complaint right now is the Subway - I take the 1 train to 66th. That stop has 3 MAJOR problems - 3 High Schools. The stop is way over crowded, they usually have to have 5-6 Police Officers on the platform, the kids think it's fun to scream to their friends on the platform across the tracks. After 10 years commuting to this stop, I've had enough (the summers are better, but then you get the HEAT instead of the kids)

For 10+ years before that, I went down to Wall St - the commute was a lot more civil

Once you are truely rural (or at least exurban) driving isn't a chore, it's something you do. Traffic is having 1 car in front of you, and you probably know who it is, and where he is going to turn. I've spent enough time in that kind of situation that I know it. _I_ like it, but it is different. You don't plan on running to the local store - you PLAN your shopping, and if you work in town (most do) you do it on the way home from work

IF I could twist SWMBOs arm, I'd be small town/rural, and deal with the commute (but I want to be close enough to town to get broadband). I want to live where a 5 acre lot is about as small as they get. LOTS of trees is a good thing. The old stone walls and woods roads are good. Where you have a small patch of grass that you mow sometimes because you feel like it, and it just tapers off into the woods

Sigh

Probably the closest I'll ever come to it is a small vacation house someday.

Sometimes in the fall, I nominally go hunting at a friends place - often times, we are not even carrying anything to hunt with. It's just time to go out in the woods, sit quietly, away from people, and re-connect with nature, instead of the concrete that is rapidly replacing the trees that were in Flushing

winston

Enlightened
I had an aversion to traffic, smog, crowds - so I moved from the suburbs of Los Angeles the the great northwest.

Plenty of amenities, ethnic foods, wide array of things to do up here - only minutes away.

I agree with eliminating the pennies.

Looking through sentimental eyes at the town one thinks of as home sometimes gets unfairly labeled dishonest, or at the very least naive; but I think it's a commendable and constructive way to express identification with a community. I support genuine feelings of civic pride, and celebrate good neighbors everywhere.

I just don't know how to break this to you gently... I'm a little concerned that you include ethnic foods among the many virtues of Washington. In fact, I worry you may have caught that 105 degree fever from jtr1962.:sick:

I love the state of Washington, and have lived in her towns - from Enumclaw to Ellensburg, Bellevue to Bellingham, Seattle to Snohomish, and twice in each of the Olympia/Lacey/Tumwater townettes - and have never found anything romotely resembling an acceptable enchilada, a top-notch taco, or even a satisfactory ceviche.

Ethnic foods in Washington? Que lastima.... Que lastima....
Gracias,
-Winston ;)

I'm with you on the whole pennies thing; they serve no purpose other than weighing me down when I'm trying to walk somewhere. Useless ballast.:thumbsdow

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It is difficult to find GOOD Enchiladas or much of ANYTHING besides Hamburgers or Pizza within a decent drive of here, and we have more Mexicans than average!

Still, I'd rather be here than in Houston. People tend to be a WHOLE lot nicer.

Raven

Enlightened
cameras
vcrs
laser disc
record players
televisions
cassettes
8 track tapes