Terralux 140 Lumen upgrade for AA maglite

magliteart71

Newly Enlightened
G,day everyone on candlepowerforums!:grin2: this is my first post and i would like to have my say on cheap LED upgrades for maglites.
i purchased the terralux 3 watt drop in led for my AA mini maglite. it cost me 26 AUD. they claim 140 lumens the package includes the led itself and a new reflector to fit the new led. the led simply pops straight in and takes 30 seconds to complete. the old bulb is removed and the new led module is replaced. the new reflector is installed and bobs ya uncle!! powering up the led for the first time made me smile. the beam was strong and bright the kit allowed full focusing capabilities unlike other dropins. however not completely full focusing capabilities. the led is so bulky it only allows you to turn the head for one and a half turns before it comes off. that is really annoying. then the second downside. it gets seriously hot. and i mean scalding. if you take the head off and touch the module it will scald your skin if its been on a while. eventually the whole torch becomes warm and you feel the need to turn the torch off as you are worried its going to melt itself. then the 140 lumens is a lie. it only puts out around 100 lumens at best. i lined it up with my LED LENSER L7 which is rated at 115 lumens. my led lenser completely blew it out of the water. and yes i had fresh alkaline batteries in both units. so i would say its 100 lumens being generous.

pros
easy to install
fairly bright compared to the old bulb
focuses well and looks stock.
great beam throw
good battery life
has a voltage regulating circuit

cons
gets hot
only about 100 lumens not 140.
only allows you to turn the head 1 1/2 turns.

i would say this drop in is good for using the torch for short periods of time and not long periods of time. its good for the cost and throws out 100 lumens which is plenty. its okay for what you pay, besides i only use that torch for a short period of time.. i use my 3d mag for extended periods of use.
what do you guys think. do you upgrade or keep stock?
i have heard that the gene malkopff is a good drop in but are not available for aa mags.

Latest posts