>>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!<<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

vic2367

Enlightened
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!<<<

hey...i just ordered the terraluxtle-5k2mini star 2 extreme 5 watt led for my mini mag from batterjunction,,,is the newer version out ?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!<<<

I'll start a presale thread when we get closer to release on the TLE-5EX's.

riffraff - 140 lumens at the emitter for the TLE-5EX's is actually believable if a little enthusiastic. The emitter is driven at ~550mah IIRC and according to jtr1962's excellent work we know that 550ma translates to just under 140L. Now of course it won't deliver that out the front, we all know that. I have a prototype here and I can tell you that it's VERY bright - far brighter than the K2 version and WAY brighter than a standard TLE-5. When I compare it to a P1DCE on high it's not as bright but it's very close so I'm confortable saying that it's in excess of 100 lumens out the front - pretty damned impressive from a AA MiniMag and certainly brighter than the $50-75 sandwiches on the market.

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!

MattK said:
I'll start a presale thread when we get closer to release on the TLE-5EX's.

riffraff - 140 lumens at the emitter is actually believable if a little enthusiastic. The emitter is driven at ~550mah IIRC and according to [url-https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1832033&postcount=103]jtr1962's excellent work[/url] we know that 550ma translates to just under 140L. Now of course it won't deliver that out the front, we all know that. I have a prototype here and I can tell you that it's VERY bright - far brighter than the K2 version and WAY brighter than a standard TLE-5. When I compare it to a P1DCE on high it's not as bright but it's very close so I'm confortable saying that it's in excess of 100 lumens out the front - pretty damned impressive from a AA MiniMag and certainly brighter than the $50-75 sandwiches on the market.

exactly ,the 140 is just what the spec sheet would give you this upgrade is on par with the F1 & L1d-ce in output to the eye

DJ Q

Newly Enlightened
Re: >>>TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites TLE-6EX!

DJ Q said:
DSC02006.JPG
DSC02008.JPG
DSC02010.JPG

With the incan. there is more color definition, but in terms of throw, it doesn't compare...also notice the difference in the flood ability (the white concrete ground)

xiaowenzu

Banned

DJ Q said:
With the incan. there is more color definition, but in terms of throw, it doesn't compare...also notice the difference in the flood ability (the white concrete ground)

Are you saying the incand has more throw? I thought it had less!

Does the 5ex allow a wide range of voltage input like the 6ex? Would it be possible to drive a 5ex with a pair of lions? ~7.4v

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic

Hey Matt, I had a question about the TLE-5EX's for the minimag.

Is there any multilevel switch that doesn't kill output (ie IQ switch) for the minimag? If so, I guess it would make the minimag 1 level and killer bright...

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened

gunga said:
Hey Matt, I had a question about the TLE-5EX's for the minimag.

Is there any multilevel switch that doesn't kill output (ie IQ switch) for the minimag? If so, I guess it would make the minimag 1 level and killer bright...

Good question, would the IQ work with the new minimag unit?

Any news on the minimag P4's? Finger's on the trigger for some 6D units but I might as well wait for the minimags too :)

Cheers

Dave

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

The IQ switch will work on the new unit but it will reduce output. I'd guess perhaps a 15% reduction.

There's no other multistage switch for the MiniMag's that I know of.

Out TLE-5EX's are supposed to ship today/tomorrow - I'm waiting on a callback to confirm and an order link will go live today/tomorrow.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

thats fast :)

Daekar

Enlightened

I'm still trying to tell if I'm going to be able to underrun this thing in a 2D mag with 2 NiMH D cells for runtime and then stick in my 3AA-1D adapters for output. Would it even light up with 2 NiMH cells?

tvsjr

Newly Enlightened

Well, I received three more of the 3-6 cell dropin replacements... two worked great... one got quite bright for a half-second and then went *poof*.

Looks like it's back to BatteryJunction for that one.

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened

MattK said:
The IQ switch will work on the new unit but it will reduce output. I'd guess perhaps a 15% reduction.

There's no other multistage switch for the MiniMag's that I know of.

Hmmmm, I've been trying to justify putting a high end LED in what is essentially a spare torch body that will simply gather dust....... Then I realised that a minimag with an IQ switch, spare power holster, lithium AA's and P4 LED will be the perfect backup light for my African trips.

If I burn all my CR123's I can fall back on the minimag at full power (taking off the IQ if I really need to max the power). With the IQ on I can use it as a general tent torch running on readily available AA's and at reduced power if necessary.

There, I've justified buying one!

Just waiting for the order link now Matt :)

Cheers

Dave

pilou

Enlightened

Of course, for the cost of the LED upgrade and the IQ switch, you can buy a brand new very decent LED light, such as an Inova Bolt, T1, Dorcy, etc., that has been designed from the grounds up to be an LED light.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened

pilou said:
Of course, for the cost of the LED upgrade and the IQ switch, you can buy a brand new very decent LED light, such as an Inova Bolt, T1, Dorcy, etc., that has been designed from the grounds up to be an LED light.
Would any of the lights you mentioned run as long on a set of batteries as a 6 D cell Maglite with the TerraLUX drop-in?

pilou

Enlightened

GeorgePaul said:
Would any of the lights you mentioned run as long on a set of batteries as a 6 D cell Maglite with the TerraLUX drop-in?

Nope. But we are talking about the IQ switch, and hence the Minimag version of the P4 dropin :)

SQ40

Newly Enlightened

Just Ordered the MiniStar5 today and its already shipped!

While I was at it, I went by Lowes and picked up a new 4D to host it. (Hey for $20.. Why Not..)

Can't wait to get this bad-boy in!! THANKS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.