Testing lights' waterproofness TK-10, 6P, Novatac 120P, SF Backup

pactchncn

Newly Enlightened
Climber Kid and I decided that we wanted to go swimming with our lights. They were underwater for about 45 minutes, two took on water and two survived. All of them were subjected to ten foot depths and switched on and off. They were thrown across the pool and into the deep end. They looked sweet when they were sinking to the bottom.

IMG_0728.jpg

Left to right: TK-10, 6P with an Cree R2 LED, SF Backup, and Novatac 120P
IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

In the box, flashing Novatac 120P. From left to right: 6P with Cree R2 LED, SF Backup, Novatac 120P, TK-10.
IMG_0739.jpg

This was my somewhat successful underwater photo. I made a makeshift waterproof container for my G9 using a clear waterproof box bought from walmart and some furniture foam. To take the picture I set my camera to self timer and quickly closed up the box.

And for the status of these lights,
The Novatac and the SF Backup survived with no leakage and no failure.
The Fenix TK-10, Took on a little water, enough to make it act up.
The Modded Surefire 6P was missing an o-ring and took on water, it started acting up by going from high to barely on.

Both lights have been dried out and work again!

Happy to say that both of my lights survived!

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool review, when u say that the 6P took on water was it that the light had a gap due to the module

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the problems were the freakin tailcaps.....
i dont know exactly what caused it, but it was mostly condensation inside the light. could be due to the heat. :shrug:

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
argh! i had this idea while back when i threw my Tiablo into my friends pool. We havnt since had time to do it properly...but we are going to eventually. He has the Olympus waterproof model...

Crenshaw

pactchncn

Newly Enlightened
Kinda thought about it on a whim, just happened to have my camera and pocket tripod around. And, of course, I always have lights on me.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Closest i have to duking my lights is in the shower only cause i suck at swimming

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
is there something wrong with the way they designed the threads then? the tail cap design is another story. i dont think it works very well and i dont like momentary very much to start with.

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
He has the Olympus waterproof model...

Crenshaw
just make sure he cleans the battery and usb doors properly before he submerges it.
Kinda OT but:
my day job involves making leaky wrecked olympuses (olympii ?) seal and work again - they seal great if the sealing surfaces are spotless, they leak badly if they havent been cared for - and the doors should be changed every 12 months too

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a dive light with bone dry seals and see how waterproof it really is.

Properly lubed o-rings is REQUIRED for any sort of submersion.

Actually I use dive lights and I do not always lube my lights

Lubricating the o-rings increases the seal dramatically however we are only talking 10 feet of water which is only about 4.3 psi of water pressure. If the o-ring was lubricated it would probably seal but increase the water pressure and it is likely the seal will channel

A proper gland design should seal at 10 feet. even if it gets knocked around

If it was my light and it leaked I would change the size of the o-ring not just lubricate them to fix the leakage

Monocrom

Flashaholic
When I read that the 6P was using an aftermarket R2 drop-in, I knew it wasn't one of the two lights that survived. Even if the tailcap wasn't an issue, many aftermarket drop-ins that say they'll fit in a Surefire light; don't fit properly. Even with the outer spring removed from the drop-ins, the drop-ins tend to be taller than a P60 lamp. They'll fit inside a Surefire bezel, but when you screw on the head; it only scews on about halfway.

To me, that's not a proper fit. I've heard that a Malkoff M60 will fit properly. (Got one on the way).

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe i should think about the malkoff instead then. plus malkoff just rocks...:thumbsup: you are right about the fit though. it is tougher to screw on. but on the other hand, the water was in the tail cap. all the water i saw was just some condensation. seems like that could have also been caused by the light being on for a long time and heating up like it does.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
maybe i should think about the malkoff instead then. plus malkoff just rocks...:thumbsup: you are right about the fit though....

I'll let you know how well the M60 fits in my Surefire C2 after the drop-in arrives.