Thanks to candlepwerforums I use my flashlights less and less

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would not it be funny if in the future the most asked question just may be....."yeah, yeah, but what is the low level like on this light?"

Catapult

Enlightened
Before I became a flashaholic, I used dark adapted vision all the time. After joining CPF, as a rookie flashaholic, I was buying flashlights left an right, and whipping them out every time I needed some light (or sometimes for no reason at all). Now, as a more experienced flashaholic, I stopped buying and relying on flashlights altogether and learned to use what I always had, my own eyes. I only use a flashlight if dark adapted vision isn't enough.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is sort of related to the subject (preserving night vision).

One thing I had to start doing over the last couple of years (as I entered my 40s) was whenever I was turning off lights for the night, I would close my eyes before turning off the light.

Then when I opened my eyes, I was already partially adapted to the darkness.

However, the other night I was walking out of the bedroom into the hallway and turned off the hallway light with my eyes open. Whoa!!!! I had to stop moving until my eyes adapted for fear of walking on one of the cats (while my wife was laughing at me) :shakehead

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
This is sort of related to the subject (preserving night vision).

One thing I had to start doing over the last couple of years (as I entered my 40s) was whenever I was turning off lights for the night, I would close my eyes before turning off the light.

Then when I opened my eyes, I was already partially adapted to the darkness.

However, the other night I was walking out of the bedroom into the hallway and turned off the hallway light with my eyes open. Whoa!!!! I had to stop moving until my eyes adapted for fear of walking on one of the cats (while my wife was laughing at me) :shakehead

I often close my eyes when I turn off a light. When I don't it seems that the light image burns in my eyes for a second, after the light is out.

Bill

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, as a more experienced flashaholic, I stopped buying and relying on flashlights altogether and learned to use what I always had, my own eyes. I only use a flashlight if dark adapted vision isn't enough.

OMG! That's almost too perverse to mention in a crazy place like this.

cerbie

Enlightened
Would not it be funny if in the future the most asked question just may be....."yeah, yeah, but what is the low level like on this light?"
That has been happening; it swayed me towards buying another Nitecore (OOS at 4sevens, ugh!). When my eyes aren't adapted, then yeah, I want bright. I need my eyes to do the minimal amount of work (sensitizing cones, adjusting contrast levels, etc.). When it's dark, though, and I'll be out for a bit...that's not the case. Too many lights are getting brighter, but not necessarily better.

Another thing happening is more focus on tint and color rendition. Many torches are now bright enough for long enough that a little sacrifice in lm/W is worth it.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The spider stories are the reason I always have plenty of light infront of me when I'm walking around trees and places where spiders maybe. It sounds like you encountered the Orb Weaver spider. You often see no web during the day as they quickly spin up large and elaborate webs after dark. They can be huge. Also they normally sit right in the middle of the web and having one crawl across your face has been known to cause people to have heart attacks, etc.

Did it look something like this, they can vary in coloration and appearance:

Some years I only see a couple of these around. Other years they are EVERYWHERE. One year I had over a dozen of them in my small back yard with big webs all over the place. Uhg. They are very beneficial though. I hear they can bite and it's pretty painful, but nothing serious, unless you're allergic I guess, or it scares you to death. :)

Also I almost passed out taking this picture. I think spiders are cool and I like photographing them, but if they get on me, or I think one may get on me, I might as well be a little girl wetting my pants:

Yeah, that thing was just dangling from my porch ceiling, waiting to just fall on me as I stood underneath it taking a picture of it. I remember just praying it wouldn't fall down or lower itself. I think it's some type of Orb Weaver, or maybe a male Writing Spider (Garden Spider), but whatever it was, it's one of the UGLIEST spiders I've come across around my place.

After this post I think I'm going to be using my lights even more outside now. Hehe.

Last edited:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the orange spider is pretty similar to what I saw. I'd never seen that kind before; sort of orange with black bands on the legs.

Ugh!