The Amazing Corn Maze

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
A headlamp is always a good idea... that way you can fend off any Labyrinth-type creatures you might encounter :)

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Well, you dont need throw, your in a maze!

Personally i would bring my KL4 on a 18650 battery tube with Mc2es switch with 2 extra 18650 cells, a PD on backup duty, with AWR Nano on keychain.

Plenty of flood to get you through the maze for sure!

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard if you are lost in a maze that simply placing your hand on the left wall and walking without taking your hand from said left "wall" will get you out of there eventually.

I'd still take a bag full of lights and batteries if I going on one of these trips though...sounds like great fun...enjoy yourself Narpho!

CFU

Edited to spell "Narpho's" name correctly...sorry mate.
ohgeez.gif

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Casual Flashlight User said:
I've heard if you are lost in a maze that simply placing your hand on the left wall and walking without taking your hand from said left "wall" will get you out of there eventually.

LOL, I heard the same thing, except with the RIGHT hand. (It was called the "Right Hand Algorithm.) But this method supposedly doesn't work in the "good" mazes.

There's a fence maze near where I live at a Family Fun Center. I saw pics on their Web site and it's so ratty it looks like a training camp for alley muggers and rapists.

Razor

Newly Enlightened
Definitly have a hotwire amongst your wares. That way you can snack on some fresh popcorn if you're lost and hungry. Just don't burn the whole place down.

LED BriCK

Enlightened
scott.cr said:
LOL, I heard the same thing, except with the RIGHT hand. (It was called the "Right Hand Algorithm.) But this method supposedly doesn't work in the "good" mazes.
I think it pretty much has to work, as long as there's only one entrance and one exit. If you're looking for a particular exit among several (i.e. if the Minotaur is standing at one of the exits), then all bets are off. Best to carry a USL, in that case.

Noxonomus

Newly Enlightened
LED BriCK said:
I think it pretty much has to work, as long as there's only one entrance and one exit. If you're looking for a particular exit among several (i.e. if the Minotaur is standing at one of the exits), then all bets are off. Best to carry a USL, in that case.

It is usualy defeted by creating more then one posable path to the exit, as that forms a sort of island and if the wall you choose to follow is part of the island you will jsut end up going in circles. So the efectiveness of the the techchnique varies greatly with the design of the maze the luck of the person in it and how lost they are when they start using it.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, this "hand to the wall" technique is not such a safe bet after all...I suppose you maze roamers should stick with the old "machete in your backback" method then.
smile.gif

Or that timeless classic...a very long piece of string.
buttrock.gif

CFU

BrighTor

Newly Enlightened
We have a "Grand Maze and Mini-Golf" park here in Panama City (tourist town all the way) and it's a lot of fun. It's made up of PVC fence panel things that they shuffle around every now and then to change up the maze. Our typical tactic is to take a bunch of goofy kids and race through the thing. PVC panels don't bend like corn, so it makes things interesting as far as having to slow down when running at full tilt. :) I think the total area covered by the maze is 1 acre or so. There are check-in points that you go up on and can get an idea of what direction you need to head next. They had a website I was going to link, but it seems to be broken. :( Anyway, I wish they'd do a "lights-out" run there every now and then but I don't see that happening.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bad.. VERY BAD memories..

THats where i lost my favorite light.... (which I havent yet replaced), the L1.. older gen.

:(
-tom

LED BriCK

Enlightened
Noxonomus said:
It is usualy defeted by creating more then one posable path to the exit, as that forms a sort of island and if the wall you choose to follow is part of the island you will jsut end up going in circles. So the efectiveness of the the techchnique varies greatly with the design of the maze the luck of the person in it and how lost they are when they start using it.
A-ha, very sneaky!

Narpho

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replys. I guess some lights with good flood and my G2 as backup for a little throw should do it. I dont have a lot of lights but was thinking about bringing the L1P and maybe my new MiniMag LED.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last time I did this, the hosts gave out a 2D incan, with semi-dead batteries, which put all 3 lumens of light I would guess.

it was just a part of the mystery I did not want to ruin.

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
Okay, some notes about the right/left hand wall following algorithm. It doesn't matter which hand you use they both work. Also the "good" mazes with floating walls that form islands do not defeat this algorithm... as long as you use it from the very beginning. If you start the maze with the algorithm, it'll get you through to the other side. You'll completely bypass the islands. If you're lost? then the algorithm is virtually useless, it may or maynot get you unlost so is not a good thing to rely on. But, there's something called the pledge algorithm that is a modified wall following algorithm that accounts for islands and will get you out even if you start from the middle. Also, the basic wall following algorithm WILL work for a maze with multiple exits. Just pretend the unwanted exit is walled over and keep moving until you get to the one you want (while avoiding or vanquishing any minatours).

Final note, basic wall following will not work if the goal of the maze is internal. It will not solve mazes that require you to go in find something, then come back out the entrance. It will work in the sense that it will lead you into the maze and safely lead you out, but it will not lead you to the center and lead you back out.