The Big Bruiser by Elektrolumens, Who has it ?

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my two SST-90 BBs, they are killer lights. Definitely more of a focused beam, very bright. I noticed the new bodies' talicaps are much easier to turn, making one-handed operation a cinch.

Hey there, just how much more focused is that SST-90 version? The only thing holding me back from the BB is the too-floody (for me) beam profile. I'd love to hear that the SST-90 version is closer to a mix of throw and flood (what I like to call a "traditional" flashlight beam). If the SST-90 version has that kind of beam, I'll be all over it. Yeah, so about those outdoor (comparitive??) beamshots.....

Viper715

Enlightened
I'm in the same boat. I have the three XML BB and its great really but I find myself wanting for a little more throw and less of a stadium light.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey there, just how much more focused is that SST-90 version? The only thing holding me back from the BB is the too-floody (for me) beam profile. I'd love to hear that the SST-90 version is closer to a mix of throw and flood (what I like to call a "traditional" flashlight beam). If the SST-90 version has that kind of beam, I'll be all over it. Yeah, so about those outdoor (comparitive??) beamshots.....

It's not the throwiest SST-90 flashlight in the world, but the beam is definitely more concentrated with a good share of flood.

I would take outdoor comparative beamshots but I have a camera circa 2003. Not the best camera to take beamshots with. I know a couple of ideal locations to do outdoor beamshots, but LE is an issue and always tell me to GTFO... the cops in my neighborhood are pretty squirrelly. :shrug:

I'm in the same boat. I have the three XML BB and its great really but I find myself wanting for a little more throw and less of a stadium light.

You will likely love the SST-90 version then, because that's exactly what it does. It's about 2200 lumens, so about the same output as the warm-white. I honestly didn't get the chance yet to really compare the cool-white XML to the SST-90. Went out to my front porch last night to light a field adjacent to my house, and a police car pulled up and slowed down. Not a good sign, and I took that as a warning to leave. I just walked back into my house and they drove off. :( Not trying to sound anti-police or anything, it's just the way they behave around here.

I'll try again tonight!

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some updates on the throw of these lights: I went out on my front porch again last night and lit up the field adjacent to my house. I'm going to be honest and I hope I don't get anyone's hopes up. The SST-90's throw @2100 lumens is better than the cool white tri-XML @3000 lumens, but here's something to think about: it's very difficult to focus a really huge LED like the SST-90 to throw in such a tiny optic. That said, I'm extremely surprised by the performance of the Ledil Iris optic Wayne installed. It does an excellent job of focusing it into an actual "beam" pattern, instead of the stadium light effect as mentioned by Viper715. The SST-90 does have a narrower more focused beam, but the sheer output of the cool white XML's does compensate for its lack of throw.

With that said, let's face it. Every attempt to date to make a pocketable or semi-pocketable SST-90 flashlight hasn't come remotely close to anything that resembles a hotspot. Heck even XM-L flashlights of the same size (think Zebra SC600) are floody. So it's an extremely impressive and innovative feat by Wayne Johnson to make the SST-90 do something that others couldn't.

Personally I'm hooked with the SST-90 and will be using it as my EDC. In fact I already am! :)

Just got my warm white SST-90 this morning and I'm going to say this is my new favorite. It's the least brightest of the bunch @1700 lumens, but I absolutely favor the color temperature over my other hi-CRI flashlights. Red/orange/Yellow colors pop out a lot more evenly, whereas the warm-white tri-XML tends to wash out the other colors. Luminus did a great job designing this LED. I'll be taking my nightly walk tonight and see how it performs in the real world. This weekend I'll walk by some dark railroad tracks next to my old high school, will see how it performs in the throw category.

When I have the time I'll do a review of all the different flavors.

Last edited:

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some updates on the throw of these lights: I went out on my front porch again last night and lit up the field adjacent to my house. I'm going to be honest and I hope I don't get anyone's hopes up. The SST-90's throw @2100 lumens is better than the cool white tri-XML @3000 lumens, but here's something to think about: it's very difficult to focus a really huge LED like the SST-90 to throw in such a tiny optic. That said, I'm extremely surprised by the performance of the Ledil Iris optic Wayne installed. It does an excellent job of focusing it into an actual "beam" pattern, instead of the stadium light effect as mentioned by Viper715. The SST-90 does have a narrower more focused beam, but the sheer output of the cool white XML's does compensate for its lack of throw.

With that said, let's face it. Every attempt to date to make a pocketable or semi-pocketable SST-90 flashlight hasn't come remotely close to anything that resembles a hotspot. Heck even XM-L flashlights of the same size (think Zebra SC600) are floody. So it's an extremely impressive and innovative feat by Wayne Johnson to make the SST-90 do something that others couldn't.

Personally I'm hooked with the SST-90 and will be using it as my EDC. In fact I already am! :)

Just got my warm white SST-90 this morning and I'm going to say this is my new favorite. It's the least brightest of the bunch @1700 lumens, but I absolutely favor the color temperature over my other hi-CRI flashlights. Red/orange/Yellow colors pop out a lot more evenly, whereas the warm-white tri-XML tends to wash out the other colors. Luminus did a great job designing this LED. I'll be taking my nightly walk tonight and see how it performs in the real world. This weekend I'll walk by some dark railroad tracks next to my old high school, will see how it performs in the throw category.

When I have the time I'll do a review of all the different flavors.

Thank you for your comments on Big Bruiser. I originally designed Big Bruiser with the SST90 LED, but so many expressed a preference for the 3xml version I dropped the SST90 version. But the IRIS optics specs say 8.5 degrees beam, which is a lot narrower than the 19 degrees of the Ledil triple optics for the 3 XML LEDs.

Wayne

philsyson

Newly Enlightened
I have come to the confusion that I'm going to need to sell my 2 perfect black 3000 lumen BB's. gutted. Still wrapped in the bubble wrap they came in.

Where is the best place to sell them?

Phil from the UK