The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast your vote! PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

YAK-28

Enlightened
Re: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast your vote!

i wouldn't give up my fenix tk40, rop, surfire e2dl, or my coast x-21.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

I have already voted a few light's but if I may can I add a light, the Zebralight SC60.

I'm not sure if there is a maximum number of light's we can vote for and I would gladly remove another light from my voting to get this one added. I love it and consider it a definite must have, i would consider it in my top 3 favorite light's.

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool Fall SPY 007
Mac SST-50 EDC
McGizmo Haiku XPG

I'm very surprised at the lack of votes for the Mac SST-50 EDC? The value you get in the SST-50 is off the chart! You get a choice of three types of metals to meet your needs. You get lots of light for the dollar and fit and finish that's hard to beat! I love my 007 but the SST-50 is by far the most under rated light in this thread!

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

All votes added. :popcorn:

KevinL pioneered the ROP - he should get the credit for it.

Good point DM51. I gave him credit, as well as Maglite for creating the very suitable host.

I have already voted a few light's but if I may can I add a light, the Zebralight SC60.

I'm not sure if there is a maximum number of light's we can vote for and I would gladly remove another light from my voting to get this one added. I love it and consider it a definite must have, i would consider it in my top 3 favorite light's.

Vote added jhc. I purposely left this open ended for votes, so there is no maximum. However, I only ask that votes be limited to true "must-haves", so that in the end this is a comprehensive accounting of lights truely coveted by the CPF community.

I'm very surprised at the lack of votes for the Mac SST-50 EDC? The value you get in the SST-50 is off the chart! You get a choice of three types of metals to meet your needs. You get lots of light for the dollar and fit and finish that's hard to beat! I love my 007 but the SST-50 is by far the most under rated light in this thread!

You have to remember that many of the other lights are in unlimited supply, and can be had by anyone at anytime so long as they have the funds available. Many of the custom lights are available in "waves", so they are not as accessable. Also, custom lights are more expensive, so not as feasible for the masses to purchase. Although there are no restrictions regarding the price of a light for inclusion in this list - as this is very relative to the individual - it obviously restricts the number of people that can afford a given light. Therefore the number of people that have experience with the light - potential voters for it - will be less.

Personally, I've been close to pulling the trigger on the Mac SST-50 EDC a couple of times. One of the things that have held me back is the practicality. It would be cool to have such a powerhouse in such a pocket-able light. But since I would want the 2.8A version, I'd have to run a very low capacity IMR 16430 battery. This extremely short runtime combined with the obvious heat managment concerns has caused me to hold off. It seems to me that a well-driven XP-G is probably the brightest practical option for this size of light - especially in Ti (which would be my preference). However, I know most don't care about it being "practical", as it is a true work of art, as well as a fun "WOW" light at the same time. That is pretty obvious the way each run sells out instantaniously.

Ian2381

Enlightened

My newest light is the Nitecore D10 camouflage and I now understand the reason why so many members fall in love in this light.

It's a real beauty with a pocket clip and the output is really amazing.:thumbsup:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

My newest light is the Nitecore D10 camouflage and I now understand the reason why so many members fall in love in this light.

It's a real beauty with a pocket clip and the output is really amazing.:thumbsup:

No question, It is a highly valued light. I wasn't sure if you were just posting your initial feedback on the light, or if that was a another vote for it as a "must-have". If it was, let me know and if so I'll add another vote for it.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

I vote for the D10 as well as a must have, also the EX10 - I just preordered the D11.
Thanks.

Votes added. And with that, the D10 takes the #4 spot away from the M6!

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

Must cast a vote for the D10. I had o-ring issues which made mine stiffer to operate than I liked. I just took care of the o-ring issue and now I totally love the light... it has moved to a MUST HAVE light for me. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

All votes Added.

RA Twisty

I've had my Twisty now for about a month. I won't be getting rid of it - period. I've got the levels dialed in to be the most useful for me, with the most used output level accessible with a slight twist.

Everyone needs a light that won't let you down when being without light is not an option. I feel like this light fits that bill better than any other. Bomb-proof comes to mind. The programmability, perfectly simple UI, high-CRI (on mine), great ergonomics, useful beam pattern, and excellent efficiency are all just icing on the cake for this light... IMO, this one will be a light in my arsenal for good due to the level of trust that can be placed in it regardless of the circumstances.

For that - it also gets my vote as a must-have.

Harry999

Enlightened

I've had my Twisty now for about a month. I won't be getting rid of it - period. I've got the levels dialed in to be the most useful for me, with the most used output level accessible with a slight twist.

RichS,

I already have a 140 Twisty and the High CRI Custom Twisty has just cleared Customs following my online payment (unless the package is my Zebralight bundle ordered on 30 June 2010!). I am considering ordering another 140 Twisty with the 19670 tube and another with the CR123 tube that I suspect will shortly not be available at all. I guess you could say I agree with you that the Ra Twisty is a must have as well! :grin2:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quark AA^2 (tactical)
Maratac AAA (I'm not sure if this is counted separately from the iTP A3 EOS)

LotusDarkrose

Newly Enlightened

My spending money is pretty limited, but I am getting a zebralight sc60 with money after christmas. Maybe they will even have the sense to put a neutral xpg in there by that time, let's hope. Or if something else output, mode, and size comparable (4" with an 18650) comes along I may consider that instead. For now, the SC60 is my must have.

Bladedude

Newly Enlightened

Fenix Ta-21 is a must have!
Owned mine for 14 months now and it is the toughest light I have with the most output modes. Can be used for weeks on low mode (4 lumens), 1.5 hrs on high mode (220), and Everything in between! Throws approx. 200 meters with good spill too. Has survived 50 mph drop of ATV onto dirt road, 20mph drop off bicycle onto asphalt:fail:, and twice sank to the bottom of 2 ponds (approx 15') deep for about a half hour each time while I was trying to find it:thinking: and its still kickin!:devil:. Only thing id change is the audible clicks on the clicky switch and revolving switch system.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened

I've gotten another D10 since my last post in this thread, and it is still one of my favorite lights that I would have to replace in a heartbeat. However, the new top spot, since I can afford it, and I must tip my hat in acknowledgment to those before me, has been taken by an HDS Clicky..... It is an amazing light and will be the ultimate cause of my flogging several others, just to buy more HDS lights. So please add my vote for the "HDS/RA Clicky". It may not be the "perfect light" but dag nab it, what a resemblance!

Regards

Christian

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

All votes added. :popcorn:

RichS,

I already have a 140 Twisty and the High CRI Custom Twisty has just cleared Customs following my online payment (unless the package is my Zebralight bundle ordered on 30 June 2010!). I am considering ordering another 140 Twisty with the 19670 tube and another with the CR123 tube that I suspect will shortly not be available at all. I guess you could say I agree with you that the Ra Twisty is a must have as well! :grin2:

The Twisty is creeping dangerously close to the must-have list....unfortunately, I'm not sure how much longer it will meet the criteria of being readily available...that would be a true shame. I might just have to get another one before that day comes.

Maratac AAA (I'm not sure if this is counted separately from the iTP A3 EOS)

Yes - I am listing them separately. I thought they were different lights from different manufactures. Are they not? I see that the design is very similar, but I thought that they were different lights.

My spending money is pretty limited, but I am getting a zebralight sc60 with money after christmas. Maybe they will even have the sense to put a neutral xpg in there by that time, let's hope. Or if something else output, mode, and size comparable (4" with an 18650) comes along I may consider that instead. For now, the SC60 is my must have.

That looks to be a good choice. Once you get it, check back in here and let me know if you still consider it to be a "must-have" light for you based on your experience. We want to limit this list to lights you own so that you can give an endorsement based on personal experience.

Fenix Ta-21 is a must have!
Owned mine for 14 months now and it is the toughest light I have with the most output modes. Can be used for weeks on low mode (4 lumens), 1.5 hrs on high mode (220), and Everything in between! Throws approx. 200 meters with good spill too. Has survived 50 mph drop of ATV onto dirt road, 20mph drop off bicycle onto asphalt:fail:, and twice sank to the bottom of 2 ponds (approx 15') deep for about a half hour each time while I was trying to find it:thinking: and its still kickin!:devil:. Only thing id change is the audible clicks on the clicky switch and revolving switch system.

That is one abused light! You conducted the perfect torture test without even trying!!:twothumbs

Pics please.....:popcorn:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes - I am listing them separately. I thought they were different lights from different manufactures. Are they not? I see that the design is very similar, but I thought that they were different lights.
It seems the electronics are similar-all that's different is the body. I voted for the maratac over the Itp because it's better knurled, and more attractive IMO.

LotusDarkrose

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, sorry, I'm stupid when I stay up late and post :p

Anyways, my must have is my Quark AA Mini WW. I use it EVERY morning when I wake up because it doesnt hurt my eyes one bit on low right after I open my eyes, and it's just the right amount of light to get out the door and not wake the woman at the same time :D

QMini AA WW + key chain trit vial = perfect bedside light for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.