The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast your vote! PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast your vote!

Yeah, sorry, I'm stupid when I stay up late and post :p

Anyways, my must have is my Quark AA Mini WW. I use it EVERY morning when I wake up because it doesnt hurt my eyes one bit on low right after I open my eyes, and it's just the right amount of light to get out the door and not wake the woman at the same time :D

QMini AA WW + key chain trit vial = perfect bedside light for me.

No problem at all - others have done the same thing. Vote added for the Quark MiNi AA, which puts it equal with the SF LX2 in the rankings - not bad! It is a nice light - a friend of mine has one and I was pretty impressed with the tiny size for an AA light. I am just more of a CR2/CR123 light kind of guy due to the extra capacity to size ratio of those batteries. But I do see why the AA/AAA format lights are so popular due to the readily available power source.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

The Maratac AAA model and the iTP EOS A3 are the same model with very minor differences. Maratac has checkering and no key-ring post at the tailcap. Instead, it has a wire ring for key-ring attachment. The iTP has grooves instead of checkering. Otherwise, same body and same electronics. Along with even the same pocket clip. Same light. Just very minor differences. Car companies do the same thing all the time. For example: The Pontiac G5 is the same car as the Chevy Cobalt coupe. Same sheet metal, same frame, same under-pinnings. They just changed the badges and tweaked the tail lights.

It's clear that iTP is making the light for Maratac.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

It seems the electronics are similar-all that's different is the body. I voted for the maratac over the Itp because it's better knurled, and more attractive IMO.

The Maratac AAA model and the iTP EOS A3 are the same model with very minor differences. Maratac has checkering and no key-ring post at the tailcap. Instead, it has a wire ring for key-ring attachment. The iTP has grooves instead of checkering. Otherwise, same body and same electronics. Along with even the same pocket clip. Same light. Just very minor differences. Car companies do the same thing all the time. For example: The Pontiac G5 is the same car as the Chevy Cobalt coupe. Same sheet metal, same frame, same under-pinnings. They just changed the badges and tweaked the tail lights.

It's clear that iTP is making the light for Maratac.

Thanks for the additional info on these two lights.

These seemingly minor difference between these two lights are enough for individuals to choose one over the other. For example, because of the key-ring post at the bottom of the light, the ITP cannot tailstand, while the Martac can. This is a deciding factor for many individuals when deciding which light to buy. Another huge factor for flashaholics like us is the ergonomics and grip due to the knurling design or pattern on the body.

Because of the differences, I'll leave them listed as separate lights for voting purposes. If they were the same light in all aspects with the exception of different branding, I would combine the votes for them. This same logic applies for keeping lights separate that are the same in fuction but different in form/asthetics as is the case with the SureFire C2 and Z2.

TRITON

Newly Enlightened

G'day, my vote is for 1. muyshondt aeon. But I also think ITP A2. ZEBRA SC30. and ITP A3. That way I have all my prefered battery combo's covered. And not to forget the Fenix EO1 of course. There is so many other great lights that I own how hard is this to narrow down.

Crikey, I must carry about 5 lights with me every were I go, I'd feel naked with out them. :rolleyes: Oh and one of them is the Zebra h501, then theres the quark cr2 mini, the IlluminaTI xpg, Freds La Patite Killer, the photon Rex, Nextorch K1,Leatherman monarch 200, and Thrunite Tikey. AAAHHH! How are you suppose to vote for just one must have. OH no I just remembered what about the Peak Shasta N, Or the WEE. I got to stop this its making my brain spin.:sick:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I don't have a whole slew of pocket lights like that ^

But I have a few and as I'm sure I've already mentioned only a Quark AA could bump my Fenix P2D out of my pocket.

Where I'm rich in lights is in 2x123 or 1x18650. I have better than a dozen of those including EagleTac P10C2, Fenix TK10, Wolf Eyes Sniper, Ultrafire, Solarfire, Inova X02 and X03, Dereelight CL1H V3, Surefire G2 and C2 and Luma Power Luma Hunter M1. Along with a no name HA3 light and a few others.

Of these the EagleTac, Inova and LumaPower are ones I'd try HARD to replace!

barnesnet

Newly Enlightened

I'm currently loving the Fenix LD10 R4

aldagoods

Newly Enlightened

Ok -
Have to add my vote... the drumroll...

1: Novatac 120P.

I am hoping the light still qualifies, as, I have no idea what Novatac is doing with their current models, ebay availability, or if you consider the easter-egg hack giving "availability."

But after getting this light at the end of 2007 or early 2008, I still use the light daily. The low-low is unbeatable on a bedstand or late night camping -- from what I know, still one of the best low's out there. The UI still rocks...still love it over the nitecore R2 and jetbeam rrt-0 I have bought. Beam color and shape is fantastic. Being able to use different voltage batteries is great. Tail stand. Waterproof, and hard as hell to damage. I kicked myself when I spent that much money for this light on a whim years back -- its one of the best regrets I have ever had. Going on almost 3 years of fantastic use, it has to be on the list. Not the brightest kid on the block by any means anymore, but it is the light I rely on for any situation, and if I could only take one, this is it.

runners up for #2 and 3:

2: RA Clicky, 140cn. Bought it for my mom - fantastic light, but not "mine." Other posters have described how good this light is.

3: Surefire E2e incan: horrid battery life, but the form factor, color rendering, durability and throw outdoors makes for a great second light to the novatac [2 is 1, 1 is none, right?]. Been kicking butt for almost 7 years strong. Was the first light I owned where I experienced the, "hey, can I borrow yours?" - when asked by buds going on late night bathroom breaks and hikes at night in the middle of nowhere in baja mexico.

aldagoods

Newly Enlightened

RichS -

To clairfy - being that I dont really own the RA clicky, consider the 120P as my must have, with the E2e as second.

Mynock

Newly Enlightened

Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to good flashlights, I have a couple now but I must say the one I find absolutely indispensable is my PD20, since getting it I take it everywhere with me and now I can not imagine not having it!

toos

Newly Enlightened

Zebralight H501. Wish I had the one with the new UI, but its a great light anyway.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

All votes added! :popcorn:

G'day, my vote is for 1. muyshondt aeon. But I also think ITP A2. ZEBRA SC30. and ITP A3. That way I have all my prefered battery combo's covered. And not to forget the Fenix EO1 of course. There is so many other great lights that I own how hard is this to narrow down.

Crikey, I must carry about 5 lights with me every were I go, I'd feel naked with out them. :rolleyes: Oh and one of them is the Zebra h501, then theres the quark cr2 mini, the IlluminaTI xpg, Freds La Patite Killer, the photon Rex, Nextorch K1,Leatherman monarch 200, and Thrunite Tikey. AAAHHH! How are you suppose to vote for just one must have. OH no I just remembered what about the Peak Shasta N, Or the WEE. I got to stop this its making my brain spin.:sick:

Here are the "must-have" votes I added for you:
  • Muyshondt Aeon
  • iTP A2
  • iTP A3
  • Zebralight SC30
  • Fenix E01
After that, it just sorta looked like you went into a Flashaholic "fit".....it's ok, happens to all of us from time to time...:huh:

I don't have a whole slew of pocket lights like that ^

But I have a few and as I'm sure I've already mentioned only a Quark AA could bump my Fenix P2D out of my pocket.

Where I'm rich in lights is in 2x123 or 1x18650. I have better than a dozen of those including EagleTac P10C2, Fenix TK10, Wolf Eyes Sniper, Ultrafire, Solarfire, Inova X02 and X03, Dereelight CL1H V3, Surefire G2 and C2 and Luma Power Luma Hunter M1. Along with a no name HA3 light and a few others.

Of these the EagleTac, Inova and LumaPower are ones I'd try HARD to replace!

PlayboyJoeShmoe - I had a hard time deciphering your "must-have" lights out of this. If you have a specific light(s) that is a "must-have" for you, let me know and I'll add it (them).

RichS -

To clairfy - being that I dont really own the RA clicky, consider the 120P as my must have, with the E2e as second.

Thanks for the clarification. Votes added. :thumbsup:

zosocpf

Newly Enlightened

owned quaqrk aa & mini, nitecore d10sp, nitecore d10r2, jetbeam pro1, zebralitght h501w, and sc5ow...my vote goes to zebralight sc50w

Didji

Newly Enlightened

My dad had the SureFire LX2, and he liked it, but dunno about the others.

CoachV

Newly Enlightened

I would like to add the 4Sevens Quark 123^2.

Kelly G

Newly Enlightened

I would like to add quark aa2 and fenix tk20 for must have lights

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fenix LD20 and TK11 my EDC when not working
Pelican7060 LED my EDC while working
Streamlight SuperTac is just need to have even though it's impractical

Machete God

Enlightened

No problem at all - others have done the same thing. Vote added for the Quark MiNi AA, which puts it equal with the SF LX2 in the rankings - not bad! It is a nice light - a friend of mine has one and I was pretty impressed with the tiny size for an AA light. I am just more of a CR2/CR123 light kind of guy due to the extra capacity to size ratio of those batteries. But I do see why the AA/AAA format lights are so popular due to the readily available power source.

I have a hunch that it's not only because it runs off widely available AA batteries. Have you tried one of these running off a li-ion 14500? 300 OTF lumens :eek:oo:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a hunch that it's not only because it runs off widely available AA batteries. Have you tried one of these running off a li-ion 14500? 300 OTF lumens :eek:oo:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the RCR123 lights as well, but certainly the AA/AAA form factor is FAR more versatile from a powering standpoint and 14500's are a God Send to the AA lights that will run them. If I had to pick only one or the other, I'd have to give the nod to AA form factor for superb powering versatility!

Status
Not open for further replies.