The ice storm cometh

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, actually the weather for the rest of the weekend was kind of a non-event, as they say. Cold but not a lot of snow. The winds have been brisk, but not like the gale force stuff on Friday. Windchills about -5 to -10F were pretty common.

It does get cold and it does snow here in February. I like to kid my stepson that I really did walk several miles to school in -12F weather and in the snow, but no, I wasn't barefoot. I remember pictures of the "blizzard of '66" where people in the northern part of Rochester dug out of their houses. While that's not too abnormal, the fact that they did so from the second story was a little bit unusual. We only had about 9' or so (almost 3 meters) drifts in my backyard. That was in a small sized lot in the city and not rural or even suburban. But that was a long time ago and not to be considered a regular amount of snowfall.

And the temperature last night at quitting time on the time/temp doohickus at the bank near where I work was only -52F. As the book says, "Don't panic." They had a little malfunction. It was actually about +15F.

Although, there was a nice picture of a lighthouse on Lake Erie with fairly massive icicles on it. They were at an almost 40 degree angle! I'll try to find a link.

Edit: this should work -- Hmmm... on further inspection it doesn't look like the icicles were at 40 degrees. More like 50 degrees or more! http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1756&e=1&u=/060217/480/nydd50302171950

True blizzards are a set of circumstances something like where the winds are more than 35 mph for several hours, the visibility has to be less than .25 miles, and it has to snow for a given length of time.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
alaskawolf said:
COLD_website.jpg

After seeing that pic, I don't think I'll say "it's too cold" again. :green:

alaskawolf

Enlightened
vr4-45below-2small.jpg

my friends car last month in front of the farthest north dennys, it actually dropped to -56F with no windchill a few hours after that picture was taken and that was the High for that day too.

lots of Ice fog and a few hours of daylight. makes having green Lasers and flashlights fun and practical, unfortunatly it also kills the batteries fast.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have to adjust the thermostat anymore. If it's too warm I look at alaskawolf's photos. If it's too cold I look at cy's fireplace insert photos.

Here's what chmsam was talking about;

capt.jpg