THE INCREDIBLE TORCH!...Helping Everyone Around Danger!

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
Well, Ariella will be getting her learner's permit soon -- and I get to teach her how to drive. :) Then she can finally get a job since she'll have state-issued ID. I've given her a few small knives and lights. She still has a great smile, but it would be a lot bigger if we had the next installment from Longman and Shorty! We can't leave these guys in the hospital!!

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Ariella will be getting her learner's permit soon -- and I get to teach her how to drive. :) Then she can finally get a job since she'll have state-issued ID. I've given her a few small knives and lights. She still has a great smile, but it would be a lot bigger if we had the next installment from Longman and Shorty! We can't leave these guys in the hospital!!

+1 to hearing more about Shorty and Longman.

Steve,
One Question . . . Standard or Automatic . . . ? ? ?

GL

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened

One Question . . . Standard or Automatic . . . ? ? ?

Short answer, Yes.

More complete answer, she'll learn to drive almost the same way I did. I had the advantage of driving a tractor both in fields and on roads from harvest to the grain elevator way before I was old enough to drive cars. She'll miss that (and the really basic manual transmission on that tractor). That said, we'll start with my wife's automatic so she can get used to driving without the distraction of shifting. When she's keeping it between the ditches with the shiny side up we'll transition to my car with the 5-speed. She'll get a better driving education than most of her peers -- IMHO. :) I've been talking about things I'm doing and decisions I'm making when she's in the car for the past few years. Learner's permit tomorrow afternoon! :party:

Hmm, keeping almost on topic, yes, there are flashlights in both cars, especially when I'm in them, but I don't have one of Henry's lights yet. :naughty:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time just isn't permitting right now. I made some good headway toward my masters as I have finished the first three classes with a pretty good GPA. If I had more time, I certainly would continue on. Work has been steady as well. The worse the economy gets, the more work I have to do.

Not real sure this thread could get "off topic".

Manual transmissons are great, unless your trying to drink coffee, shave, adjust the radio, and shift simultaneously while lighting a cigarrete and putting on makeup. Thankfully, I don't do these things, but reloading a pistol can be a trick while driving!

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manual transmissons are great, unless your trying to drink coffee, shave, adjust the radio, and shift simultaneously while lighting a cigarrete and putting on makeup. Thankfully, I don't do these things, but reloading a pistol can be a trick while driving!

Ha! The other day a car is coming towards me out on a two lane road and when it passes by me I noticed that it is being driven by a teenage girl who is looking in the rear view mirror and messing with her hair with her left hand while holding a cell phone to her ear with her right hand! Amazing, neither hand on the wheel and no eyes on the road! - A candidate for a Darwin Award if ever there was one!

Last edited:

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
Time just isn't permitting right now. I made some good headway toward my masters as I have finished the first three classes with a pretty good GPA.

Good for you! Not trying to skew your priorities; just want to encourage you.

Not real sure this thread could get "off topic".
but it's a great thread! :party:

Manual transmisions are great...

They're certainly my preference. I find most automatics burn a little more gasoline to get me where I want to go.

...reloading a pistol can be a trick while driving!

You live and work in a state far more sane than California so magazines larger than 10 rounds shouldn't be a problem -- unless you like .45 (like I do). Then again, maybe you're engaging targets at too great a distance. :nana:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
sooooo, its been just over a year and youve come up in discussion in another thread. Got Lumens, DBCstm, and I have been reminiscing. Talking about all of the_guy_with_no_name's series of lights and the potential they have when joining up with shorty & longman. If you havent seen, guy has quite a talent for creating beautiful and useful products.

Hope you find time sometime in the future to continue your much loved entertaining.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1
Hogokansatsukan, soon I will have a Cousin for Shorty, he's called Tiny. Me think's he would delighted to be reunited with his distant cousin :).
While I'm at it, how is Ariella doing? She start college?
GL

ps I hope I spelled her name correctly.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm always surprised when this thread comes back up.
smflorkey, how is your daughter doing. Hope things are going well.
I've been living a country western song for the last year or so. About the only thing that hasn't happened is my truck was not repossessed.
Oh, and not Marty Robbins "El Paso". If that were the case, I'd be dead.

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
While I'm at it, how is Ariella doing? She start college?

Thanks for the PM, GL. I've been busy and away from CPF for a while. It is good to see Hogo restart this tale of adventure. :twothumbs We'll have something else to read while we're celebrating Thanksgiving with my mother near Phoenix.

Ariella (yes, good spelling) is busily getting the first two years of college out of the way in a community college. It all transfers to the big schools and costs a lot less. It will probably take her more than two years to get the English, Math and other basic requirements done since she is also pursuing art and keeping in practice on her cello. There is a class called "String Literature" where a lot of local musicians meet to form small groups, practice a lot of music, then perform it in end-of-semester recitals. All in all, she's doing well and not trying to get it all done at once. Still working on her driver's license since practice time has to be with me in my Copious Spare Time; her mother doesn't want that job. :kiss: Hmm. Art. Maybe we should offer Hogo a drawing he can use with Shorty and Longman. I'll have to discuss that with her. :thinking:

If we had more time we'd check up on Hogo directly since we'll be bringing one of Ariella's friends from the Phoenix airport down to the University of Arizona (in Tucson) on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Me taking on too much? Yep! But it's all good.

/Steve